Setting your price point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Kimmie
I do not see many clients a week. Some of that is by choice. I really do not want or need to see over 20 men a week. I have already experienced provider burn out once before.

I also think that seeing that many men in a week increases your risks. Health and physical risk..
One trick is to not cut prices but increase time.

give more time.

Something is not jiving with the calculations in this thread or what people are saying, or I'm missing something.

Let's say a provider only sees 10 guys a week. At $300 each thats $3000/week. At 50 weeks per year (2 weeks off for vacation) that's $150,000. A very very nice income! That doesn't include tips which at maybe 10% is another $15,000.

Even charging only $250, you should make at least $125,000.

Even if we take the conservative 5 guys per week it's $75,000 (@ $300 without tips)

What gives here?

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Re: one trick is not to cut prices but to give more time

Originally posted by njclassyblonde
would you be saying the same thing to your lawyer or doctor?

No, but for a good reason. Doctors and lawyers are in a business where the economists say that the demand for their services is price inelastic -- which is a fancy way of saying that if you cut prices, people don't buy more. Which makes sense, would you get 2 blood tests if the price was half? Would you get out of jail twice if the lawyer cut his fees?

Ah, but pussy is a product where the price is very elastic. We, or at least Flounder, have an almost infinite capacity to consume pussy, but are constrained by funds. When funds are tight (as in recessionary times), our consumption of pussy declines.

The point the guys are making is not an insulting one -- you are not worth it, cut your price. It is merely an economic one -- at lower prices we will consume more pussy and you will be double happy (i.e., consumed and compensated). Just the free market at work sending price signals.

yeah i've dropped my rate down to $$ for in and OUT in northern nj. i'm a very understandable person, i know that times are rough, shit times are rough for me, and i'm making tax free money. that's the way i've always been, always negotiating. and yes, i get repeat clients especially from the one that i took some dollars off for.

Now this is funny! I think econ professors should teach their concepts based on the supply and demand of pussy. It sure would have made it more interesting! LOL

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Re: Re: one trick is not to cut prices but to give more time

that does not work either, and would you be saying the same thing to your lawyer or doctor?
Originally posted by pjorourke

No, but for a good reason. Doctors and lawyers are in a business where the economists say that the demand for their services is price inelastic -- which is a fancy way of saying that if you cut prices, people don't buy more.
I have to disagree with both of you. As someone who is an actual consumer of attorneys ( hahaha ), I can tell you that I can, and very often do, negotiate attorneys fees. I shop attorneys, and keep attorneys in line by using more than one at a time, and shifting business between attorneys based on the economic incentives each offers. They know this, and very often throw in "free time", reduced rates, flat fees, etc. In addition, there is a decent amount of attorney work which I only engage if fees drop, either by way of drastically reduced hourly rates, or flat fee/contingengy fee deals.

And I can tell you that currently, I'm getting lots more than I used to of attorneys willing to do "high risk" work on contingency. I also have attorneys calling me on cases which I assigned to other attorneys, whenever something gets published in the Law Journal, just so they can show me that they are keeping up with "my stuff", even when it's been assigned elsewhere.

pjorourke

Re: Re: Re: one trick is not to cut prices but to give more time

Originally posted by slinkybender
As someone who is an actual consumer of attorneys ( hahaha )
Damn slinky! You do have some twisted hobbies.

Actually, I think you have mixed two points. The first is that you have a certain volume of required legal work that you negotiate to buy at the best price. This is analogous to a hobbyist choosing the "best bang for the buck" for his "base line" service (e.g., I got to get laid at least once a week).

Secondly, you have a certain volume of discretionary legal work that you only do at the right price. Price inelasticity does not imply that a reduction in prices produces no increase in volume; it just implies that the increase in volume does not offset the reduced revenue per. I oversimplified the definition to illustrate the point. However, I think that you would admit that you are an unusual consumer of legal services (maybe in more ways than one). Most people do not buy more when prices drop.

Slinky Bender

Re: Re: Re: Re: one trick is not to cut prices but to give more time

Actually, I think you have mixed two points. The first is that you have a certain volume of required legal work that you negotiate to buy at the best price. This is analogous to a hobbyist choosing the "best bang for the buck" for his "base line" service (e.g., I got to get laid at least once a week).
Almost none of my legal work is "required". All of it is procured on the basis of a business decison" of cost vs benefit.

Secondly, you have a certain volume of discretionary legal work that you only do at the right price. Price inelasticity does not imply that a reduction in prices produces no increase in volume; it just implies that the increase in volume does not offset the reduced revenue per. I oversimplified the definition to illustrate the point.
But "oversimplifying it" to zero really changes the meaning.

However, I think that you would admit that you are an unusual consumer of legal services (maybe in more ways than one). Most people do not buy more when prices drop.
Not at all. Most people aren't really consumers of legal sertvices at all, just like "most people" aren't consumers of "prostitution services". I think that for those ( mostly businesses ) which actually are true consumers of legal services, that they behave very much like I do. Certainly, from the reactions I get from attorneys, that appears to be the case. Anyone on the "attorney side" care to jump in here ?

pswope

One out of three
pj

as an ex (disbarred) atty and now a consumer of legal services, I think that Slinky's point re commoditization of legal serives has merit. While, lower prices might not create more aggregate demand for legal services, it undoubtedly is a significant to major factor in moving work between firms or bringing it in house.
Even the decision to litigate and thus increase the GNP of attorneys is based on a cost-benefit analysis where the lower the fees the more likely the client is to engage the attorney. of course, other factors are involved as well.

Slinky's model is most valid where the legal work requires the least amount of expertise. For example, automobile insurance co's that specialize in the residual market (assigned risk) outsource to defense firms. Because exposure is minimal the need for talent or expertise is minimal and rate is much greater a factor (or should be).
cf. You're doing an offshore debt offering looking to defer taxes for 20 years and there are only 5 attys ,who have that expertise. In the latter scenario the cost benefit would lean to spending the xtra $$$.

Slinky Bender

Originally posted by pswope
For example, automobile insurance co's that specialize in the residual market (assigned risk) outsource to defense firms. Because exposure is minimal the need for talent or expertise is minimal and rate is much greater a factor (or should be).
cf. You're doing an offshore debt offering looking to defer taxes for 20 years and there are only 5 attys ,who have that expertise. In the latter scenario.
Which, to bring this a bit back on topic, is why many indys can keep their price points even in a slumping economy, but both in general, and certainly with agencies/houses, it's important to adjust prices, quality, or services in order to maintain a volume which will keep them in business.

pjorourke

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: one trick is not to cut prices but to give more time

Originally posted by slinkybender
Almost none of my legal work is "required". All of it is procured on the basis of a business decison" of cost vs benefit.
As are most decisions made by the big head.

But "oversimplifying it" to zero really changes the meaning.
Not entirely, but given this audience I should have chosen my words more carefully.

Not at all. Most people aren't really consumers of legal sertvices at all, just like "most people" aren't consumers of "prostitution services". I think that for those ( mostly businesses ) which actually are true consumers of legal services, that they behave very much like I do. Certainly, from the reactions I get from attorneys, that appears to be the case. Anyone on the "attorney side" care to jump in here ?
Clearly, most legal services are a commodity and your behavior is normal for a corporate buyer. My reference to your unusualness (is that a word) was relative to the population in general which you correctly note, largely doesn't consume legal services.

btw, nice going steering this back on track. I've never had an "offshore debt financing" from a provider. But I'm looking forward to trying it.

Originally posted by greekgirlinnj
i will consider lowering my prices or hey how bout this...what if we extended the session by a half hour
right on! all businesses, and particularly customer service businesses like prostitution, ultimately are dependent on repeat customers for their continuing success and profitability.

while it would be wonderful if all the sex workers that i've seen were doing their best during every session to assure that i'd come back again.....rather than just cum quickly and go, that's just not the real world.

as greekgirl is suggesting, some extra quality and/or time is a good deal all around. i'm happier and more likely to return and she gets extra business for just a bit more effort.

Re: one trick is not to cut prices but to give more time

that does not work either, and would you be saying the same thing to your lawyer or doctor?
certainly, everything's negotiable in this shitty economy.......altho i might just refrain from negotiating his fee with a brain surgeon who was about to operate on me.

Originally posted by San_Te
Now this is funny! I think econ professors should teach their concepts based on the supply and demand of pussy. It sure would have made it more interesting! LOL
san_te - that's great! instead of beginning economics 101 with "there is no such thing as a free lunch", it would be a lot more interesting to say "there is no such thing as free pussy."

Status
Not open for further replies.