The Perfect Cover SIngle

just me . . . yr in austin?

i got a girl for you to meet. good girl. built like a, a smallish brick shithouse (she was a dancer). smith girl, helps the poor, catholic, 27 years old. she's moving back to austin to help unwed mothers. great rack. may i repeat that a little louder?: GREAT RACK. she'll be down b/f christmas, i think. just say you know me from school or the internet or whatever. this could be the start of something BIG . . . shit how does jl do that font thing?

cupid, draw back your bow,
hvb

SPEAKS SPANISH FROM TRAVELS IN GUATAMALA and CHIAPAS. cooks real good.

i'm telling ya,
boldly go where only a few men have gone b/f,
hvb

Last edited:
Originally posted by justme
Los Lobos covering Birtha and transitioning into Not Fade Away and then back into Bertha at the Austin City Limits Music festival.
Saw them open for the Dead at Giants Staduim long ago, forgot what year. Great band doing some great covers and great original stuff. Then jamming with the Dead during their set, great times.

no no no NO!

a real girl. and isn't houston near austin? i mean it's all in one state right? i've got a feeling. just grab a horse and go boy.

how do you solve a problem like maria?
hvb

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
RM - I'm sure Los Lobos can find real mole

HvB - Choose your own response.

1. Why would you introduce someone you like to a prolific whoreboard poster.

2. Sounds great, let me clear it with my girlfriend.

3. Some of my favorite crazy ex's were from Austin.

just me:

pick your answer:

1. hombre was a prolific whoreboard poster. (or take them as you find 'em.)

2. how's that working out for you?

3. this girl is crazy and has great ex potential.

it's been my experience that a cross section of whoreboard POSTERS mirrors the population at large quite nicely. (or i'm one of kind here and there as well.)

knows nice guy when she encounters one,
hvb

Last edited:
jl

I don't know. It's haunting. It's true I've been on a bit of an EC kick of late. But his version of this song completely changed its meaning to me, which is why I listed it.

First of all, it's the way he sings it. To me, the original Rodgers Hart number and most of its early interpretations are pretty straightforward, soulful renditions. Elvis gives it an edge I had never previously considered. There's something about the way he screams "stay little valentine, stay" that completely flips the song on its lid for me. He can't bear to be without her, and he seems a bit peeved about it. Strikes me that at the end of that song, he's spent.

It genuinely stays with me for days at a time, and the other versions never did that. I sing it to my kid when he wakes up in the middle of the night, and I'm struck by the vocal range required to pull it off in the key Costello does it in. (Of course, this could be my own weakness of voice...)

Anyway, no other version of the song achieves that breakthrough for me. I never felt Sinatra endowed the song with the same passion. I mean, he's a great performer, but he's sort of a reader when it comes to interpreting a song. Either it's right for him or its not. (I can't dance... When I was 17...) And while this song is right for him, it doesn't leap out to me the same as it does from EC. Ella, well, she's incredible. But again, she never gave it that edge to me.

Second, I think Costello captures the writers' vision in a way they never would have expected. Those others essentially capture the simple message of the song: outward imperfection is no barrier to beauty and love. Costello seems to recognize that this also has the effect of pissing us all off.

I probably do think you're full of shit. But it's senseless to argue with such a well-considered and expressed opinion. It would just come down to an extremely lengthy version of "My preferences are better than yours. NYAA NYAA NYAA." I'd rather save that for the discussions of overweight prostitutes.

Last edited:
darling astroboy:

1. that assumption precludes ug-ers from potentially engaging nontransactional relationships (u can always come clean u know).
2. i'm glad, but why are u here so often and do u intend to stay?
3. heh.

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
1. Hey, I'm willing to lie about the stuff I've done, but I'm not willing to lie to a friend about a relative stranger.

(And don't think it doesn't kill me that even if I stopped doing this three months ago, I wouldn't have to lie about it for the rest of my life)

a. The conversation is better than that on audiogon
b. Old habits die hard
c. Even if I am not currently particpating, I find the topic interesting
d. I think the topic is linked to some other issues I have
e. I am cynical enough about my life to 'know' that I might need this info again some day.

(Not for nothing, my often declared whoreboard hero is John Francis)

who is john francis?

1. i really don't think u will have to lie about it for the rest of yr life, it's not like voting republican or anything.

2. yes yes yes yes too bad. i am the opposite of cynical. what would that be: acynical anticynical contracynical?

3 months is 90 days (in program),
hvb

justme

homo economicus
John Francis - got serious with a woman, quit hobbying, got married, hung around for awhile, now is only remembered... in the mean time posted a ton of great posts.

he's NOT the don quixote

guy right?

i'll just do a search. i'm lazy. the woman was NOT a provider, right? but coulda been.

love is all around no need to waste it,
hvb

Last edited: