What do you do when Anti-Depressants don't work?

Some times situations occur when acceptance on your part either through the use of anti-depressants or talk therapy simply won't work. For instance, your in a bad marriage and you have small children. Now many people might say that you and your spouse should stay together and work out your differences for the sake of the children. You and your spouse (louse) go to couples counseling (assuming that she is willing to do so) and it turns out that your marriage is beyond salvation. Lets assume further, that your spouse is extremely vindictive and asks for the house, alimony and child support as well as therapy for the children. All of this is far more then you can afford to pay. You tell her lawyer and /or the Judge that, and you are told that you won't have any visitation Rights. Your children grow up hating you (your wife poisons them against you as well). On top of that they ruin your credit. Now what?

Now what, what? Life sucks and then you die. Cognitive behavioral therapy might help - talk therapy is useless - so you have no choice but to deal with the hand you were dealt. My situation isn't half as bad as the one you describe, but it's bad enough, and I just have to be there for my kids and hope they do better than I did.

Anti depressants are not supposed to create a better life but aid you to cope with your terrible life so you have a clearer vision to make a plan to improve it. Your life is what you make of it. You made bad choices in your past now learn from your mistakes and make logical ones for your future. The only way is to let go of the hate and anger and concentrate on what will make you happy and take some steps in that direction. Only you have the power to change your irrational way of thinking. To assume that your kids will hate you because your marriage fell apart is irrational, make significant jesters now and keep it up that will assure your love for them. Write them hand written thoughtful letters, make the time with them conflict free and as happy as possible. Everyone is in debt, you can't go to jail for it, who knows what the future will bring. Your marriage didn't work out, pick up the pieces and deal with the situation at hand with a clear and informed mind and let your bitterness go.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Jesus, elmo, is this the situation you are in? I have no idea why I ventured into this thread, but, man, I feel terribly for you. Good luck and do the best you can. The words really come off as empty...sorry.

Anti depressants are not supposed to create a better life but aid you to cope with your terrible life so you have a clearer vision to make a plan to improve it. Your life is what you make of it. You made bad choices in your past now learn from your mistakes and make logical ones for your future. The only way is to let go of the hate and anger and concentrate on what will make you happy and take some steps in that direction. Only you have the power to change your irrational way of thinking. To assume that your kids will hate you because your marriage fell apart is irrational, make significant jesters now and keep it up that will assure your love for them. Write them hand written thoughtful letters, make the time with them conflict free and as happy as possible. Everyone is in debt, you can't go to jail for it, who knows what the future will bring. Your marriage didn't work out, pick up the pieces and deal with the situation at hand with a clear and informed mind and let your bitterness go.
Do you remember Miki? Surly you must. She tried like hell to accept her life. She did her best to provide for her children, she tried to see the funny side of life (she even tried her hand at stand up comedy).

No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't come to terms with her life. I think her emotional state contributed to the illness that eventually took her life.

If her extreme state had caused her to find another occupation, another life, no matter how difficult that might have been for her, then her hopelessness, anger, depression, etc. would have been a positive force for a real change, a good change.

Jesus, elmo, is this the situation you are in? I have no idea why I ventured into this thread, but, man, I feel terribly for you. Good luck and do the best you can. The words really come off as empty...sorry.
No, this is not my situation. I used this as an example of things that happen every day to people. Things that all the anti-depressants and talk therapy just won't cure. Things that sometimes drive other wise normal people to do extreme things, things that they otherwise wouldn't do.

Last edited:
What would happen if a bunch of men who did find themselves in this situation decided to band together and change the divorce laws.

What would happen if a bunch of men who did find themselves in this situation decided to band together and change the divorce laws.
Off topic, do you even realize how much better we have it here as far as human rights laws than other countries. There are so many other bigger problems in this country than divorce laws. Health issues, air pollution, food contamination to name a few. Even so we live on one of the best countries in the world. Just because a person becomes directly involved with not so favorable law towards them does not mean it does not help the masses. Think beyond your own personal needs.

Off topic, do you even realize how much better we have it here as far as human rights laws than other countries. There are so many other bigger problems in this country than divorce laws. Health issues, air pollution, food contamination to name a few. Even so we live on one of the best countries in the world. Just because a person becomes directly involved with not so favorable law towards them does not mean it does not help the masses. Think beyond your own personal needs.
Today, most women work outside the home (housewives are becoming rare), many make more money then their husbands do. We very well might soon have our first woman president, but I guess the battle of the sexes will go on. Vive La Diffenence! (sic?)

Do you remember Miki? Surly you must. She tried like hell to accept her life. She did her best to provide for her children, she tried to see the funny side of life (she even tried her hand at stand up comedy).

No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't come to terms with her life. I think her emotional state contributed to the illness that eventually took her life.

If her extreme state had caused her to find another occupation, another life, no matter how difficult that might have been for her, then her hopelessness, anger, depression, etc. would have been a positive force for a real change, a good change.
Very Sad

People on every level never know how good they it. Being in a good health is the best example.

...Everyone is in debt, you can't go to jail for it...
Try missing a few child support payments and see how quickly you get locked up. And no, this is not my situation, but I have had to deal with a number of long-term absences by reliable employees caused by exactly this problem. This, to me, is the ultimate counterintuitive policy -- can't pay? Off to jail until you pay. How do you make money while you're in jail? Not my problem.

The only antidepressant most of these guys took was alcohol -- usually in copious quantities. Sometimes that caused even more absenteeism -- but that's another story.