Red Light and Speed Cameras

To my surprise I received a violation in the mail recently indicating I was speeding on a busy Queens thoroughfare ( 15 mph over posted limit)... Cannot remember if there were any warning signs posted.. Time and date stamped..
The issue.. my s/o opened the mail.. I had no business being where I was, when I was... ( a mongering trip)
Escaped with some fast talking...

Being a LI resident- be aware of a growing number of cameras and speed restrictions in NYC and outer boros

I agree with you @trader1 early May I received a ticket on the mail for Driving on the bus lane on NYC 14th St East bound right before Unions Square. Crazy thing is that I’ve been driving on NYC for 10+ yrs and I’m very familiar with the area, it must be a recent change only trucks and Buses are allowed to drive through Union Square on 14th Street, or else you will get a ticket on the mail like me. I live on the island and I’ve know of some red light cameras and speed traps that have been taken down because people feel it’s not fair and in some form fee like they’re been targeted depending on the town.

NYC red light camera are $50 bucks with no hidden corruption fees. Long Island cameras are $50 also but throw on all these ridiculous made up fees which equal to $150 plus a surcharge fee for paying online.

we are one of the last places in the entire country that still have these programs. They have been thrown out as unconstitutional in many parts of it. I once went to court to see if you can fight it and over 90% of the traffic court was for red light cameras. The other 10% seemed to be driving while using a cellphone to a cut a deal to either put a device in a car or to get points on license.

If you go for the red light camera they will only knock off a late fee if it is late otherwise there is no negotiating it.
Read somewhere a few years back that the politicians use you projected numbers from camera revenue for the county budgets. Which is kind of insane when you think about it.

billyS

Reign of Terror
NYC red light camera are $50 bucks with no hidden corruption fees. Long Island cameras are $50 also but throw on all these ridiculous made up fees which equal to $150 plus a surcharge fee for paying online.

we are one of the last places in the entire country that still have these programs. They have been thrown out as unconstitutional in many parts of it. I once went to court to see if you can fight it and over 90% of the traffic court was for red light cameras. The other 10% seemed to be driving while using a cellphone to a cut a deal to either put a device in a car or to get points on license.

If you go for the red light camera they will only knock off a late fee if it is late otherwise there is no negotiating it.
Read somewhere a few years back that the politicians use you projected numbers from camera revenue for the county budgets. Which is kind of insane when you think about it.
Right on the money @Massy !
Red Light cameras are only about generating revenue.
They put them in spots that are busy and people tend to try to run yellows because the wait for the next green is long. Then they shorten the time of the yellow.

They tried this shit with cameras catching people speeding in school zones in Nassau a little while back and the shit they pulled was so bad the legislature's backed down because they knew they couldn't defend it.
One district turned on the camera at night and claimed it was because there was a meeting going on. Another set theirs up on the Service road of the LIE only because it ran behind the school.

I have a friend that tried to fight a red light camera ticket. The judge looked at the video, determined he was speeding, gave him a speeding ticket in addition to the camera ticket. Only person I know that was able to go in with one ticket and leave with two

They tried this shit with cameras catching people speeding in school zones in Nassau a little while back and the shit they pulled was so bad the legislature's backed down because they knew they couldn't defend it.
One district turned on the camera at night and claimed it was because there was a meeting going on. Another set theirs up on the Service road of the LIE only because it ran behind the school.
Some school disticts are now putting red light cameras on school busses to catch people not stopping for them. Which I support, except for the sudden influx of BS tickets that'll come from people not stopping on the other side of a divided highway (like the stretch of vets highway between the jericho merge and the northern state/347 merge). Fundamentally, theres no real reason to stop on the other side of a divided highway for a school bus, but this is NY.

To my surprise I received a violation in the mail recently indicating I was speeding on a busy Queens thoroughfare ( 15 mph over posted limit)... Cannot remember if there were any warning signs posted.. Time and date stamped..
The issue.. my s/o opened the mail.. I had no business being where I was, when I was... ( a mongering trip)
Escaped with some fast talking...

Being a LI resident- be aware of a growing number of cameras and speed restrictions in NYC and outer boros
There are signs posted (at least on union turnpike) in queens saying that you cannot exceed (i believe it was 25 mph) I was doing 36 which i think is what triggered it, and got the ticket in the mail. Went on vacation, forgot about it, one thing lead to another and they suspended my license over it, which promptly caused me to get arrested while driving at night and [successfully] fight a long list of tickets.

long story short, watch your speed/ speed signs, pay your ticket on time, avoid any suspensions.

Some school disticts are now putting red light cameras on school busses to catch people not stopping for them. Which I support, except for the sudden influx of BS tickets that'll come from people not stopping on the other side of a divided highway (like the stretch of vets highway between the jericho merge and the northern state/347 merge). Fundamentally, theres no real reason to stop on the other side of a divided highway for a school bus, but this is NY.
Happened to me 40 yrs ago on Park Ave in Long Beach. 3 lanes going east and 3 lanes going west with about 60ft of grass in between. Told the cop I didn't see it because I keep my eyes on whats in front of me and not 120ft to my left. He let me go.

There are signs posted (at least on union turnpike) in queens saying that you cannot exceed (i believe it was 25 mph) I was doing 36 which i think is what triggered it, and got the ticket in the mail. Went on vacation, forgot about it, one thing lead to another and they suspended my license over it, which promptly caused me to get arrested while driving at night and [successfully] fight a long list of tickets.

long story short, watch your speed/ speed signs, pay your ticket on time, avoid any suspensions.
You had to have over 11 points on your license that made you exceed to get suspended I believe. Guessing you had a bunch of other tickets or things on your license at the time? Couldn’t be over that one ticket.
On that note however they will boot your car if you have two or more unpaid red light camera tickets. They have a van that goes around in middle of the night and also in public parking lots at peak times. They pretty much hold the car ransom and you pay over the phone and get a pin to take the boot off.

On my camera ticket for 36 mph they claimed it was a school zone. I have no idea what school was around that location, unless there was provider message training going on.

Red Light cameras are only about generating revenue.
They put them in spots that are busy and people tend to try to run yellows because the wait for the next green is long. Then they shorten the time of the yellow.

And nassau red light cams do video so if you don’t come to complete stop you get the ticket. It’s actually video w stills extracted

Glad to hear this worked out well despite the inconveniences
Are you sure you did not get cuffed because you were smashing the guys wife or GF :)

Everything is illuminated these days. In police Terminology they have had “LPR’s” for years. Basically it’s a series of “plate readers” located strategically throughout the entire city along with major bridge crossings. They can track your movements with timestamp photography if they’re doing an investigation.

The speed cameras, Red light cameras and bus lane cameras really suck! I’ve been the recipient of quite a few fines.

Just like Posted Speed Limits, they are set arbitrarily low to create speeders. Road engineers design roads and set the recommendation of a Posted Speed Limit to be the 80% of drivers speed. The government can't survive without making more people paper criminals

Both NYS Law and Federal Guidelines require that an Amber Lights configuration be set according to the "actual" speeds driven by drivers approaching the light, not the Posted Speed Limit. There is nearly an 70% difference in the actual approach speeds with the road engineers design limits and roadway recommendations of the posted speed limit - the local governments then lower the Engineers recommendations not for safety but for increasing enforcement revenue generation.

The one thing that every single study has identified as reducing traffic accidents at intersections (and the least costly) is to increase Yellow Light times.

Again most of the drivers aren't breaking the law, but these intersections are targeted by politicians to generate revenue and they have an incentive to shorten the ambers so that they can create the crime; people get caught and pay a fine or get into an accident as a result of the shortened ambers.

Back in 2015, Newsday revealed that there is a ticket quota with Xerox that determines the locations of cameras, none of the cameras were ever set up for safety reasons... it's all about stealing money from the public
[https://www.newsday.com/red-light-cameras-draw-complaints-at-suffolk-hearing-1.11117317]

They acknowledging that the amber is shortened prior to installing the cameras, and that despite the rhetoric about safety, it's goal is just to raise revenue (still not one study to date has provided any evidence that these cameras do anything to increase safety), however, delayed green and lengthened amber up to the required traffic engineering standards do.

The statistics are in - evidenced that red light cameras CAUSE accidents while creating a revenue stream - They are not for safety but for the $$$.
[https://www.newsday.com/long-island/politics/red-light-camera-suffolk-nassau-1.18387881]

[https://www.newsday.com/long-island...ckets-dropped-over-time-report-says-1.7835679]

[https://time.com/3505994/red-light-camera-problems-tickets/]

Suffolk County Legislator Robert Trotta exposing the Red Light Camera Scam. Click on our link to download the annual reports Robert Trotta is talking.
"A red-light camera installation plan without a professional engineer’s certification is identical to a medical prescription without a doctor’s signature."
[ ]

The RedFlex (Xerox Red Light Camera competitor) CEO was held accountable...sadly Xerox hasn't been to date
[https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndil/p...tion-awarding-city-chicago-s-red-light-camera]

2020 Red Light Revenue disastrous because of fewer drivers getting tickets.
[https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-disrupting-red-light-camera-company-revenue-2020-4]

Once the government has exhausted the revenue (theft) from one location they move the cameras to a new location to steal more at another lucrative location; but they leave the base so that they can bring the Cameras back later for more revenue/theft with little effort. These stumps now ending up with overgrown grass and are causing car damage to unsuspecting cars pulling over.
[https://longisland.news12.com/critics-bases-of-former-red-light-cameras-pose-threat-34742112]

Red Light "Stump Finder".
Below is the former link to list of locations for stumps. You use to find 2 stumps at each location. the URL is now defunct, and I am hoping for someone else to restart this valuable service.
[http://www.redlightscam.com/cameras-removed.html]

RED LIGHT CAMERA Somehow an intersection is supposedly so dangerous and in dire need of stealing your money, that they can't station a officer there to steal your money.
current locations:
[https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1NmX9ndN3ehNGOUZTum-wxrHA-jI]

Very few people pay the extortion fees:
[https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article228546264.html]

Ways to beat the Red Light Camera Ticket:
[https://nytrafficticket.com/how-debbie-eisenstadt-beat-her-ny-red-light-camera-ticket]

In Suffolk County:
The Suffolk County Employee who certifies the Red Light Tickets is named Mordicai Hay.

According to Newsday's Suffolk County Salaries website, his official title is "Clerk Typist" at an annual salary of $7,818 per year and was hired in 4/14/2014.

Suffolk County believes he is a qualified technician who can determine if you are guilty of a red light camera ticket by watching your video on the second floor of the Dennison Building. His title/function is a Clerk typist which apparently makes him more qualified than an engineer or even a police officer to watch your videos all day. So when you call the 800 number request that Mordicai Hay be present to explain to you how the camera system works, the calibration, the yellow light timings, etc. Demand a copy of the technician's certification before your hearing!!!

You have a right to face your accuser. DEFECTIVE CERTIFICATION:
Case must be dismissed as a matter of law:
People v. Eisenstadt
48 Misc. 3d 56, 15 NYS 3d 542, 2015 NY … - NY: Appellate Term, …, 2015 - Google Scholar
This action was commenced to impose a civil liability upon defendant as the owner of a vehicle which was recorded by a "traffic-control signal photo violation-monitoring" device failing to comply with a traffic-control device in violation of Local Law No. 12 (2009) of the County of _____________

I think you can set up an account so the tickets go paperless and just go to your email. I did it, but can't remember if it was for Suffolk, Nassau or the city. I also set up through USPS the email where I get a picture of every piece of mail that will be in my mailbox every day.

No...whatever shows up when you log in will be in your box. A picture if the mail piece will show up and that's what you get in your mailbox. No filters at all.