Removal of washers and dryers

Hey Slinky,
Thanks as well for your input and advise.....the suds backing up I don't think is a problem. Plus I have a 2 foot washer and a 2 foot dryer that wheels over to the sink and the connection is temporary while I am at home and using the washer and dryer. I do not use them when I am not at home and the connection is temporary (washer wheels over to the sink and the hoses pull out and connect) Then they are removed from the sink and go back into the washer. The dryer is a sep. entity and does not cause a fire as it is a sep. entity as well.

I'm a landlord, smaller buildings.

I don't let my tenants have washers or dryers because I pay for water and heat. An older machie can use 40+ gallons of water per load. Imagine my monthly water bill. If I allowed it, I couldn't limit how much it was used. I have let tenants have dishwashers, washers, dryers in the past and regretted it so it's a no no now. Adding to Mr. Benders comments, the rules that govern condos and co-op are sometimes overlooked and management companies don't make a fuss until something happens like very large water bills or damage to another apt. due to flooding, both of which they are liable for. An example of something that is overlooked and may possibly become the norm; pets. Pets like washer/dryers may not be allowed, but slowly and quietly people aquire them, after years many may have pets or washer/dryers with no problem until an incident occurs and decisions are made by the management company. They don't make decisions like this out of the blue.

But I don't think they were thinking of that when the outlawed all of them. You don't think this was only aimed at you alone, do you?
No not at all. I don't think they even know I have them. It is directly aimed at a women on the second floor at the other end of the complex. The people on the first floor complain everytime the spin cycle goes off it drives them crazy with the noise. The problem is they sent around 2 memos claiming they are going to inspect each unit very soon and if they are not removed the units will be fined.

Last edited:
Pets like washer/dryers may not be allowed, but slowly and quietly people aquire them, after years many may have pets or washer/dryers with no problem until an incident occurs and decisions are made by the management company. They don't make decisions like this out of the blue.
I think you are correct. It started because of one women on the other end (stated above) I guess I am trying to figure a way that I can still keep them. Maybe by being smaller portable ones they wouldn't create damage ? I only use them when I am home and the connections are removed after each use (it hooks to the kitchen sink).
The water usage ?? anyone can shower or soak in a tub for large amounts of time or many times a day and use just as much water. I think they also want to try to get people to use the coin operated ones in the basements because they profit 50/50 with the machine company. I also thought possibly putting a couple bucks in an escrow account to guard against potential damage....possibly charge 10 bucks a month more in the monthly maint. fee to put towards the water bill ?? I am just thinking of an amicable solution where both sides win.

Last edited:
It's the old case of one ruining things for many. Once a nuisance was created, management must make a choice, as unreasonable as it is, once a decision is made, it a done deal. You sound very reasonable, but your ideas will fall on deaf ears. Sorry for your dilemma.

If you sold, do you think this problem wouldn't arise elsewhere? A co-op wouldn't allow washer/dryers in apts. and condos are real tricky, as you've experienced. If you like where you live, think carefully about selling, especially in this market. Good luck.

My thoughts at this point is to either move to a development where each unit has their own "laundry room" or to just buy a free standing house. As far as the value...I agree but also the thinking is if I will have to accept less in this housing market...I would be buying at less a price as well....and maybe even out.

A house will give you all the freedom to do your own maintenance, shovel snow, garbage, mow the lawn etc. If you're up for it, you'll be happier in the long run. Good luck.