The most memorable swing in baseball?

I guess mine would be-Aaron Boone's memorable Oct. 16, 2003 shot into the night off Boston's Tim Wakefield won the American League Championship Series for the Yankees, clinching the club's 39th pennant.

Mine?...I remember it like it was yesterday..."Little roller up along first....Behind the bag! It gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight, and the METS win it!!" - Mookie Wilson, game 6, 1986.

Last edited:
I do like Make Us Sq"s thought about Mookie - Mets Win!

Understandable about Superwoman's Choice - she is a rabid Yanks Fan! And she is a very pretty Yanks Fan!

CC Sabathia & Ollie Perez are vying for worst "EXPENSIVE" free agent this year. CC can't win in Yankee Stadium (he was awful today) and Ollie is absolutely horrible. That man needs a one way ticket to Buffalo and the Mets Farm System. Somehow, Ollies fast ball is down to 88mph and hitters are sitting on. Then there is his amazing lack of control. What did he do in Spring Training besides going to the World Baseball Classic for Puerto Rico.

Boo Ollie and a bigger boo to Scott Boras who presened phony stats to Met management (who shouldn't have needed them) and got Ollie a contract that has to be the envy of anyone in baseball. Boras makes me sick - what an obnoxious A-Hole. Speaking of A -Holes
- the Yanks desperately need A-Rod back in the lineup.

Go Mets, Chels

THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!
THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!
Bobby Thomson hits into the lower deck of the left-field stands!
The Giants win the pennant and they're going crazy, they're going crazy!
Ohhhhh-oh!!!''

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!
Bobby Thomson hits into the lower deck of the left-field stands!
The Giants win the pennant and they're going crazy, they're going crazy!
Ohhhhh-oh!!!''
Hands down the most famous ending to any American sports match...

The most memorable for me was Aaron #715.

The most famous swing was Bobby Thompson, hands down.

The swing I would have most like to see was Babe Ruth calling his shot at Wrigley.

This thread kind of confused me because when I saw the title I thought memorable as far as sweetness of the swing as opposed to specific dramatic swings. So I will do both categories.

I. MEMORABLE DRAMATIC SWINGS

I was not alive when Thompson hit his but in my lifetime the dramatic swings were:

-Aaron #715
- Chambliss HR to win 1976 ALCS
- Reggie's 4th consecutive HR on 4 consecutive swings in last 2 games of 1977 World Series
- George Brett Pine Tar Home Run, 1983
- Joe Carter HR to win 1993 World Series
- Darryl Strawberry HR to beat Red Sox in 1996
- Darryl Strawberry longest HR ever in Camden Yards (also 1996, I think)
- Jeter HR to win game 5 of 2001 World Series
- Aaron Boone HR to win 2003 ALCS

II. MEMORABLE SWEET SWINGS

George Brett, Don Mattingly, Ken Griffey Jr., Robinson Cano

Last edited:
Totally agree with "The shot heard round the world" - I was too young to remember it but I am old enough to remember the Giants taking Cleveland in four in 1954. Made me a NL fan for life!

Go Mets (and with apologies to Super Woman - I iwll find a way to make it up to you).

Chels, Mets Fan

three votes for Aaron #715-YES!

MS- the Mookie Wilson game...hmmm well I was 11 years old...I am a little history buff.
I know that he was a switch hitter and he ended up having surgery on one of his arms during his career.... I do not remember if the surgery ended his career?

eros701-Ron Bloomberg-Sorry but...way before I was even born:) Was that around the Sandy Koufax days?

Mr.Sammy-Bobby Thomson-I have heard of him and I am very familiar with the famous game-the Staten Island Scot. Do you know why they called it the shot 'heard around the world?

Nychelsea-No apologies needed and YES you need to find a way to make it up to me! Wink...wink!

The Catch-hmmm...lets see that famous “catch” may have happened during the 1954 World Series! (Again I was not even consummated yet!)

How about the most well -known/ famous baseball players ever and to date?
Here is my partial list!
Mickey Mantle-"the fastest man" my father's favorite baseball player!
Babe Ruth
Yogi Berra
Joe DiMaggio
Dave Winfield
Reggie Jackson
Hank Aaron “Hammerin’ Hank”

Last edited:
This thread kind of confused me because when I saw the title I thought memorable as far as sweetness of the swing as opposed to specific dramatic swings. So I will do both categories.

I. MEMORABLE DRAMATIC SWINGS

I was not alive when Thompson hit his but in my lifetime the dramatic swings were:

-Aaron #715
- Chambliss HR to win 1976 ALCS
- Reggie's 4th consecutive HR on 4 consecutive swings in last 2 games of 1977 World Series
- George Brett Pine Tar Home Run, 1983
- Joe Carter HR to win 1993 World Series
- Darryl Strawberry HR to beat Red Sox in 1996
- Darryl Strawberry longest HR ever in Camden Yards (also 1996, I think)
- Jeter HR to win game 5 of 2001 World Series
- Aaron Boone HR to win 2003 ALCS

II. MEMORABLE SWEET SWINGS

George Brett, Don Mattingly, Ken Griffey Jr., Robinson Cano
Hi Doctorbeaver-I apologize, I should have labeled it the sweetest swing opposed to memorable. Ha!

Darryl Strawberry HR to beat Red Sox in 1996-In my opinion, definetly a "sweetest" swing moment.
Jeter HR to win game 5 of 2001 World Series-Memorable-boy, wasn't it a great one?

Ah my sweet Superwoman: Methinks you need to expand your baseball horizons beyond the Bronx. How about a trip to Citi Field to see the National League for a change!

Chels

Hanging out with Superwoman.....now thats a catch all right!!!!
Is it true that SuperrWoman can really Hang-Out ?

MS- the Mookie Wilson game...hmmm well I was 11 years old...I am a little ...... buff.
Most of my wardrobe is older than you !

Mr.Sammy-Bobby Thomson-I have heard of him and I am very familiar with the famous game-the Staten Island Scot. Do you know why they called it the shot 'heard around the world?
Although I can't remember what I had for lunch unless I check the stains on my pants, I well remember that special broadcast. In these days of instant global communications, it seems quaint to realize that American heros stationed in Ramstein, Okinawa, and especially Inchon listened to the game through the miracle of Armed Forces Radio.

How about the most well -known/ famous baseball players ever and to date?
Here is my partial list!
Mickey Mantle-"the fastest man" my father's favorite baseball player!
Babe Ruth
Yogi Berra
Joe DiMaggio
Dave Winfield
Reggie Jackson
Hank Aaron “Hammerin’ Hank”
In my opinion there is no question that #1 must be the Babe.
His feats on the field were discussed from coast to coast.
Off the field, he was renown for his night-clubbing with perhaps a dozen aspiring Broadway actresses in his company.
During the off-season he went to Hollywood to make movies and satisfy uncountable starlets.
It boggles the imagination to conceive what he might have accomplished had he not wasted so much time playing baseball !

Personally I like when the the dad isn't paying attention and the mom videotapes the 4 yr old kid whacking his dad in the balls with a major league swing. Shouldn't have kids if you're not going to pay attention!