The thrill of negotiating....

I look at most things the same way...define the price that you value the good/service, and then go find it. Sometimes you find out your price isn’t realistic and you change it. If you’re the consumer then you have to identify the value for yourself, that isn’t the responsibility of the provider. That said, you also may find that the value you’ve assigned only gets you a certain type of good/service, and you have to accept that. If I think the utility of a car should cost $25,000, I have to accept that I won’t be driving a BMW.
When buying a car do you pay the sticker price? Enough said LOL

When buying a car do you pay the sticker price? Enough said LOL
Absolutely not! Because I don’t value the car at the same price as the dealership. That said, once I set my price, I’ll simply find the dealership willing to sell it to me for that. And with mongering, I know how much I’m willing to pay for certain services. So I have to accept that I can’t have the quality and experience of a Sophia Belle for that price. It wouldn’t make sense to try and get her to de-value herself like that.

Absolutely not! Because I don’t value the car at the same price as the dealership. That said, once I set my price, I’ll simply find the dealership willing to sell it to me for that. And with mongering, I know how much I’m willing to pay for certain services. So I have to accept that I can’t have the quality and experience of a Sophia Belle for that price. It wouldn’t make sense to try and get her to de-value herself like that.
Everything comes at a cost.One will pay what they see as fair value for a service., Sales.
Good at what I do. The customers that allow me to make a fair and reasonable profit, respectful of my time, are not condescending, pompous or selfish when it comes to the transaction receive 110 percent of my efforts, professional advice and all courtesies. The ones that play the game of negotiating, just because it is a game to them, or feel just the opposite of points above, may get my handshake of the sale, but little afterwards...
In the world of companionship I think it is much of the sane in many instances..

So what drives a person to negotiate for a service, or a product ?

I provide a product to a customer. The price can be negotiated to a certain threshold . Anything less and I lose money. I pass. My time is valuable and I will always remain flattered knowing the customer had a choice, but chose me....
I have been dealing with suchI for the past 10 years. Today, I went so out of the way for him, visiting his home, going way over and above. Never been to the house before, I enter his Estate and am confused— The pool house, guest house, and main residence totaled probably 30,000 sq feet.. Rich is not the word..

My point is, that for lack of a better word he was cheap.. not frugal, just cheap. dismissive of my time and the meager commission I make...
To the extremely wealthy, is it a game?
Are they that out of touch of what the average ‘Joe’ has to do to make a living?
Very frustrating...
Yes they do it all the time. Or they let you do the work and when you’re done they do a cram down on you. Because what are you going to do? Take them to court?

With providers, I’ve never negotiate anymore. I find that if you just give in to their asking price and not try to shake them down, they’re relieved to get their asking price.And it makes them more pleasant . And for some, more enthusiastic. That makes for a better experience for myself.

On the other hand . If I call a provider and she gives me a number I can’t afford. Let’s say she says 300 for a full hour double release session. I’ll simply say “wow, all I have is 240. I guess it ain’t happening” . If she agrees to that price, I don’t consider it negotiating. It’s simply all I had in my pocket (minus the 10 bucks I saved for a soda and some gas to get home).

Everything else in life is negotiable. I shake people down all the time.
Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the example you've just given is the essence of good negotiating, IMHO. A good and successful negotiation is one where both parties win. In your example, you won by getting the price you could afford, and the provider won by getting a client, hence an additional $240, that she wouldn't otherwise have gotten. And since it's a service business, there is very little in the way of incremental cost to the provider; she just got extra cash. And she was completely free to say no. I was a professional buyer for a large company and I learned a number of ways to negotiate that don't leave a bad taste in the mouth of the other party. If either party feels it's a "shakedown", it wasn't a good negotiation, regardless of the outcome.

I am more cautious with price on goods and not services. I like to tip, and within reason pay the price someone wants or even a little more to improve your status. Money can't buy happiness, but you can be real comfortable being miserable.

There are two quotes I found that were asked of John Glenn after his mission. They are below. However the one I remember the most (seems like it was only yesterday even though it was 1962) was the original one that he said while he was sitting in the capsule during the countdown — there was an open mike for the communications between mission control and Glenn. The launches were a big deal at the time and when they happened during school hours, I remember all the classroom TV's were turned on and everyone in the classroom, including the teacher were totally silent watching it.

“I guess the question I'm asked the most often is: "When you were sitting in that capsule listening to the count-down, how did you feel?" Well, the answer to that one is easy. I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.”

"As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder"

This is the same reason that I don't lean on the balcony rails. Just saying.