The thrill of negotiating....

So what drives a person to negotiate for a service, or a product ?

I provide a product to a customer. The price can be negotiated to a certain threshold . Anything less and I lose money. I pass. My time is valuable and I will always remain flattered knowing the customer had a choice, but chose me....
I have been dealing with suchI for the past 10 years. Today, I went so out of the way for him, visiting his home, going way over and above. Never been to the house before, I enter his Estate and am confused— The pool house, guest house, and main residence totaled probably 30,000 sq feet.. Rich is not the word..

My point is, that for lack of a better word he was cheap.. not frugal, just cheap. dismissive of my time and the meager commission I make...
To the extremely wealthy, is it a game?
Are they that out of touch of what the average ‘Joe’ has to do to make a living?
Very frustrating...

I provide a product to a customer. The price can be negotiated to a certain threshold . Anything less and I lose money. I pass. My time is valuable and I will always remain flattered knowing the customer had a choice, but chose me....
I have been dealing with suchI for the past 10 years. Today, I went so out of the way for him, visiting his home, going way over and above. Never been to the house before, I enter his Estate and am confused— The pool house, guest house, and main residence totaled probably 30,000 sq feet.. Rich is not the word..

My point is, that for lack of a better word he was cheap.. not frugal, just cheap. dismissive of my time and the meager commission I make...
Are they that out of touch of what the average ‘Joe’ has to do to make a living?
Very frustrating...
So you're saying I'm cheap?

Lol-
So when I was writing this, I thought to ... put a disclaimer in ... indicating you are in a league of your own and any response by you does not count :)
I've seen how that other side lives as well, and how flippant they are about money. I honestly think they're just so out of touch, that basic things don't register. Ask how much a gallon of milk is, they'll have no idea. Looking at the opulence, it looks enticing, but I'm not sure I'd like to live my life like that. Stay safe, my friend.

pokler

Power Bottom

Very frustrating...
He's doesn't see much value in your product or service. He probably can get it cheaper elsewhere

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
In the late 1980s I managed an office for a notorious Real Estate scumbag (always had to get business cards from a different printer because he always screwed whoever was used last). Rather than just signing people's checks he made each manager come to the main office to go through each check before signing them, and often if the money was less than a week overdue would just say "they can wait" and refuse to sign until the next time you came (these were people's commission checks and their only compensation).

One time I'm there to get checks signed and I'm sitting there for 45 minutes while he's arguing with some supplier over $3.75 worth of light bulbs.

In the late 1980s I managed an office for a notorious Real Estate scumbag (always had to get business cards from a different printer because he always screwed whoever was used last). Rather than just signing people's checks he made each manager come to the main office to go through each check before signing them, and often if the money was less than a week overdue would just say "they can wait" and refuse to sign until the next time you came (these were people's commission checks and their only compensation).

One time I'm there to get checks signed and I'm sitting there for 45 minutes while he's arguing with some supplier over $3.75 worth of light bulbs.
How did this guy (assuming a guy) get people to work for him?
Was there more opportunity to make more money as a salesman than working for a competitor?
Did entry level salesmen use him as a training ground to develop skills and then move on to other companies?

Slinky describes someone ( although extremely unlikely imho) who we are all too familiar with... A rich, powerful real estate mogul who is egotistical, selfish, power hungry and has no concern for those around him or what people think of ( or her)....It’s about the conquest or win.... ( I could not imagine working or being associated with the type)

24/7 writes about the opulence and being out of touch ..these types..the super wealthy ones... I cannot agree more...

I would never want to be viewed as ‘ one of those’ .. everyone else is my servant.

( if my response overstepped guidelines in the first paragraph, mea culpa)
The guy Slinky references is the typical oppressor. Takes advantage of the weak for pleasure. After you conquer the money angle the next step is people imho. So thats why you get stiffed last payment, underpaid for work, renegotiate after contract etc. Like an animal hunting for the weak.
I know the type and avoid even before meeting. Not my style to negotiate unless its cultural. Some cultures you are stupid to accept first price. Thats not what im talking about. Im talking about the type of person that knows full well they are offering you next to nothing just to fuck with you. With that attitude of "someone will take it".
Those people hunt people as a game. Its their hobby lol. Get pleasure from destroying people..i have seen it too often. These people dont try with people who have nothing to lose. Always the family man,/woman biz owner, homeowner etc. Not dangerous because so much to lose and wont look for revenge. As you can tell i have had those types in my younger years. Lost alot but the lessons saved me 10x more. Negotiating with a provider is fine done properly.
To tell her you want to pay less because she isnt the girl in the pic is ok. To tell her you pay her less cause shes ugly, fat, etc just wrong. So negotiate but has to be good for everybody...

In the late 1980s I managed an office for a notorious Real Estate scumbag (always had to get business cards from a different printer because he always screwed whoever was used last).
It's a simple and unethical business tactic. The bigger business refuses to pay an invoice. The (usually much) smaller business calculates that it would take so much time and money to do so that it's cheaper to just eat the lost revenue. The bigger business gets something for free, the rich get richer, etc.

So, why do smaller companies go into business with crooks knowing they might get screwed? Saying you did business with a household name is a resume builder. "Hey, we did Richie Rich's business cards, so if we're good enough for him, we're good enough for you."

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist
Personally, I find NO thrill in negotiating... I shop around for reviews, then I call the companies for price quotes on products/services, and whoever gives me the best vibe is generally the winner... I don’t negotiate because to me, it makes no sense. Like you said, someone is on the other side trying to make a living too... it’s not my job to produce their numbers... it’s their job... it also gives you an idea of who will take take advantage of you and who won’t. Being a female, sales people always think they can get over on me... but it’s more fun to let them run their game and walk away with nothing and strategically explain to them “You can’t hustle and hustler. Bless your heart for trying”

S/N - in the spirit of referring to mongering, when people try to negotiate, it’s borderline disrespectful. If the price is not what you want, move on or save up... it’s simple. Negotiating a lower price could very easily end you up with a lower quality service or even worse... I’ve read the stories on here of what happens... smh... live and learn.

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist
I normally dont negotiate with providers because I figure I will get a better session if they get what they ask for. If their asking price is absurd I say thanks but no thanks.

This is different than say buying a car. Because the car dealer can't say, this guy tried to bargain so we'll give him the bad Mazda 6 as opposed to a good one.
Definitely.... I was throwing in the S/N as just that... a side note.

Personally, I find NO thrill in negotiating... I shop around for reviews, then I call the companies for price quotes on products/services, and whoever gives me the best vibe is generally the winner... I don’t negotiate because to me, it makes no sense. Like you said, someone is on the other side trying to make a living too... it’s not my job to produce their numbers... it’s their job... it also gives you an idea of who will take take advantage of you and who won’t. Being a female, sales people always think they can get over on me... but it’s more fun to let them run their game and walk away with nothing and strategically explain to them “You can’t hustle and hustler. Bless your heart for trying”

S/N - in the spirit of referring to mongering, when people try to negotiate, it’s borderline disrespectful. If the price is not what you want, move on or save up... it’s simple. Negotiating a lower price could very easily end you up with a lower quality service or even worse... I’ve read the stories on here of what happens... smh... live and learn.
i never negotiate. what is the point. i like the price and product/service, or i do not. my choice entirely. i work on the premise, that if i am successful in negotiating a lower price, than, the provider of that goods or services will lessen the quality of their service. they have a certain profit margin they want, and they intend to receive that percentage. i might try to make the tax go away, but that is all.

i never negotiate. what is the point. i like the price and product/service, or i do not. my choice entirely. i work on the premise, that if i am successful in negotiating a lower price, than, the provider of that goods or services will lessen the quality of their service. they have a certain profit margin they want, and they intend to receive that percentage. i might try to make the tax go away, but that is all.
Very true...
I never negotiate with a provider but may ask on a rare occasion if she grandfathered old rates...

if I am considering a purchase for a service or product that allows me to get estimates, I’ll compare the one, two or three and then make my decision on presentation and reputation

Very true...
I never negotiate with a provider but may ask on a rare occasion if she grandfathered old rates.....
Let's see — she gives you a price and you ask a lower rate (I assume the grandfathered rate is lower than the current asking price).

Kindly explain again how you never negotiate.

Don't remember which astronaut said "...and I'm sitting on top of low bid."
I hate negotiating a price. Maybe a little wiggle on throwing in an accessory, but otherwise wysiwyg.
As to "types" - I have a friend from Egypt. He has purchased for investment purposes a number of apartments in NYC. He has always paid asking price, no haggling. Is then insistent upon delivery in tip top clean shape and on time. When selling, he can never understand the back and forth some buyers pull. He walks, and if then they come back to the table he isn't interested, because he says he cant trust them and doesn't want to do business with them. So much for the bargaining Arab stereotype.

Let's see — she gives you a price and you ask a lower rate (I assume the grandfathered rate is lower than the current asking price).

Kindly explain again how you never negotiate.
To clarify,
I’ll usually do some recon of someone if I have not seen her in a while. Check to see if she has multiple ads or websites ... In this case, she had a few different ads. When I questioned the disparity in rates, she pointed out that only her website rate was accurate and one of the ads was old.. In the most respectful way I asked if she would consider accommodating a twice seem previous customer at the old rate. She declined but did provide links to a host of friends that were more in my budget—
That was a class move in my opinion and we left off on very good terms..
If that is considered negotiating, so be it, and I retract my previous comment...I questioned the disparity..

( Just FYI, the old rate was 400 and the new was 700)

Don't remember which astronaut said "...and I'm sitting on top of low bid.".
There are two quotes I found that were asked of John Glenn after his mission. They are below. However the one I remember the most (seems like it was only yesterday even though it was 1962) was the original one that he said while he was sitting in the capsule during the countdown — there was an open mike for the communications between mission control and Glenn. The launches were a big deal at the time and when they happened during school hours, I remember all the classroom TV's were turned on and everyone in the classroom, including the teacher were totally silent watching it.

“I guess the question I'm asked the most often is: "When you were sitting in that capsule listening to the count-down, how did you feel?" Well, the answer to that one is easy. I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.”

"As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder"

I hate negotiating a price. Maybe a little wiggle on throwing in an accessory,....
I call that negotiating.
Ps. I don't see why negotiating seems to have negative connotations here as just about everything in life is negotiable. It fact, IMHO, if you are paying asking price for cable TV, Sirius radio, ND, NYT, WSJ, buying a car, etc., you are just throwing away money that can be better spent on mongering.

With providers, I’ve never negotiate anymore. I find that if you just give in to their asking price and not try to shake them down, they’re relieved to get their asking price.And it makes them more pleasant . And for some, more enthusiastic. That makes for a better experience for myself.

On the other hand . If I call a provider and she gives me a number I can’t afford. Let’s say she says 300 for a full hour double release session. I’ll simply say “wow, all I have is 240. I guess it ain’t happening” . If she agrees to that price, I don’t consider it negotiating. It’s simply all I had in my pocket (minus the 10 bucks I saved for a soda and some gas to get home).

Everything else in life is negotiable. I shake people down all the time.

I look at most things the same way...define the price that you value the good/service, and then go find it. Sometimes you find out your price isn’t realistic and you change it. If you’re the consumer then you have to identify the value for yourself, that isn’t the responsibility of the provider. That said, you also may find that the value you’ve assigned only gets you a certain type of good/service, and you have to accept that. If I think the utility of a car should cost $25,000, I have to accept that I won’t be driving a BMW.