What does the past decade of Yankee baseball say?

What does the past decade of Yankee baseball say about a franchise that assumes and expects it can win the world series every year?

I would assert that even the expectation creates a self defeating pattern of overspending, hiring the wrong players, overlooking those role players and "chemistry" players that are needed to make a collection of players into a team.

For many players, getting that big fat Yankee contract is the end of the line, not an incentive to excel.

Doesn't it make more sense to have an outstanding farm system and utilize the "eye of the tiger" in great players on their way up? Or at the very least, balance a strong farm system with very selective free agent signings. Guess what Yank fans? You have not been getting your money's worth.

Time to defer gratification and accept a few years of development ......

And this is from a Red Sox fan whose team has been trying to do George Light , but according to what I've heard is now focusing more resources on the minors.

So what do you say Yankee fans? Do you need another Arod? Or another 4 players like Chacon, Small, Cano and Wong?

Isn't George the real problem here?

OddF-

The answers to your questions are fairly simple:
1-No team can win the world series every year. There are too many good teams out and about. It is not just winning the world series (as it was in the 20' through 60's) it is also getting to the Big Dance. Team get hot, such as the Marlins a couple of years ago, and take down the better teams.
2-I agree with you about Chemistry. The Yankees of the late 90's have great chemistry and true desire to win, and also to win the Big Games.
3-I am not real certain that someone such as A-Rod is only interested in money. Like he certainly does have enough. If anything I believe he pushed to hard, and was not patient enough in this last series.
4-A good farm system takes years to develop, and you have to be patient. That simply is not George's Style. Although some of the Yankee Key Players were brought up through farms in the 90's, the vast majority of them wer either bought or traded for.
5-I would not call George a problem. He does have a style that not everyone would agree with, however, he certainly has packed the house in the past several years.
6-The Yanks lost this series, and it was close. They lost to the BoSox last year, and fell one inning short of moving one. They got beat in the World Series by a Red Hot Marlins Team. I mean it is not like they have not be real close.
7-I believe that you cannot over-react to such things.

That $$ alone cannot buy a World Series. As said previously, it's a long season and there are many good teams. Injuries, etc. happen during the season, so it is tough to get the the Big Dance. George, not doubt about it, is a pain in the ass. He's chasing away Mel, Cashman, pissing off Torre, etc. I've always appreciated his desire to win and put a good product out there, but he has no class and it has a negative impact on the team and players in terms of his demands. I'm surprised the Yankees got as far as they did this year. I think the chemistry isn't bad on the team and A-Rod was trying to hard in the playoffs and didn't do what he's capable of. In a short series, anything can happen and the Yankees have no shortage of weaknesses. Should be a lot of changes for 2006. George will see to that.

Fuck em

It's hard watching the Yankee gobble up every mvp and cy young candidate on the market. But at least they haven't been rewarded with a World Series win in 5 years.

Here's something that may bother some of you Yankee fans,

THE SUCCESS OF THE LATE 90'S TEAM HAD MORE TO DO WITH BUCK Showalter AND THE PREVIOUS GM AND ORGANIZATION THAN TORRE, CASHMAN AND THE CURRENT CREW.

Torre inherited a great team in 96 and rolled with those players and that style of play. Then after a couple years the Yankee decided that winning every year feels good and they should win EVERY year. Well you can't duplicate the kind of chemistry, talent and luck(yes luck, there's always a little luck in baseball). So they try to patch this team at the end of it's roll with big name players. First Clemens who performed adequately but really amassed his wins by being protected by the Yankee bat. I think his ERA was about 4.00 as a Yankee. But they happen to win games he pitched so that was ok. Then Mussina, who was pretty good so that worked out. Then Giambi, then Sheffield, then Arod, each less effective than the last. So what you have now is this mostrosrosity that can kick the living daylight out of you on the field or easily be beaten. Like a big clumsy baseball giant, "Me play baseball Whap! Bap!"

The team should have ran it's natural course, a great run in the late 90's then a fade. Thats what happens. But that wasn't good enough for them. So I say Fuck em.

oddfellow4870 said:
What does the past decade of Yankee baseball say about a franchise that assumes and expects it can win the world series every year?

I would assert that even the expectation creates a self defeating pattern of overspending, hiring the wrong players, overlooking those role players and "chemistry" players that are needed to make a collection of players into a team.

For many players, getting that big fat Yankee contract is the end of the line, not an incentive to excel.

Doesn't it make more sense to have an outstanding farm system and utilize the "eye of the tiger" in great players on their way up? Or at the very least, balance a strong farm system with very selective free agent signings. Guess what Yank fans? You have not been getting your money's worth.

Time to defer gratification and accept a few years of development ......

And this is from a Red Sox fan whose team has been trying to do George Light , but according to what I've heard is now focusing more resources on the minors.

So what do you say Yankee fans? Do you need another Arod? Or another 4 players like Chacon, Small, Cano and Wong?

Isn't George the real problem here?

I'll take the 1996 Yankess over these Yankees any day and their 96 million payroll. Those Yankees back then, weren't superstars, but they all knew how to play as a TEAM and win games.

We don't have a team now, in fact we haven't had a team in four years, just superstars who cannot and will not gel as a TEAM.

ChuckUFarlie said:
Here's something that may bother some of you Yankee fans,

THE SUCCESS OF THE LATE 90'S TEAM HAD MORE TO DO WITH BUCK Showalter AND THE PREVIOUS GM AND ORGANIZATION THAN TORRE, CASHMAN AND THE CURRENT CREW.

Torre inherited a great team in 96 and rolled with those players and that style of play. .

But what did Showlater do with them, nothing. He had the same guys and did not do anything with them. They did get to the wild card one year. Look what that same team did with Torre. You cannot argue who did better.

The Yankees signing all those top free agents also got rid of all their farm system talent. Where do you think Bernie, Jeter, Posada and MO came from. The farm system. Where did Cano come from? Farm system. How about Soriano? Farm system. But he is gone and we got A-rod. A-rod, MVP numbers but no rings if you cannot win in October or put up numbers in October, you will not succeed in pinstrips.

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
They Yankees didnt lose because of lack of chemistry and homegrown players, they lost because their core pitching staff could take social security.

When it comes to baseball take less stock in "character", "teamwork", "clutch", etc and look harder at OPS, ERA and WHIP

oddfellow4870 said:
You are right on the money Oddfellow. IMHO they are just a bunch of overpaid jocks that underperformed the entire season. Unfortnately, it was at the expense oif the fans and the sponsors. Cmon...$6-$7 for a beer??? lol.

seeker6591 said:
You are right on the money Oddfellow. IMHO they are just a bunch of overpaid jocks that underperformed the entire season. Unfortnately, it was at the expense oif the fans and the sponsors. Cmon...$6-$7 for a beer??? lol.

Thats what we pay for beer at NYC gentlemens clubs but the ticket prices are wayyyy to much. And I am sure they are going to go up again next year to finance the new staduim.

I am a huge Yankee fan. The yankees had more heart than talent in the late 90's even though there was still talent. Today there's lots of talent, no heart. $204 million can buy talent but not heart.

Daddycool is correct. The nucleus of the successful Yankees team came from its farm system. Posada, Soriano, Williams, and Jeter were guys they developed and held on to. The reason they were given a chance to develop was when Steinbrenner was suspended for two years in the mid-1990s. gene Michael knew that he had to hold on to players he thought would help them to win in a few years. Signing all the free agents not only cost them prospects but future draft choices. The team needs to rebuild its farm system or it's going to get old in a real hurry. Then the only answer will be to trade its aging stars for prospects and practically give away those whose value have dropped but are too expensive for small market teams. In that case, they will be paying part of the player's salary to get rid of him.

Daddycool said:
But what did Showlater do with them, nothing. He had the same guys and did not do anything with them. They did get to the wild card one year. Look what that same team did with Torre. You cannot argue who did better.

They were just starting to get it together. If Sholwater had a chance to manage them it the later 90's, the results would be about the same. Don't forget their biggest weapon wasn't totally developed yet, I mean Mariano. My point is that Torre came into a team that was ready to win it all in 96. They were developing and just starting to get their act together 93-95. The cast of superstarts now are not the same even though they look good on paper. Torre's job is actually harder now. If he still has a job.

Lets face it guys. I think its time for the entire Yankee organization to take a breather, do a little soul searching, exercise some humility and then make the appropriate changes without all the drama and suspense. Without this, it will just be the ...same old, same old ...for 2006. The fans will continue to be paying exhorbitant prices for an at best, mediocre sports product. Just my 2 cents here.

First off, I think many people are way over-reacting to the Yanks losing. They were close to moving on, and the Angels played well.

As for the Yankee Farm System, they did bring along a few folks: Mo, Bernie, Soriano, Jorge, Jeter, etc. However, you still have to remember that they traded or bought O'Neil, Brosius, Key, Knoblach, etc.

As for the age of the Yankee Pitching Staff it certainly was old this year. However, Pavano ain't no senior citizen.

yankee bashing really give it a rest

you can really say this about alot of good teams it takes money to build a great team yes the yanks spend alot of money as other teams do maybe not as much but when they loose nobody brings up the money they spent. the reason you do when yanks loose i don't really know thay have won it alot but just ask bostons fans you can't win them all. they need to rebuild with some younger players get rid of some of the big money players and we will be ok. final note: when boston went 3 and out not much said about how much money they spent or the don't have good players and they are the defending champs, this is who needs alittle bashing 3 and out.

Last edited:
Ain't the BOSOX the 2nd highest payroll. Not all that much different than the Yanks. Again, the BOSOX also ran into a hot team-the ChiSox. In a short series almost anything can take place. And the Braves spend a few bucks also.

What is with the Braves? They won the division something like 14 straight season and only have 1 WS championship. They seem to make some great pickups every year (tim Hudson and Mike Hampton this past year) they have a great deal of success with their minor league system, but they hit the playoffs and their bats go soft or the bullpen blows it every year.

biglarry1 said:
What is with the Braves? They won the division something like 14 straight season and only have 1 WS championship. They seem to make some great pickups every year (tim Hudson and Mike Hampton this past year) they have a great deal of success with their minor league system, but they hit the playoffs and their bats go soft or the bullpen blows it every year.
This sounds similar to our Bronx Bombers story...don't you think???

Bud Selig must be crying in his beer that the Yankees and Red Sox are out. Ratings for the playoffs are down more than 25%. There are people out there who hate the Yankees, but they sure tune it when they're on.