Provider Sites With An Idea Behind Them

It would depend on the site-and the prov. Some prov's prefer not to have any overhead and those are the sites that all look the same and have templates. Most of these sites let you customize your template and use html codes but there are limitations. A majority of prov's prefer to have a paid hosted site that is designed by themselves or a web designer and they usually invest in professional pictures. If you are PC friendly 'go daddy' is one site that gives you all the tools that you would need to build your own site and it is user friendly.
The best of Luck to you & a warm Welcome to UG!
Superwoman01
Thank you so much, Superwoman! This is valuable info. I'm sorta PC-friendly, and have actually attempted to make my own site at geocities a while back (not knowing any better). Will def. check out your suggestion.

Finally, to answer the question, "do templates turn you off a lot," it depends on the level of service. Certainly, a provider on the high end with a cheap, templated site would likely raise a red flag. On the lower end, it's almost expected these days. Remember, the site you put up is your calling card. Until someone actually contacts you, it's one of your only means of communication with potential clients (other than, say, paid advertisements). The impression it leaves will determine the type of client that responds to the site.
Yeah, that's kinda the problem isn't it! I want to be high-end, but to be high-end I need to spend money upfront for a good site and pics. I guess I should just take a plunge one of these days!