The real reason you're fat

Too many calories and too little exercise are undeniably the major factors contributing to the obesity epidemic, but several recent animal studies suggest that environmental exposure to widely used chemicals may also help make people fat.

The evidence is preliminary, but a number of researchers are pursuing indications that the chemicals, which have been shown to cause abnormal changes in animals' sexual development, can also trigger fat-cell activity -- a process scientists call adipogenesis

The chemicals under scrutiny are used in products from marine paints and pesticides to food and beverage containers. A study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found one chemical, bisphenol A, in 95 percent of the people tested, at levels at or above those that affected development in animals.

[snip]

Source http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/11/AR2007031100918.html

I guess that gallon of Ben & Jerrys I had last night used a container composed of those chemicals. Better living thru chemistry my ass.

Last edited:
Why Americans are FAT = Eat Too Much + Don't Work Out.
Plain & Simple if you don't burn it you wind up like a Fat Pig!
Pretty much correct. My version is:
You gain weight
Calories in > calories expended

you lose weight if
Calories in < calories expended

Your weight is stable if
Calories in = calories expended

Too many fat Americans because people rather not put in the time and effort to cook a decent meal. Instead their lard asses go to mickey d's and sit in front of the telly. That's the worst. Go out, walk a few miles with your SO (if you have one) and go to a gym 4x a week for a half hour each time to weight life or do cardio. Dammit people it isn't that bloody hard.

You guys (except justbill) are missing the point. Yes, calories and excercise are a large part of the reason people are obese. But you can't ignore the fact that a lot of the chemicals and hormones that are pumped into the food we eat have a lot to do with it. Its not just how much you eat, but its also what you eat, and what kind of crap is in it.

billyS

Reign of Terror
. But you can't ignore the fact that a lot of the chemicals and hormones that are pumped into the food we eat have a lot to do with it. Its not just how much you eat, but its also what you eat, and what kind of crap is in it.
That is a lame excuse. So now people are fat not because they stuff their faces but because of the chemicals in the food? Then why isn't everybody fat? It all goes back to not taking care of yourself. Fat people are fat because they are lazy and have no self control. It is not easy, especially once you get older and your metabolism slows down to stay in shape. But if you watch what you eat and make an effort to exercise you won't become a whale.
When I go food shopping I like to look into peoples carts. It always matches there body types. I see a fat woman with a couple of chins and two fat kids tagging along and there cart will always be filled with cookies, cakes, soda and frozen foods. You see a nice slim couple and they will have plenty of fresh produce (the fatties will have none). It is what you eat but it is not some secret hidden chemicals.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Another thing I get a kick out of is diet soda. I can't tell you how many times I see a fatty ordering a double Whopper with extra cheese, super size fries and then a diet coke. Oh yeah, I guess the diet coke evens things out.
The other day I was in Waldbaums, (looking for a pantyless Desi) and I see this fat ass couple loading there cart with ice cream. The woman see's a sugarless brand and tells hubby "I've been eating this one, it has no sugar and less calories" She must weight 200 lbs. I felt like saying to her "It's not working!!!!"

Last edited:
That is a lame excuse. So now people are fat not because they stuff their faces but because of the chemicals in the food? Then why isn't everybody fat? It all goes back to not taking care of yourself. Fat people are fat because they are lazy and have no self control. It is not easy, especially once you get older and your metabolism slows down to stay in shape. But if you watch what you eat and make an effort to exercise you won't become a whale.
When I go food shopping I like to look into peoples carts. It always matches there body types. I see a fat woman with a couple of chins and two fat kids tagging along and there cart will always be filled with cookies, cakes, soda and frozen foods. You see a nice slim couple and they will have plenty of fresh produce (the fatties will have none). It is what you eat but it is not some secret hidden chemicals.
Billy, I already said a lot of it has to do with what you eat and how much so its not an "excuse", but as far as the chemicals are concerned, I hope you don't mind if I take the word of a scientist over a distinguished monger such as yourself. I mean, seriously how the fuck would you have any idea? What scientific evidence do you have that certain chemicals have absolutely nothing to do with obesity?

billyS

Reign of Terror
I hope you don't mind if I take the word of a scientist over a distinguished monger such as yourself. I mean, seriously how the fuck would you have any idea?
Fair enough. But if these chemicals make people fat then why aren't we all fat? Which foods are they in? It just seems to me that people are always looking for an excuse for why they are fat other then they don't eat right.

Last edited:
What exactly do you think is in those items I bolded? I'll give you a hint, it starts with a 'c', ends with an 's', and has 9 letters. Wait, you didn't think that stuff was all natural, did you?

Another thing I get a kick out of is diet soda. I can't tell you how many times I see a fatty ordering a double Whopper with extra cheese, super size fries and then a diet coke. Oh yeah, I guess the diet coke evens things out.
The other day I was in Waldbaums, (looking for a pantyless Desi) and I see this fat ass couple loading there cart with ice cream. The woman see's a sugarless brand and tells hubby "I've been eating this one, it has no sugar and less calories" She must weight 200 lbs. I felt like saying to her "It's not working!!!!"
Talk about making the point your arguing against, or at the very least not making your own point very well. What do you think is in that Whopper? Hormones they used to bulk up the cows with. Why wouldn't you think those same hormones would affect humans the same way. Its just common sense.

IF you wanted to get scientific about it you'd have to measure calorie intake by itself as compared to an equal calorie intake mixed with some of the chemicals the article is referring to (assuming of course calorie expenditure remained constant in both sets). Since I highly doubt you are prepared to do that, I hope you don't mind if I put just a little more weight (pun intended) in what the scientists have to say.

Bon appetit.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I hope you don't mind if I take the word of a scientist over a distinguished monger such as yourself.
BTW, did you read the article justbill_redux linked to?
Here is a key phrase in the second paragraph:
"The evidence is preliminary"

Last edited:
Fair enough. But if these chemicals make people fat then why aren't we all fat? Which foods are they in? It just seems to me that people are always looking for an excuse for why they are fat other then they don't eat right.
I imagine our bodies have different succeptibilities. I don't really have a good answer for you though. As far as the foods they're I'll give you my opinion. Pretty much all fast food is full of that shit. As I just mentioned above, the hormones they give to cows to bulk them up are still in the meat when its butchered.

And I hear you about people making excuses and this information shouldn't be used like that. I look at it as another part of the "eating right" formula. You know, a "knowledge is power" kind of thing

Now all this talk about food has made me hungry. I think I'm going to grab a whopper. If anything, I need to gain a couple of pounds.

In the recent years I have seen that all these studies eventually conflict with each-other. I simply stopped reading them. Or save them and wait for the "counter-study" just to have a laugh.

BTW, did you read the article justbill_redux linked to?
Here is a key phrase in the second paragraph:
"The evidence is preliminary"
Yeah, I did notice that so I understand its not set in scientific stone. But I've thought there was a connection between chemicals (especially hormones) in our food and plenty of health issues for years now. Have you ever noticed that girls are sexually mature at an earlier age than they were when we were kids? (reading your posts in the "childhood memories" thread I'm pretty sure we're from the same generation). Well, considering companies like Purdue put give hormones to their chicken to make them mature faster I really don't think its any surprise.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Dave, if you are now trying to argue that cookies, cakes, Whoppers have chemicals that make you fat then you are nullifying the jist of the article. We already knew the stuff I mentioned makes people fat. I mean if someone needs a fucking scientist to tell them that filling your shopping cart with cookies, cakes and frozen foods will make you fat, then what fucking planet have they been living on?
The article was saying that endocrine disrupters promote obesity. It wasn't pointing to specific foods. It was actually pretty vague.

Jerry Heindel, a top official of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), who chaired the AAAS session, said the suspected link between obesity and exposure to "endocrine disrupters," as the chemicals are called because of their hormone-like effects, is "plausible and possible."

In the recent years I have seen that all these studies eventually conflict with each-other. I simply stopped reading them. Or save them and wait for the "counter-study" just to have a laugh.
I'm sure if the beef council forks over enough dough, some scientist will say those chemicals are actually good for you. I tend to trust studies like this to some extent for a few reasons:

1) Some of it is just common sense.

2) A study like this has no money-driven agenda. A study refuting it would, and there are plenty of corporations who'd pay big to do that so they can keep polluting Americans and getting rich.

3) Well, there is no three really, just seems kind of silly to put the 1) and 2) up there without a 3).

billyS

Reign of Terror
. Have you ever noticed that girls are sexually mature at an earlier age than they were when we were kids? (reading your posts in the "childhood memories" thread I'm pretty sure we're from the same generation).
I thought that was because of MTV

Dave, if you are now trying to argue that cookies, cakes, Whoppers have chemicals that make you fat then you are nullifying the jist of the article. We already knew the stuff I mentioned makes people fat. I mean if someone needs a fucking scientist to tell them that filling your shopping cart with cookies, cakes and frozen foods will make you fat, then what fucking planet have they been living on?
The article was saying that endocrine disrupters promote obesity. It wasn't pointing to specific foods. It was actually pretty vague.

Jerry Heindel, a top official of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), who chaired the AAAS session, said the suspected link between obesity and exposure to "endocrine disrupters," as the chemicals are called because of their hormone-like effects, is "plausible and possible."

What I'm arguing Billy is that it is something in those foods beyond the calories they contain. I mean, yeah if you eat a shitload cakes, cookies, ice cream, whatever, that don't contain those chemicals and most people will still gain weight because of the calories they contain. But if you ate less than that amount of the same types of foods containing those "obesogens" you'd still gain a lot of weight to. Thats the just of it anyway.

And yeah, I wish the article had provided a list of foods but I think I have a pretty good idea how to eat healthy so I don't sweat the specifics too much.

It is also in the milk they produce. Scary.
Exactly. Its almost the same as when farmers started using massive amounts of pesticides in the 50's and then years later everyone is surprised that cancer rates are through the roof. Its like people were surprised that there'd be any consequences to spraying all kinds of poison on our foods.