Sex for Rent

i have been fortunate, mostly. my biggest surprise was a tenant, a detective in nyc. he told me he wasn't going to pay, take it from his security. i told him that his salary has not been impacted and he must pay. no choices. than he went on a tirade. said his family needs the money for their security. eventually he paid me - in $10.00 bills. talk about passive aggressive. the only other impacted tenant is ignoring me altogether. a tenant of 10 years. told me to take her to court, when they open. she knows that as long as she brings her rent current, by court time, she can not be evicted. might take me 18 months to get paid
Turn her hot water pressure down.

Turn her hot water pressure down.
Just curious and would like to hear from the legal minds here:
Although you cannot just break into her apt and put her stuff out on the curb (that would be criminal trespassing) I wonder if you could do something such as deprive her of essential services, e.g., water. In normal times this would be constructive eviction and she would be able to immediately go to court — but what could she do now?

Just curious and would like to hear from the legal minds here:
Although you cannot just break into her apt and put her stuff out on the curb (that would be criminal trespassing) I wonder if you could do something such as deprive her of essential services, e.g., water. In normal times this would be constructive eviction and she would be able to immediately go to court — but what could she do now?
I’m am not a lawyer and will yield to one that might comment here but my experience as a renter has garnered much wisdom.
As a renter you have exclusive rights to the property you are renting. Landlords legally must ask permission to enter the rental and even if you are in arrears they can not deprive you of essential services such as water or electric. Unfortunately for landlords the eviction process is slow and long and very frustrating. Side note - Michael Keaton stars in a great movie - Pacific Heights which exemplifies the worst case scenario for a landlord.
that’s my two cents. As I said I’m always willing to stand corrected (or sit) so hopefully a real lawyer will come in here soon.
Happy Hunting
Nutty out

..... Landlords legally must ask permission to enter the rental
I think there are some special exceptions to that such in the cases of an emergency (busted pipes, smoke, someone screaming help etc) or legal requirement such as a search warrant and you don't want the cops to bust down your renters door. As I pointed out otherwise w/o permission the landlord is committing trespass.
..... and even if you are in arrears they can not deprive you of essential services such as water or electric.
Nutty out
Yup, and they can go to court I guess to force the landlord to remedy the situation — are the courts open for stuff like that now? (the whole point of my question is post 22).
Seems to me in current conditions a landlord can make a renter's life miserable if the renter plays games with the rent (I'm not talking about a family that is out of work - I'm talking about someone like detective in nyc who can pay his rent.

Legal types — ???

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
I believe in most jurisdictions courts are open for emergency applications. It would be up to an individual judge to determine what an "emergency" is, but in most places judges do not look kindly upon "self help" by landlords. So if you cut off essential services during a pandemic, even if the tenant wasn't paying rent unless they surrendered the property to you, when courts reopen and you go to evicts them if they even just show up to contest it and bring your actions to the Court's attention you could probably expect to get hammered.

I believe in most jurisdictions courts are open for emergency applications. It would be up to an individual judge to determine what an "emergency" is, but in most places judges do not look kindly upon "self help" by landlords. So if you cut off essential services during a pandemic, even if the tenant wasn't paying rent unless they surrendered the property to you, when courts reopen and you go to evicts them if they even just show up to contest it and bring your actions to the Court's attention you could probably expect to get hammered.
Even if the tenant withholding rent was a NYC detective who was still getting paid a salary (and perhaps a lot of OT) who obviously withheld rent just because he felt he could get away with it?

What about if there where other tenants besides the NYC detective who where gainfully employed but also withheld rent just because they could?

Also would the landlord have a defense if he went into bankruptcy and couldn't pay utilities such as water, gas, garbage, etc. ( I know of a guy who has a couple of mutli's that are all mortgaged to the hilt and he acts as landlord, super, etc, and has simply run out of cash and credit — he lives in one of the apts so good news is that at least he will have a place to live w/o fear of being evicted until the pandemic is over)

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
It's still "self help." Unless a judge signs an Order of Eviction you can't do shit. Evictions vary tremendously from state to state, and even county to county, but in most of New York State the "Lawyers Full Employment Act" says you can't do anything without going to court.

It's still "self help." Unless a judge signs an Order of Eviction you can't do shit. Evictions vary tremendously from state to state, and even county to county, but in most of New York State the "Lawyers Full Employment Act" says you can't do anything without going to court.
i am not a lawyer, just a small -time landlord. all of the comments are most accurate. the most difficult jurisdiction is queens county. they start with the premise that every landlord has big bucks and a real estate empire the size of the trump organization. queens county (QC) does not care about landlord obligations, ie mortgage, electricity, water, repairs...start with the understanding that the landlord is the scum of the earth. here is one example of the courts bending over so far they licked their own ass. a tenant refused to pay her rent. no excuse, just refused to pay. i am never quick to institute legal action, but this time i did. the beginning of non-payment, month 2, i commenced with the legal work. it took more than 2 months to get a court date. then it was postponed numerous times. i finally got into court after 5 months. the tenant was a 35 year korean woman, who emmigrated here when she was 2. needless to say her command of the english language was excellent. on 3 separate court dates the judge postponed the hearing in order to engage a korean translator. WTF. finally, after 13 months the judgement went against. it took another 3 months to get her out. 16 months. fast and swift.

i am not a lawyer, just a small -time landlord. all of the comments are most accurate. the most difficult jurisdiction is queens county. they start with the premise that every landlord has big bucks and a real estate empire the size of the trump organization. queens county (QC) does not care about landlord obligations, ie mortgage, electricity, water, repairs...start with the understanding that the landlord is the scum of the earth. here is one example of the courts bending over so far they licked their own ass. a tenant refused to pay her rent. no excuse, just refused to pay. i am never quick to institute legal action, but this time i did. the beginning of non-payment, month 2, i commenced with the legal work. it took more than 2 months to get a court date. then it was postponed numerous times. i finally got into court after 5 months. the tenant was a 35 year korean woman, who emmigrated here when she was 2. needless to say her command of the english language was excellent. on 3 separate court dates the judge postponed the hearing in order to engage a korean translator. WTF. finally, after 13 months the judgement went against. it took another 3 months to get her out. 16 months. fast and swift.
The whole system is broken. Period. The shortsightedness of those who always see the landlord as the evil one is sad. Now, in order you you to recoup some of your costs and lost rents, it’s always possible tgat you have to raise rents in other tenants...
I know a guy who is renting a house on the water in Nassau- The landlord chose to not pay the mortgage, bank foreclosed, on and my guy is living rent free for at least 9 months already- He laughs. I SMH.. there is always a victim

Anybody catch the news 4 report about a lady who came home (to her rental unit attached to a house) to find her front door missing and the AC units taken out? She’s behind in the rent bc of covid and the landlord was playing hard ball. He back peddled hard when News 4 showed up. He said the door needed to be replaced and the AC units were broken but promised to have everything back soon! Lol lmao that he thought he could get away with that. I’m sure he’s frustrated and between a rock and a hard place but come on!! The front door?!?! It’s a crazy world out there.
Happy Hunting
Nutty out

I'm happy I'm not a landlord.
Too many assholes out there.
Yes there are.
So what a landlord should be doing is two things:
1. pay whatever fee the credit agencies charge (when I was a landlord many years ago it was like $25) and do a credit check on the prospective tenant (and the tenant's SO).
2. call the landlord prior to the one that the prospective tenant is renting from (the current landlord, if the tenant is a loser, will give a phony good reference just to get the tenant out; the one prior has no skin in the game so will probably give an honest reference.)

BTW, although there were many tax benefits to being a landlord, I came to the conclusion that being a landlord was a lot of work for the $ rewards (I had two apartments rented) and that it only made sense to be a landlord to 10+ apartments — not just 2 and certainly not just 1.

I’m am not a lawyer and will yield to one that might comment here but my experience as a renter has garnered much wisdom.
As a renter you have exclusive rights to the property you are renting. Landlords legally must ask permission to enter the rental and even if you are in arrears they can not deprive you of essential services such as water or electric. Unfortunately for landlords the eviction process is slow and long and very frustrating. Side note - Michael Keaton stars in a great movie - Pacific Heights which exemplifies the worst case scenario for a landlord.
that’s my two cents. As I said I’m always willing to stand corrected (or sit) so hopefully a real lawyer will come in here soon.
Happy Hunting
Nutty out
When I got my first tenants long ago I was told to watch this movie. Never let tenants have access to utility or boiler rooms. I’ve put in separate entrances so only I would have access. When things go south cold showers and intermittent power make things uncomfortable

Wow used to be queens would take 6 months Brooklyn 1 year. After Sandy they started special parts for certain zip codes. I will leave apartment empty before I rent to someone questionable. Best on was a SMOkING HOT separated mother of 3 Colombian 27 with a Swiss passport in a sundress with a thong and no bra laughing and playing with her hair.

Yes there are.
So what a landlord should be doing is two things:
1. pay whatever fee the credit agencies charge (when I was a landlord many years ago it was like $25) and do a credit check on the prospective tenant (and the tenant's SO).
2. call the landlord prior to the one that the prospective tenant is renting from (the current landlord, if the tenant is a loser, will give a phony good reference just to get the tenant out; the one prior has no skin in the game so will probably give an honest reference.)

BTW, although there were many tax benefits to being a landlord, I came to the conclusion that being a landlord was a lot of work for the $ rewards (I had two apartments rented) and that it only made sense to be a landlord to 10+ apartments — not just 2 and certainly not just 1.
even doing all that, ass-holes abound. i never rent rent without proper and solid information. home work is necessary, but individual actions don't appear until later. ie ; 2 times i have rented to law enforecment individuals. the 1st was an nypd detective. no problems on his background check. moved in with 2 pit bulls. than proceeded to paint the walls black. since he did all this before 30 days, i was able to evict him.
damage =$50k. the 2nd was a sheriff. moved out and left approx. $20k in damages to the walls, floors and a/c sleeves to name a few. when i filed legal papers against the sheriff, i was threatened . she used her position and knowledge of the housing/legal/court system to intimadate me. it almost worked. my insurance company went after her. i made sure that her family understood that i would release her name and pictures of the apartment all over the internet if she continued her harrassment .

Wow used to be queens would take 6 months Brooklyn 1 year. After Sandy they started special parts for certain zip codes. I will leave apartment empty before I rent to someone questionable. Best on was a SMOkING HOT separated mother of 3 Colombian 27 with a Swiss passport in a sundress with a thong and no bra laughing and playing with her hair.
did you rent to her ? Lol