The most memorable swing in baseball?

You guys are so wrong.....THE most memorable swing in baseball was......get ready.......you ready?

When Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich announced that they had traded their hot baseball wives.

Last edited:
Oh, you were asking about MLB? I used to love watching Dave Kingman, because when he hit a HR it was a no question, out of the park monster. If not a HR, it was probably a strike out.

As much as I loved Mookie's hit, I can't give it to a dribbler (although it is the result that counts), so I would have to go with Robin Ventura's walk off "Grand Slam Single" in game 5 of the NLCS against the Braves (1999 - Mets lost the series, but a dramatic win against the Braves is something a Mets fan has to savor).

Mets and Yankees fans really can't see beyond their own fences....

Not a single bit of love for any of the All Time World Series walk off homeruns...

1960 World Series Pirates vs Yankees - Game Seven.... Bill Mazeraski*

1975 World Series Red Sox vs Reds - Game Six.... Carlton Fisk.

1991 World Series Twins vs Braves - Game Six.... Kirby Puckett.

1993 World Series Blue Jays vs Phillies - Game Six.... Joe Carter*

* World Series winning walk offs.

And my vote...

1988 World Series Dodgers vs A's - Game One.... Kirk Gibson

Mets and Yankees fans really can't see beyond their own fences....

Not a single bit of love for any of the All Time World Series walk off homeruns...

1960 World Series Pirates vs Yankees - Game Seven.... Bill Mazeraski*

1975 World Series Red Sox vs Reds - Game Six.... Carlton Fisk.

1991 World Series Twins vs Braves - Game Six.... Kirby Puckett.

1993 World Series Blue Jays vs Phillies - Game Six.... Joe Carter*

* World Series winning walk offs.

And my vote...

1988 World Series Dodgers vs A's - Game One.... Kirk Gibson
Hi Sexy:)
Yes we can see beyond our own fences Ozzy- I do have a small handicap-my dd's:)
But I will bite.
Let's see-In my opinion 7 pure walk-off home runs. Kevin Romanine, Jim Gosner, Chris Chambliss, and David Ortiz in regular season games. Aaron Boone and Ortiz in the ALCS, and as you mentioned already-Carlton Fisk in the World Series. If anyone is a true baseball fan, then you could probably remember the games you witnessed, that ended up as walk-offs & Let me know the ones you were at.

Since some of these games were before my time or I was to young to witness them and even though I have grown up with two generatons of Yankee and baseball extremists-I have read “New York City Baseball,1947-1957″ and “Red Sox Vs Yankee: The Great Rivalry.” Frommer’s REMEMBERING YANKEE STADIUM (GREAT reading for Yankee fans--I am into the electronic books these days. Great to listen too- while at the gym or on a run.)

Last edited:
Is it true that SuperrWoman can really Hang-Out ?

Superwoman's response-YES

Most of my wardrobe is older than you !
Superwoman's response-YES

Although I can't remember what I had for lunch unless I check the stains on my pants, I well remember that special broadcast. In these days of instant global communications, it seems quaint to realize that American heros stationed in Ramstein, Okinawa, and especially Inchon listened to the game through the miracle of Armed Forces Radio.
Superwoman's response-Ding! Ding! Ding! We have our First Prize Winner-Give this man his prize!

Last edited:
Mets and Yankees fans really can't see beyond their own fences.../QUOTE]

I'm not one of those crazy baseball fans that remembers facts, statistics, or even event details (I had to look up the series & date of the Ventura HR I mentioned). Too many games in baseball to watch them all, and as with all sports I get jaded periodically and just stop watching (like after any player/owner strike situation, because they make so fucking much money I don't even want to watch, let alone support by buying tickets or supporting sponsors).

That said, 2 of your examples predate me (or my interest in MLB), and some others I don't even recognize because if a team I follow isn't in the WS, or there isn't some special hype, I may not have even seen it.

Mets and Yankees fans really can't see beyond their own fences.../QUOTE]

I'm not one of those crazy baseball fans that remembers facts, statistics, or even event details (I had to look up the series & date of the Ventura HR I mentioned). Too many games in baseball to watch them all, and as with all sports I get jaded periodically and just stop watching (like after any player/owner strike situation, because they make so fucking much money I don't even want to watch, let alone support by buying tickets or supporting sponsors).

That said, 2 of your examples predate me (or my interest in MLB), and some others I don't even recognize because if a team I follow isn't in the WS, or there isn't some special hype, I may not have even seen it.
Hawkeyes-I understand completely-I had to ask a family member who eats this stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He is my walking encyclopedia of Yankee and most baseball facts. He is a very interesting guy! I apologize if my info was predated-he is in his late 70's:) LOL!
I am a blonde and cannot remember all of the stats and I have not seen all the games! But a lot of the famous players are in history and I do like to read my history. Plus not to mention after hearing all the baseball stories year after year from my family and friends-well your forced to learn to talk the smack back! I am sure others may have grown up in the same type of family! Ha!
Hawkeyes-have a wonderful day! XO

Thanks.

As a lifelong Mets-Jets fan, I try to remember only very select highlights from the past! Otherwise it is too painful and requires too much alcohol to drown out the bad memories and let downs.

Hi Sexy:)
Yes we can see beyond our own fences Ozzy- I do have a small handicap-my dd's:)
But I will bite.
Let's see-In my opinion 7 pure walk-off home runs. Kevin Romanine, Jim Gosner, Chris Chambliss, and David Ortiz in regular season games. Aaron Boone and Ortiz in the ALCS, and as you mentioned already-Carlton Fisk in the World Series. If anyone is a true baseball fan, then you could probably remember the games you witnessed, that ended up as walk-offs & Let me know the ones you were at.

Chris Chambliss' walk off HR came in the 9th inning of a 6-6 tie during game 5 of the 1976 ALCS and sent the Yankees to the WS where the Reds swept them... Mark Littel was the pitcher and George Brett hit a 3 run HR in the 8th to tie the game and set up Chambliss' heroics... I remember it so well cause was there.

There have only been 14 World Series walk offs. I listed the top five all time. Dusty Rhodes, Tommy Henrich and Mickey Mantle hit one each for the Yankees all before our time. I think Jeter hit one in the 2001 series and he has a footnote in history as being the first player to step to the plate in the month of November (Nov 1st.... 1 minute after midnight). It happened as a result of 9/11 delaying the season and series that year.

With the exception of Thompsons in '51 and Aarons #715... Gibson's is the most memorable HR in most sports polls and finished #1 all time for a World Series in an ESPN poll.

There have only been 14 World Series walk offs. I listed the top five all time. Dusty Rhodes, Tommy Henrich and Mickey Mantle hit one each for the Yankees all before our time.
Hang on a sec there young feller !
Let me tell you a bit about Dusty Rhodes' game winning homer. (we didn't use the term walk-off in my day)
Having watched that game on the telly, I'll begin by saying it wasn't them Yankees. It was the Injuns vs. our Giants here at the Polo Grounds.
While Rhodes' did win the game and continued on to be the hitting star of the four game sweep, that was far from what was most memorable of the game.
For decades thereafter baseball fans have been talking of the sensational manner in which relief pitcher Don Little retired the only batter he faced that day.

Last edited:
Hang on a sec there young feller !
Let me tell you a bit about Dusty Rhodes' game winning homer. (we didn't use the term walk-off in my day)
Having watched that game on the telly, I'll begin by saying it wasn't them Yankees. It was the Injuns vs. our Giants here at the Polo Grounds.
While Rhodes' did win the game and continued on to be the hitting star of the four game sweep, that was far from what was most memorable of the game.
For decades thereafter baseball fans have been talking of the sensational manner in which relief pitcher Don Little retired the only batter he faced that day.
Thanks Mr. Sammy. I was just barely old enough to remember the '54 Series!

Go NY Baseball Giants,

Chels

Not for nothin', but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pete Rose surpassing Ty Cobb's all time hit record of 4191 hits in 1985. I know he was banned from baseball for alleged gambling, but this should not be discounted as one of Americas Greatest Baseball moments.

Last edited:
It's apparently about home runs. But I bet no one here even remembers Pete's record breaking swing, who he hit it off or the opposing team. I think it was a double and I'm gonna guess it was against the Padres, but that's where I draw a blank.

For non-HRs, it has to be Mookie Wilson's grounder past Bill Buckner, because right before he hit it, I told my cousin as we watched the game in a bar, "If the Mets win this game, I will eat this glass."

Ozzy said:
... But I bet no one here even remembers Pete's record breaking swing, who he hit it off or the opposing team. I think it was a double and I'm gonna guess it was against the Padres, but that's where I draw a blank.
It was against the Padres, in Cincinnati, on Sept 11 (9/11), 1985, but it was a first inning single off a pitcher named Eric Show.

The first inning was scoreless, but Cincy eventually won the game 2-0.

Last edited:
It was against the Padres, in Cincinnati, on Sept 11 (9/11), 1985, but it was a first inning single off a pitcher named Eric Show.

The first inning was scoreless, but Cincy eventually won the game 2-0.
Show ended up sitting on the mound while both Reds and Padres congratulated Rose. Apparently Show was known to be a major asshole.