Smokers and smoking meats

Nice. Great thread to start ... I have gone from a redneck homemade drum smoker to a pellet smoker. . buddy of mine has an egg and he uses his pellet smoker more than the egg now

Old school UGer here. Sadly, I can't contribute to most of the threads here due to retirement from the hobby, but I can definitely add to this one. I LOVE my pellet grill (Camp Chef). The quality/effort ratio is off the charts and its features (especially for cleaning) blow away Traeger, which is more of the household name.

I have owned my Grilla Silverback for a few years now. I get my pellets from Jetmore in Wantagh on Merrick road. I have two pork butts I am putting on the smoker tonight. I will let you guys know how they come out. That's my favorite thing to smoke. I do babyback ribs and I have tried Brisket but that was when I was still inexperienced. I think I should try brisket again.

Less then novice when it comes to cooking on a smoker , but a big fan of traditional BBQ on a gas Weber

For you smokers- Transplanters from the traditional grill, or do you use both?

Can a smoker cook a traditional steak, chop or burger? What about cooking times?

Tia

Less then novice when it comes to cooking on a smoker , but a big fan of traditional BBQ on a gas Weber

Can a smoker cook a traditional steak, chop or burger? What about cooking times?

Tia
You can do almost anything in a smoker.
Cooking times will always be longer in a smoker, so a steak, chop, or burger will take longer. But you can pre-smoke any and get that smoke flavor and finish on a traditional grill or in oven.

I have not done burgers and steak on a smoker - I prefer to do those on my regular grill. I tried to do a meatloaf on the smoker wrapped in bacon but screwed it up. With the meatloaf - I think you have to crank the temp up at first to reverse sear the bacon to get it crispy - then back down the temp. That's another I have to try again. The problem is my kids don't eat a lot of this stuff so I have to eat it all myself. My wife will eat a little of it. That isn't exactly the most healthy way to eat.

Turkey breast is great on the smoker too. Just make sure you brine them

I have some great brine and rub recipes i have developed... Will post them next week from the computer. Phone posts are to tedious
I brine my poultry before smoking too. It comes out very juicy.
I also wrap to finish.

Tia
my pit boss has a sliding plate if I want to cook over direct heat

I have owned my Grilla Silverback for a few years now. I get my pellets from Jetmore in Wantagh on Merrick road. I have two pork butts I am putting on the smoker tonight. I will let you guys know how they come out. That's my favorite thing to smoke. I do babyback ribs and I have tried Brisket but that was when I was still inexperienced. I think I should try brisket again.
I tried to do a brisket flat. It’s very easy to dry out even with wrapping.
the brisket point is a thicker piece of meat and easier to cook if your feeding the neighborhood:)

the brisket point is a thicker piece of meat and easier to cook if your feeding the neighborhood:)
It certainly will feed a crowd, drop the temp to 225 and do not open the doors until you reach 1/2 the cook time. Also I put the fatty side down however some do the opposite so the fat melts into the meat to keep it super moist.

My pork butts cooked WAY faster than usual last night. I put them on at like 10:45 PM. Temp was set at 225. Temp was holding pretty good till I went to bed at like 12. woke up at 6 .. took the butts off the grill, put in foil pans, covered in butter, honey and brown sugar. then covered in tin foil. but back on. This wrapping helps them get through the stall. Otherwise you are looking at 15-18 hours to get up to 205 internal temp. Usually they are done at the 12 hour mark. In stead of going into my home office to get some work done I figured -let me check the internal temp just to be safe. This was at like 8:00. I figured about 2-3 more hours. NOPE - they were at 204 and 207. Done in like 10 hours. so I pulled them, wrapped in butcher paper and put them in a cooler. I will let them rest for like 4 hours then have some for lunch. Funny - I think the pork butt tastes better when reheated! I will cut both in half, freeze 3 of the halves and serve one half to the family. I keep all the juice in the pans and put them in a tupperware in the fridge for gravy. I will report back and let you know how it tastes!

Yeah- that's what I cooked - a flat. a whole brisket is a lot of food - but then again I just cooked 14-15 pounds of pork butt! Maybe I will try doing a whole Brisket.

My pork butts cooked WAY faster than usual last night. I put them on at like 10:45 PM. Temp was set at 225. Temp was holding pretty good till I went to bed at like 12. woke up at 6 .. took the butts off the grill, put in foil pans, covered in butter, honey and brown sugar. then covered in tin foil. but back on. This wrapping helps them get through the stall. Otherwise you are looking at 15-18 hours to get up to 205 internal temp. Usually they are done at the 12 hour mark. In stead of going into my home office to get some work done I figured -let me check the internal temp just to be safe. This was at like 8:00. I figured about 2-3 more hours. NOPE - they were at 204 and 207. Done in like 10 hours. so I pulled them, wrapped in butcher paper and put them in a cooler. I will let them rest for like 4 hours then have some for lunch. Funny - I think the pork butt tastes better when reheated! I will cut both in half, freeze 3 of the halves and serve one half to the family. I keep all the juice in the pans and put them in a tupperware in the fridge for gravy. I will report back and let you know how it tastes!
I cook 10 -13 lb butts at around 250 in about 6 hours. Trimmed Fat on top. I (quickly) spay with Apple juice every 45 minutes or so 2 hours into cook.
I’ll shred it in its juice. Also freeze what I’m not going to use.
I’ll make a East Carolina vinegar pepper dipping sauce That I found on Google.
Or sometimes I’ll mix it with a good barbecue sauce

Once I wrap the butts - I do have them in foil trays. The melted butter, injection, rub results in a great juice/gravy that I collect and save to put in with the pork when I reheat it. I may try going a little higher in temp. I am not crazy about letting them cook overnight.

I had some for lunch and it was great as usual. I have reached a decent consistency in my cooking. At least with the butts. I like them because they are easy and I love the taste.