Rao's

It's hard to see Cipriani's as a New York institution.
Totally agree, JL. Cipriani's is over-priced, over-hyped, poor service and mediocre food. Peter Lugar's IS a NY institution, and deserves the sobriquet. An expensive institution, for sure.

The only place that I have heard the term "gravy" applied to past sauce is from my buddy's Italian mother-in-law in Brooklyn. Man, she knew how to make it.

The cachet surrounding Rao's amazes me. It looks like a tired old Mafia money-laudering place to me. I was singularly unimpressed even tho' one of my clients loved to take me there.

By the way, if I was an owner of Rao's and Blond Kel walked in, she would get top-notch service!

Enjoy,

Chels

Would love to, there is one in GC just blocks from my studio, a few Bellinis then a trip to the Studio, sounds like fun to me!
BK: I occasionally go to the bar at Cip's in GCT - there is one lady bartender who is fun! Also go to MJ's as well where I have fun with an "ambidextrous" lady bartender!!

Looking forward to seeing you,

Chels

There always have, and always will be, restaurants which are about othet things than the food (not that the food needs to be terrible for this to be the case, like in Tavern on the Green). Look at Le Cirque (whose falling food ratings don't seem to bother those who go there).

There always have, and always will be, restaurants which are about othet things than the food (not that the food needs to be terrible for this to be the case, like in Tavern on the Green). Look at Le Cirque (whose falling food ratings don't seem to bother those who go there).
Quite true by the UG Staff. There are many reasons why people go to restaurants. In some cases, it is for the atmosphere (e.g. Tavern on the Green), in other cases for the decor, in lots of cases "to be seen" and in many cases for the price or convenience. Ethnic restaurants have their own following due to diners' senses of adventure or familiarity with the cuisine. I sure this group could come up with many more reasons. In my case, it is for the food quality especially at NYC prices. As I have stated previously on this site, friendly and high quality service are critical for my enjoyment of the experience. Haughty, snobby, inattendant hosts/hostesses and waitstaff just drive me crazy. This from a New York native who has been a frequent restaurant-goer for lo these many years!

Here's to good food,

Chels

I didn't mean to imply that Cipriani's isn't an institution of some sorts -- and I'm CERTAINLY never gonna say anything bad about their Bellinis. I just meant that it's a Venitian institution. The New York places are just outposts. Like the Craft in LA.

I didn't mean to imply that Cipriani's isn't an institution of some sorts -- and I'm CERTAINLY never gonna say anything bad about their Bellinis. I just meant that it's a Venitian institution. The New York places are just outposts. Like the Craft in LA.

As usual, a cogent point by JL. Having been to the Venetian "home office" I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Chels

That all depends. We never called it gravy growing up and my grandmother was FOB.
This has been a bone of contention amongst my friends for years. It always ended up with someone thinking his dad was more italian than everyone else's. My family never called it gravy but I see a lot of third generation NJ italians calling it gravy. My grandmother said it was the same guys that don't pronounce all the beautiful vowels at the end of our words that call it gravy.

I think certain places have become institutions in multiple locations. Cip's empire was really built in the states - and while the Venetian outpost is an icon, the legend was perpetuated and really entrenched in NYC.
-RPH