Try a sexy Dane or Swede

IMHO, I've visited Sweden and Finland and didn't think the food there was anything to write home about or go out of your way to find a restaurant that serves it. Be happy with the meatballs at IKEA.

Did anyone see the Anthony Bourdain episodes in Iceland and Sweden? Apparently I'm not alone in that opinion.

Beautiful blondes, yes. But they have to eat a diet of bland herring on Wasa bread to look that way.

There's a Swedish bar in the LES/Chinatown border that serves Akvavit. Sorry, the name escapes me. They serve food too.

Last edited:
Ozzy said:
Absolut is great for mixed drinks because of it's lack of flavor. It's great to feed the girls in screwdrivers and assoted friut drinks cause they can't taste the vodka and get drunk pretty quick.

Absolut n cranberry.... a panty remover.
I like Absolut as an aperitif, served cold out of the freezer. For some reason it gets a slightly thicker consistency than other vodkas when extremely cold, which I think gains it some points as a pre-main course liqueur.

What I do is cut the top off a half gallon waxed milk or half-half container, fill it fill of water about half way, place the bottle down its center, freeze it, peel the carton away and score a pattern on the ice. Than present it as a center piece on a silver tray with silver and crystal shot glasses. Very, very cold and a consistency slightly less thick than natural maple syrup.

Akvavit - the restaurant

I went there twice, it is not inexpensive. My main impression was the service. Incredibly non intrusive while preternaturally attuned to actual needs. Totally astonishing.

Food - 1 - 10 an easy 9 but: that is not considering American tastes. You have to be an adventurous diner to enjoy. The salmon is outrageous.

Last edited:
If you're polite, they'll give you a gratis shot of gammel dansk at Good World. Try it.

If you're feeling charming after the gammel dansk, Scandinavian girls have a liberal attitude towards casual sex and are easy to bed.

A wet afterhours blowjob makes up for bad service.

Enjoy.

Aquavit is a Christmas-time drink. Common for the holidays. Swedes don't drink it straight. They often mix it with berries and roots and whatnot. Everyone kind of has his own homemade concoction of mixer.

A Swedish friend of mine gave me this info. I know a lot of you were dying to see this thread bumped back to life. What can I say, I'm bored tonight.

I've been drinking a Swedish vodka called Svedka. I swear this stuff is much better then Absolut, it's smoother, cleaner, crisper and more favorable then Absolut. It's distilled five times, which seems to make charcoal filtration unnecessary. The best part is that the 1.75 liter bottle is only about one dollar more then Smirnoff (which it is far, far superior to!).

In fact it is better then Ketel One, if you like mild tasting vodkas.

I guess the company that makes Svedka just has developed a better, more efficient, less expensive, higher quality manufacturing process then anyone else. I would say that Svedka is the Honda (or Toyota?) of vodkas.

Svedka boasts on its bottle that it was rated the second best tasting vodka after Grey Goose. I believe it was actually cheaper than Smirnoff by a buck or two in my liquor store.

elmo16 said:
In fact it is better then Ketel One, if you like mild tasting vodkas.
I used to drink Ketel One martini's all the time. Switched to Grey Goose. Ketel One had some sort of bite at the end of the drink I just didn't appreciate but tolerated for a long time. Grey Goose went down much smoother.

My current comfort drink is the gimlet. Talk about not tasting the alcohol...

Thats a myth created by the buyers of cheap japanese cars...

How many 20 year old Hondas and Toyotas do you see on the road compared to Caddy's, BMW's and Mercedes?

If you like really fine vodka and are willing to pay a lot (Gray Goose prices), I would suggest trying Chopin Vodka. It is a Polish Vodka (no Polish jokes please) they make some of the finest vodka in the world, in fact vodka originated in Poland, not Russia. Chopin is one of the few vodkas still made with potatoes. Potato vodka has a slightly different taste then wheat vodka, a bigger, richer, somewhat starchier taste with a very, very slight oiliness. It is very clean and smooth and goes down real easy.

This is one vodka that should be drank straight to be truly appreciated. I would also recommend not freezing it as freezing it hides much of it's rich, complex taste (I would also not freeze a fine whiskey).