The Yankees Suck

"Why are they (and their rings) irrelevant just because we passed a round number in an arbitrary counting system? If we are going to do this by the rules of reason, let's try to keep it all rational. Right?"

I hear you Ww. But is it then not equally unfair to go back to the beginning of baseball history for a ring count when many of the current teams weren't even in existence yet? For example, after Arizona won last year, a favorite comeback of arrogant Yankee fans was "well we got 26 rings, you only got one" even though Arizona has only existed for less than a decade. Therefore in my book, the current championship ring is all that matters; everything else is just ancient history, and that opinion is neither the product of an arbitrary counting system nor an inventive child.

"that the Yankees let the Angels win this year, and Arizona last year as well, "for the good of baseball"!!! See if you can find a "life loser" who can top that for blind Yankee fan arrogance!"

That's pretty funny, or maybe it's more pathetic than funny. I've also heard Yankee bashers say that the rest of the league let the Yankees win all those championships because a dynasty is good for sports. Simply amazing.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
History means something

Originally posted by Intown
I hear you Ww. But is it then not equally unfair to go back to the beginning of baseball history for a ring count when many of the current teams weren't even in existence yet? For example, after Arizona won last year, a favorite comeback of arrogant Yankee fans was "well we got 26 rings, you only got one" even though Arizona has only existed for less than a decade. Therefore in my book, the current championship ring is all that matters; everything else is just ancient history, and that opinion is neither the product of an arbitrary counting system nor an inventive child.
I hear you too and largely agree, with a few caveats:

Certainly the current ring is what all fans, and players etc, must take the most seriously. There is no fun in rooting for past victories surely, and it is definitely "sour grapes" to devalue the victories of this year's champions by comparing them to the loser's past victories. Nevertheless, the Yankee's long term record (or that of any other team) over many changes of personnel is surely somewhat interesting. Despite the fact that today's Yankees are not more closely related to the Yankee's of the 1920s or the 1950s than they are to any other team of that era (the name plate is the same, but nothing else), it is clear that there is some sort of continuity/tradition of excellence attached to the franchise; don't you think? Why is that so many titles and so many of the sport's greatest players belong to the Yanks way back into history?

Also, and more to the point, I do not think that each and every season is so independent that you have to think of each separately. Surely there is more glory and accomplishment in having the same core of players and managers dominate a sport for several years straight than just the sum of the individual wins. In other words, I think Jeter or Williams or Rivera or ... and most certainly Torre is justified in having some additional pride in having won 4 rings in five years with the same team and many of the same teammates. I can't believe that it would be more satisfying to have won the same number scattered through a career with different teams and teammates; I'll bet most players would prefer to do it that way if they had the choice. And surely it is a much better way to be long remembered, get to Cooperstown etc.

-Ww

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Re: Go Twins!

Originally posted by Wwanderer
For those who do not want to bother looking at the numbers given in the above link, the teams ranked (out of 30) numbers 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 15, 27 and 28 made it into the playoffs. Those that survived the first round of eliminations were ranked 10, 13, 15 and 27. Apparently it takes more than just money...which is a good thing.
I erroneously eliminated Atlanta (#7) prematurely with this post yesterday, but (as usual!) I turned out to be right in the end.

-Ww

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Re: Re: Go Twins!

Originally posted by Wwanderer
I erroneously eliminated Atlanta (#7) prematurely with this post yesterday, but (as usual!) I turned out to be right in the end.

-Ww
So you are adding the title soothsayer to that allready impressive resume?