Quintessential New York Restaurant

Since we are taking walk down memory lane, how about the Jahn's Ice Cream palor at the corner of Hillside and Myrtle in Richmond Hill. At least when I was a kid a half century or so ago, that was the place to go.

Monk said:
What about the Oyster Bar at Grand Central?
What I think is wrong with nominations like this is that, we're all New Yorkers. When was the last time you went to the Oyster Bar? I would think that a qunitessential New York restaurant would be a restaurant New Yorkers actually go to (and that's unique to New York in its vibe or food or something). That's part of life in New York as it's lived now. The Oyster Bar might have been quintessentially New York a hundred years ago. But now it's just a relic.

Jahn's is still the place to go... but because it sits on the Kew Gardens side of both Myrtle and Hillside aves (the so called border)... most refer to it NOW as Jahn's of Kew Gardens rather than of Richmond Hill. I guess the very vast difference in the market value of houses between the two nabes dictates that.

justlooking said:
What I think is wrong with nominations like this is that, we're all New Yorkers. When was the last time you went to the Oyster Bar? I would think that a qunitessential New York restaurant would be a restaurant New Yorkers actually go to (and that's unique to New York in its vibe or food or something). That's part of life in New York as it's lived now. The Oyster Bar might have been quintessentially New York a hundred years ago. But now it's just a relic.
What I love about New Yorkers, is that if you ask them what restaurant is quintessentially New York, all you're going to get is a quintessential New York argument. Ask people from, say, Memphis the same question and they'll all immediately agree on one place.

When we all read the Papaya King suggestion, all of us shrugged, sighed in resignation, let out a chuckle and said to ourselves, yeah, I can sort of see that. Waiting on line, standing--we don't sit--to scarf down a few dogs, the quintessential New York food, elbow to elbow with guys that talk to themselves and bleed from open wounds--and no one blinks an eye--and ponder life all in a New York minute, then we're off.

All roads lead to Papaya King.

Jahns Bronx location

Spent many a Saturday night there in the summer after taking in a movie on Fordham Road or at the Paradise on the Grand Concourse with my then GF and future wife, having a sundae and soda. Then we made the trip home for some young teenage sex. Ahh to be young again.

What was the name of that monster ice cream dish they served, I thought it was something like The Kitchen Sink but for some reason it doesn't sound right.

Back in the day if one could finish "The Kitchen Sink" (after any meal)..... it was free. But I think they've downsized it over the years and got rid of the freeie deal.

justlooking said:
Note that I DIDN'T make that comment about Jahn's.

But I think that might only apply to the Jahn's in Queens. That's the original with the original black painted walls with 80 or 90 years of name carvings in them, not to mention the original oil lamps and that old fashioned penny jukebox made out of wood with an entire automated band enclosed behind glass.

Ozzy said:
Jahn's is still the place to go... but because it sits on the Kew Gardens side of both Myrtle and Hillside aves (the so called border)... most refer to it NOW as Jahn's of Kew Gardens rather than of Richmond Hill. I guess the very vast difference in the market value of houses between the two nabes dictates that.
I thought the border between Kew Gardens and Richmond Hill was the Long Island Railroad threstle, you know, where Sid (?) was shot in his caddy behind Salerno's.

justlooking said:
Actually, I order from there quite a bit because one of the studios we contract with is located nearby. They have a great fresh grilled tuna sandwich on semolina bread with cilantro salsa that makes a terrific lunch. Their cheesecake is excellent, as well. And, when I used to work nearby, we'd go sit at the counter for chowder at lunch. It's a blast -- people who work in the neighborhood know it well. Lots of New Yorkers sitting there with us. It's not just a tourist joint at all! And it's a uniquely New York experience.

Last edited:
DickTheLawyer said:
I thought the border between Kew Gardens and Richmond Hill was the Long Island Railroad threstle, you know, where Sid (?) was shot in his caddy behind Salerno's.

It's hard to explain but Park Lane South borders Woodhaven, KG and RH when it crosses Myrtle and makes that turn along the park. But although the few blocks between the tracks and Myrtle ave (112st-115st) fall in the RH side they have a KG zip code north of 85th ave and a RH code south. So the border with RH really runs along the north side of Myrtle then down 85th. Jahns is on the RH side of the tracks and 85th ave, but since it's on such a small parcel of land that kind of juts between KG and Woodhaven, many include it in the KG side. There's a lot of diaginal streets thats why the border zig-zags in that corner.

Jahns is Richmond Hill cause it's on that "parcel of land" and on THAT side of the tracks, but because the difference in the nabes has changed so drastically in the last 20 years... RH becoming predominantly Hispanic, Guyanese, West Indian etc... and KG has remaining predominantly Jewish (you have litterally have multi million dollar homes up the street from rat holes)... no one on those border streets will ever admit to being on the RH side.

No... Glens is strictly in RH. If you look at a map you'll see the sliver of land I'm talking about. There's all straight borders but this little sliver that protrudes into the KG/Woodhaven section. Jahns, the bingo hall and Salerno's all are on the sliver (and whats behind them). I think Salerno's biz cards/menus read Kew Gardens.

Last edited:
justlooking said:
I am SO with you re davidburke & donatella.
I've wanted to try that place for a while.

I like the Knickerbocker too, but it's always felt like more of a neighborhood gem than a quintessentially New York place. And there are better steakhouse choices that have already been mentioned.