Quintessential New York Restaurant

Word on the street is that Yonah's has sucked for 20 years. I went recently and it lived down to the low expectations.

If you think that's a good knish, don't worry. Consider yourself lucky in that you didn't spend much of your childhood in places like Rego Park and Riverdale.
On the subject of knishes, I love Knish Nosh on the FH/Rego border. This summer, they were running the concession stand at the north end of the pond in Flushing Meadow Park.

So, this fine summer day, I was eating a Knish Nosh knish while I was watching a dragon boat race on the lake (it was the weekend when they having that festival or championship or whatever). After the end of the race--and my knish--I turn around to get another and the Unisphere looms and Arthur Ache Stadium lies behind it. Not really a restaurant, but somehow a quintessential New York food moment.

Oh, also:

Yonah Schimmel, feh. They are worse than the hot dog cart knishes.

Oyster Bar, love it. The clam chowder and a cold beer at the counter--quintessential New York ++. They oysters aren't bad, either.

I also like the David Burke burger place in Bloomingdales.

Having a burger at Peter Luger for lunch and paying 15% of what you'd pay for a steak dinner. It's the Lohman's of lunches.

On the subject of knishes, I love Knish Nosh on the FH/Rego border. This summer, they were running the concession stand at the north end of the pond in Flushing Meadow Park.

So, this fine summer day, I was eating a Knish Nosh knish while I was watching a dragon boat race on the lake (it was the weekend when they having that festival or championship or whatever). After the end of the race--and my knish--I turn around to get another and the Unisphere looms and Arthur Ache Stadium lies behind it. Not really a restaurant, but somehow a quintessential New York food moment.

They've had that stand the last two or three years since they rebuilt the pier on Meadows Lake (on the site where the old Aquacade used to be).

Went to Mark Joseph's Steak House in the financial district. Excellent food. Similar to Peter Luger's with a little more atmosphere. The steak for 2 was excellent.

I hope we're not going to get into a long debate now about where the FH/Rego Park border is.
I guess I'd say when you stop seeing awful chain restaurants and really bad Queens bars, you know you're leaving FH. When you start seeing strip clubs that were good 20 years ago and good ethic food and delis, you know you're in Rego Park.

I didn't feel like posting in the old restaurant thread, so I just want to say I was at Nobu 57 last night with 6 people and all we had were appetizers and sake. Amazing food, I thought. The kobe beef was outstanding. Great vibe, great food.

While admittedly not even close to quintessential, I have enjoyed spectacular sea food at Blue Fin in Times Square the last couple of weeks. And, IMHO, one of the best bar locations in the City.

Last edited:
Tell you guys what. Let's keep this thread on topic.

If you wanna talk about Nobu 57 or Blue Fin, you don't need to search out the general "Restaurants" thread. You could start a thread for that restaurant.