The Yankees Suck

Flounder

Sleeps with the (rest of the) fishes
Re: Jealousy and ignorance

Originally posted by imaginess

The last time I checked the Mets too are a professional ball club. Then tell me why they looked more like a second rate college team this year?
They had an asshole for a manager. I've been telling people that for years.

Two things, Imageness.

First, although the Yankees officially did have the best record in baseball, they unofficially did NOT if you consider strength of schedule. While the Yanks were loading up on weaker teams, the Angels had to play Seattle and Oakland.

Second, your lashing out at the Mets and their fans in this thread where no Met fan has yet commented shows that you are more of a Met hater than a Yankee fan. And the last time I checked, the Mets split six games with the Yanks this year, so to call the Mets a second-rate college team is to put the Yankees in the same class. And come to think of it, that's correct because the Yankees looked and choked like a vastly inferior team against the Angels.

It's time to take a reality check: the Yankees aren't a great team anymore; not even close.

Baseball

Yea the Yankees lost and the Mets didn't do squat this year.
But it's a friggin game that these clowns get paid to play and maybe they lost sight of the fun that could be had. I was a lousy baseball player ( switched to softball and pitched 2 no hitters) but still loved playing the game. I don't think pro ball players know how to love the game anymore.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Frustration vs true frustration

It is the most frustrating October in years for us Yankee fans, true enough, but imagine how they must feel in Boston: a team with two 20 game winners, three of the four lowest ERA starting pitchers in the league, the AL batting champion and 90-some (I forget) wins and the Red Sox don't even make it into the playoffs! It must have been on hell of a curse!

-Ww

I don't think that I will ever understand why a sufferer needs to point out that someone else is probably suffering more than him right now in order to try to alleviate some of his own suffering.

Wwanderer

Originally posted by Intown
It's time to take a reality check: the Yankees aren't a great team anymore; not even close.
I dunno, maybe winning 103 games (out of 161...so easily could have been 104 if they had played that last game) is only very good, not great. Anyway, I'd have to agree that the team has slipped a notch or so, maybe from great to very good or maybe from super-great to just great, but they are not as good as they were a few years ago. Of course, that is no surprise; you would have to be very naive or absurdly opptimistic to imagine that any sports franchise could maintain the dominance of the 1996-2000 Yankees indefinitely.

I second your contempt for the unbalanced schedule; it is truly lame! Designated hitters, interleague play, unbalanced schedules...what will they come up with next? Maybe clockwise baseball...on odd numbered days the order of the bases is reversed?

As for my dig at the Red Sox, I should mention that one of their fans (and a relative of mine, I will even admit) pointed this out to me in a sort of one-upsmanship of frustration in reponse to my disappointment in the Yankees. Also, as any serious baseball fan surely knows, rubbing salt in each other's wounds is an ancient and time honored tradition for Yankee and Red Sox fans; it is all part of the "fun".

-Ww

PS - I looked it up; the Red Sox won 93 (of 162).

Last edited:

Flounder

Sleeps with the (rest of the) fishes
One of the announcers pointed out in one of the first 2 games that the Yankees all seemed to be swinging for the fences, rather than trying to get a hit.

yes, a Home Run is better, but less likely to get.

Last edited:

Wwanderer

Go Twins!

See

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/2002mlbpayrolls.html

Personally, I am pulling for Minn now. At least it may help (not much, I know) quiet the claims that it is all a matter of total payroll the next time the Yankees win.

For those who do not want to bother looking at the numbers given in the above link, the teams ranked (out of 30) numbers 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 15, 27 and 28 made it into the playoffs. Those that survived the first round of eliminations were ranked 10, 13, 15 and 27. Apparently it takes more than just money...which is a good thing.

-Ww

To Intown

Intown consider this: Yes the Yankees were a big disappointment on how they lost the opening series with Anaheim. However the Mets based on their 102 million dollar payroll and high expectations with all the new players brought in were an absolute embarassment. They finished in last place in their bad division and were one of the worst teams in baseball. Case closed.

Allyb - I'll repeat my previous post:

"I don't think that I will ever understand why a sufferer needs to point out that someone else is probably suffering more than him right now in order to try to alleviate some of his own suffering."

Further, what is the need to change the subject and point out the Mets failure during the year? Does it make Yankee fans feel any better to do so? If so, then it is quite obvious that "Met-hater" applies more than "Yankee fan". And even further, if you indeed must change the subject, why single out the Met failure when practically the whole country is rejoicing in the Yankee demise, many of whom experienced failures by their own teams as well?

If I were a Yankee fan, the Met failure or any other team's failure for that matter would do nothing to sooth my wounds unless I possessed the emotional equivalent of a child involved in a sybling rivalry.

First, although the Yankees officially did have the best record in baseball, they unofficially did NOT if you consider strength of schedule. While the Yanks were loading up on weaker teams, the Angels had to play Seattle and Oakland.
The Yanks loaded up on weak teams?? "Unofficially" that must make me an idiot because i didn't even know the Yanks got to choose their schedule, stupid me thought that major league baseball made the schedule for all the teams, but it doesn't matter b/c its "unofficial".

Officially, somebody in this thread sounds like a really frustrated Yankee hater, who is reveling in the last two horribble seasons such a shitty team as the Yanks have had. I mean going to the seventh game of the series and losing, after winning it all in 4 of the prior 5 years, and following up with a first round exit, i mean fuck it Montreal should stay and they should get rid of the Yankee franchise

First

All the arrogant Yankee fans deserve it, 50% of which are bandwagoners who didn't know who the Yankees were before 1996. The previous successes of the Yankee franchise were never enough for those fans; they still needed to degrade Red Sox and Met fans. Karma does comes around sooner or later.

After a very successful 20th Century, the Yankees are now the doormat of the 21st Century because of the choke of all time against Arizona last year and this embarrassing series against the Angels that included blowing a 6-1 lead. I'm neither a Yankee or Met fan, but if I had to be one, I'd pick the Mets right now.

So to every single arrogant Yankee fan (and you all know who you are): THE YANKEES LOSE; THEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES LOSE.
followed by

[/B][/QUOTE]
I don't think that I will ever understand why a sufferer needs to point out that someone else is probably suffering more than him right now in order to try to alleviate some of his own suffering. [/B][/QUOTE]

how poetic

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Its interesting, this thread/arguement reminds me of the Palestinians dancing in the street post 9/11. Now granted, there is a vast difference in scale.

However, the emotion that makes "practically the whole country rejoice in the Yankee demise" is the same emotion that made these people so happy at the US being laid low. We have the biggest payroll, we have the most stars and the best toys. Other folks resent it. Its normal for humans -- resent what you don't have.

Does this mean that the Yankees should go hat in hand to Kofi Annan (i.e., Bud Selig) and ask permission to hire better pitching. Or should they keep doing what they've done for over 100 years -- play the game hard within the letter of the rules and let the chips fall where they may.

Pjorourke - I know you didn't intend to offend but comparing something as tragic as 9/11 in ANY way to something as meaningless as baseball makes me wince, even with your "vast difference in scale" qualifier. But I do appreciate the time you took in contributing to this thread.

Footy3 - As mentioned in a previous post, I am NOT a Yankee hater. But I do admit to being an arrogant-Yankee-fan hater. To all the true gentlemen Yankee fans and the Yankee players, I again offer my sincerest compassion. But to that other group, I only offer my complete and utter joy because you reap what you sow.

Actually, the person for whom I hold the most compassion is Derek Jeter. In my 60 years of watching sports, I have never witnessed a more complete ballplayer. He has the highest combined level of ability, intelligence, enthusiasm, work-ethic, team-focus, and understanding of his particular sport than any other athlete ever. But to see such a player be forced to endure the last two heartbreaking and choking years makes me quite sad. I could see the grief in his eyes during the post-game interviews. He is a true champion even though many of his fans are true losers.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Pjorourke - I know you didn't intend to offend but comparing something as tragic as 9/11 in ANY way to something as meaningless as baseball makes me wince, even with your "vast difference in scale" qualifier. But I do appreciate the time you took in contributing to this thread.
Meant no offense, just trying to provide perspective. I, personally, don't give a shit about baseball.

Wwanderer

If I were a Yankee fan, the Met failure or any other team's failure for that matter would do nothing to sooth my wounds unless I possessed the emotional equivalent of a child involved in a sybling rivalry.
The emotional highs and lows of a sports fan are not a forebrain function; they are very primitive, perhaps not unlike the feelings involved in sybling rivalry. At a nigh rational level there is surely no more reason to care about a professional sport than about a video game at the arcade in the local mall. That is why watching games is so much more fun after drinking a bunch of beer. It is, however, *fun*.

Nyah, nyah...the Yankees did better than the Mets again!

-Ww

Last edited:
There's no problem with rooting for a team unless you make that team such an integral part of your own self-worth that their failure affects you to a degree that you begin lashing out at other sports fans with enough venom that would paralyze an elephant. I see it all the time: life losers who need to identify with a sports winner to make themselves feel whole. Most arrogant Yankee fans fall into this category and you can personally witness some of them in the Yankee UG threads that are current.

Wwanderer

Don't underestimate the arrogance of life winners

I see it all the time: life losers who need to identify with a sports winner to make themselves feel whole. Most arrogant Yankee fans fall into this category
Oh, I don't know...life winners can be pretty arrogant Yankee fans too. One of the more successful men I know (if I mentioned his name, you'd likely know it...and "self made" too, born in very ordinary circumstances with less than an average share of life's advantages) suggested to me today that the Yankees let the Angels win this year, and Arizona last year as well, "for the good of baseball"!!! See if you can find a "life loser" who can top that for blind Yankee fan arrogance!

Btw, your distinction between the last century and this one surely makes as little sense as any distinction an inventive child could think up during a sybling rivalry. I will grant you that there is no reason to pay much attention to the accomplishments of the Yankee teams which share not a single player with the current team, but many of the key players, not to mention the manager and much of the coaching staff, of the 2002 Yankees were also at the core of the 1996-2000 Yankee dynasty. Why are they (and their rings) irrelevant just because we passed a round number in an arbitrary counting system? If we are going to do this by the rules of reason, let's try to keep it all rational. Right?

-Ww

Last edited: