Try a sexy Dane or Swede

Have you ever tried Akvavit? This is a clear spirit from Denmark and Sweden. It has a crisp, savory flavor due to the fact that it is flavored with caraway seeds.
Many people drink it with a seafood meal (Herring and Gravalax are particular favorites).

To me it tastes like a good, fresh rhy bread.

I'll give it a shot if I can find it.

Till then I'll stick with Finlandia vodka.... not Sweed or Dane, but close enough and a hell of a lot better than Grey Goose for all you pretentious taste disabled who think that french piss is good.

If you want a good vodka and want to save a shit load of money try Smirnoff (in the red label). No snob appeal, but a damn good vodka.

Last edited:
I saw a blind taste test on TV with all the name vodkas. The testing was done by a group of men & women. The preferred vodka was Smirnoff's. Surprise, surprise!

misterxyz said:
I saw a blind taste test on TV with all the name vodkas. The testing was done by a group of men & women. The preferred vodka was Smirnoff's. Surprise, surprise!
I think they preferred Smirnoff over all others when it was mixed, but not straight.

I've always loved Mr. Stoli.

Ozzy said:
I'll give it a shot if I can find it.

Till then I'll stick with Finlandia vodka.... not Sweed or Dane, but close enough and a hell of a lot better than Grey Goose for all you pretentious taste disabled who think that french piss is good.
This recent pretentious vodka craze is total bullshit.

Is Finlandia the same price as Stoli? I'll try it. Out of principle, I won't pay over $25 or so for a fifth of vodka.

Last edited:
Martini's....

Having been a lover of extra dry Martini's (otherwise known as Vodka well chilled, pass the vermouth) with olives for over 25 years I can say with authority that there is a difference in the taste of and qualities of Vodkas. Having gone through the years when Smirnoff was top shelf, then Stoli, then Absolute to where we are now it has been amazing to watch. Personally I enjoy a nice Grey Goose these days...However, Kettle One, Absolute and even an occasional Stoli will still work. I do not think of it as snobby or anything like that I just think we all have our own tastes and price limitations. Now, when I see a 22 year old making a sour face after sipping his/her first martini of the day after spending $12 on Goose or the like, I know they just wasted their money and followed the trends of their generation.

It is the same with Tequila, which I also love. You can spend $20 on a bottle of Cuervo Gold that in my opinion is BETTER than a $60 bottle of Cabo Wabo. Now there are some very good expensive Tequilas out there like Tre Generationes or Coralao (Sp)...It is still a matter of budget and taste.

Same with Scotch...Some guys prefer single malts others like blends. For my taste and since I only have 2-3 scotch on the rocks a year, I prefer a nice well aged single malt...

Getting back to the original statement, anyone mixing anything other than Vodka and Ice is wasting money on anything other than Smirnoff which is a fine mixing vodka.

Just my .02...Dave

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
This recent pretentious vodka craze is total bullshit.

Is Finlandia the same price as Stoli? I'll try it. Out of principle, I won't pay over $25 or so for a fifth of vodka.

Finlandia's prob under $20 in most places... Definitely cheaper than or same price range as Stoli where I've seen it. There's a good Russian vodka called Kremlichnia or something like that. I had a Ruskie client on wall street give me a case a few years back. At the time it wasn't sold in the US and he had his cases sent from overseas. I know it's available now at some stores... really good stuff sells around $30-40 a bottle.

pony66car said:
Personally I enjoy a nice Grey Goose these days...However, Kettle One, Absolute and even an occasional Stoli will still work.
Stolichnaya is far better than Absolut, in my opinion. Smoother, more drinkable. Absolut reaps the benefits from great advertising, but falls way short on taste. Who are you going to trust with mid-priced vodka, Swedes or Russians? C'mon.

Kettle One is good, I agree.

It has nothing to do with price. I refuse to buy Grey Goose because of their ridiculously pretentious commericals.

Absolut is great for mixed drinks because of it's lack of flavor. It's great to feed the girls in screwdrivers and assoted friut drinks cause they can't taste the vodka and get drunk pretty quick.

Absolut n cranberry.... a panty remover.

Here, here.

By the way, everyone please take note. There is only one T in Ketel One.

pony66car said:
Having been a lover of extra dry Martini's (otherwise known as Vodka well chilled, pass the vermouth) with olives for over 25 years I can say with authority that there is a difference in the taste of and qualities of Vodkas. Having gone through the years when Smirnoff was top shelf, then Stoli, then Absolute to where we are now it has been amazing to watch. Personally I enjoy a nice Grey Goose these days...However, Kettle One, Absolute and even an occasional Stoli will still work. I do not think of it as snobby or anything like that I just think we all have our own tastes and price limitations. Now, when I see a 22 year old making a sour face after sipping his/her first martini of the day after spending $12 on Goose or the like, I know they just wasted their money and followed the trends of their generation.

It is the same with Tequila, which I also love. You can spend $20 on a bottle of Cuervo Gold that in my opinion is BETTER than a $60 bottle of Cabo Wabo. Now there are some very good expensive Tequilas out there like Tre Generationes or Coralao (Sp)...It is still a matter of budget and taste.

Same with Scotch...Some guys prefer single malts others like blends. For my taste and since I only have 2-3 scotch on the rocks a year, I prefer a nice well aged single malt...

Getting back to the original statement, anyone mixing anything other than Vodka and Ice is wasting money on anything other than Smirnoff which is a fine mixing vodka.

Just my .02...Dave

Last edited:
Few people realize just how simple vodka is to make. It isn't aged or blended, it can be made from wheat, potatoes, turnips, corn, barley, rice, oats, etc. The distillation process is exactly like that of the simplest grain alcohol, except it is made from vegetables or grain. A good vodka is triple filtered through charcoal, which is simple and cheap. There is no art involved in the making of vodka, it is purely an industrial process. A little bit of the ingredient that was distilled is fermented into a wine and is added to the distilled alcohol to add as much or as little flavor as the manufacturer desires to the vodka.

So it is easy to see that outrageous prices being charge for those super premium vodkas are a total scam, and why so many people are trying to sell these super premium vodkas.

Heading back to Akvavit, Aalborg (by appointment to the Royal Danish Court) is the brand you are most likely to see. And is generally available throughout NY and NJ.

Keep it in the freezer along with some glasses. It is meant to drunk straight up from the freezer.

Oh, try this restaurant

They have a large selection of Akvavit (or alternately, in Norway, Aquavit) at the bar.

Frommer's Review

Aquavit
Cuisine Scandinavian

Hours Daily noon-2:30pm and 5:30-10:30pm

Address 65 E. 55th St

Location Btwn Park and Madison aves, Midtown East & Murray Hill

Transportation Subway: E, F to Fifth Ave

Reservations Reservations recommended

Phone 212/307-7311

Prices Cafe main courses $9-$20; 3-course fixed-price meal $20 at lunch, $32 at dinner. Main dining room fixed-price meal $35 at lunch, $75 at dinner ($39 for vegetarians); 3-course pre-theater dinner (5:30-6:15pm) $55; tasting menus $48 at lunch, $100 at dinner ($58 for vegetarians); supplement for paired wines $25 at lunch, $50 at dinner

Credit Cards AE, DC, MC, V

No they don't serve Akvavit, but if you want to try Swedish food at a much lower price then Aquavit, try this place.

Scandinavia House: The Nordic Center In America

58 Park Ave., New York, NY 10016
between 37th and 38th Sts.
212-879-9779

AQ Café. Located on the ground floor. Enjoy some of the same Scandinavian delicacies offered at Aquavit (except the actual potato liquor namesake available at the restaurant) at relatively low prices for a snack or lunch. Smoked meats abound on the menu.

elmo16 said:
No they don't serve Akvavit, but if you want to try Swedish food at a much lower price then Aquavit, try this place.

Scandinavia House: The Nordic Center In America

58 Park Ave., New York, NY 10016
between 37th and 38th Sts.
212-879-9779

AQ Café. Located on the ground floor. Enjoy some of the same Scandinavian delicacies offered at Aquavit (except the actual potato liquor namesake available at the restaurant) at relatively low prices for a snack or lunch. Smoked meats abound on the menu.
I like AQ Cafe a lot, but it's a little misleading to say they have "the same" food as Aquavit. It's A LOT simpler. (I kinda like AQ Cafe more, if you want to know the truth.)