Poll: Discriminatory practices of providers

What are your feelings on the discriminatory practices of providers based on race?

• I think it's deplorable and I refuse to patronize anyone that I am aware of who practices this.

Votes: 29 17.0%
  • I think it's deplorable, but I admit I will see them if they will see me.

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Although immoral there are instances in which I think it is acceptable or a necessary evil.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I think it's deplorable, but a woman's right to choose is more important.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I don't care, I just want to get laid.

Votes: 34 19.9%
  • I think its acceptable and have no problem with it.

Votes: 55 32.2%

• Total voters
And that doesn't mean that "whores are cheap" or "whores are less than women" or any offensive nonsense like that. It means that we ALL have to associate with people in business that we wouldn't choose to associate with otherwise.

Last edited:
I am not going to bother to reply to the accusations about why I say what I say on this board.

Anyone that knows me, and has ever read any of my posts, as NYV, and as Kimmie, knows the deal..

But I will say this, and hopefully someone will understand my example:

I would be pretty pissed off if my OB/GYN did not take me as a patient because he doesn't find black, or bi- racial pussy to be appealing.

When he decided to be an OB/GYN he knew he was going to encounter all types of women. Fat, thin, young, old, black, white, asian, indian, latin.

If it would have been a problem for him to give a pap smear to someone of color, he should have chosen a profession.

Last edited:
Fucking three minute edit.. I meant to type, he should have chosen a different profession...

And to point out. I have a preference in the type of men I date ( when I get the time to date) That's me being a woman. I am not working.I am on my on personal time. I can be picky and choosy about who I see because this is about me, as a woman, not Vanessa the working girl.

I don't turn a client away because he isnt my type.( skin color, height, weight, or eye color)

If he is clean, shows me respect, and has the $$ that I require for an appointment, he is in.

Last edited:

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Originally posted by justlooking
Is this one of those situations where you'd think I was being patronizing if I said "great posts", or where you'd appreciate the support?
Wow, that sets a record and establishes a whole new level of patronization!

-Ww

Originally posted by justlooking
Remind me, NYV:

Is this one of those situations where you'd think I was being patronizing if I said "great posts", or where you'd appreciate the support?
Ditto to jl's comment. I used to disagree with NYV about how being a professional doesn't exclude you from being able to have preferences, but after her last comment, I see her point.

FoxyMonica is also ignoring the fact that some providers turn away people based on race who they would date. (I believe that this is most common in black women whose pimps don't let them sell their pussy to black guys, but who would date black guys as women--rather than providers. I know someone in this situation.)

Originally posted by Ny Vanessa

But I will say this, and hopefully someone will understand my example:

I would be pretty pissed off if my OB/GYN did not take me as a patient because he doesn't find black, or bi- racial pussy to be appealing.

What if he did turn you away. I guess you would just see another OB/Gyn.

People have the right and a business has the right to do business with whom ever they want to do business with.

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by Daddycool
People have the right and a business has the right to do business with whom ever they want to do business with.
Define 'right' because if you mean 'legal right' you're wrong.

(If you mean 'ethical right', you're probably wrong, too, but let's start with the easy cases first)

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by justme
Define 'right' because if you mean 'legal right' you're wrong.
Weren't you claiming to be a lawyer in some other thread? Do you know what any Bar in the county would do to a firm that had a stated policy of not taking on Chinese clients?

Wwanderer

Originally posted by Daddycool
Huh? You must have been out the week they covered the Civil Rights movement (and Act) in US history.

However, as I said/asked in another thread, I believe that the relevant Fed laws only apply to businesses of more than some minimum size (defined in terms of number of employees?) because they otherwise cannot be presumed to be engaged in interstate commerce (hence no jurisdiction) or something along those lines. If I am right about this (and it is based on a slightly hazy memory, so a reality check from one of our attorney members would be good), an indie provider or a small enough MP could legally turn away clients based on race in at least some states.

-Ww

Wouldn't it be as much a matter of business classification? As a freelance writer, I am free to turn away any prospective client I wish, and I don't have to give a reason. If the KKK comes to me and offers me twenty times my standard fee to write their new propaganda campaign, I'm not required by any law (that I know of) to overcome my revulsion by everything they stand for, cash their check and start writing...

justme

homo economicus
1. Independant contractors are handled a little differently under the law (and in ways that I don't really understand).

2. 'KKK' is not a race.

3. But if you had a 'Writing Business' and you had a policy of never working for Tuvans, and some Tuvan defense fund was able to legally prove you had such a policy regardless of whether you told the Tuvan's why you were rejecting their business you'd be subject to some legal woes.

FoxxyMonica

If you talked like that where I come from girl, they'd put you in the oxtail stew. Take everybody one at a time. People from Trinidad are different than people from Brooklyn.

Wwanderer

Originally posted by Cat_Ballou

1 - Wouldn't it be as much a matter of business classification? As a freelance writer, I am free to turn away any prospective client I wish, and I don't have to give a reason.

2 - If the KKK comes to me and offers me twenty times my standard fee to write their new propaganda campaign, I'm not required by any law (that I know of) to overcome my revulsion by everything they stand for, cash their check and start writing...
1 - My understanding (which I will keep posting in an attempt to get someone who is more expert to comment) is that it is not because of what you do (freelance writing) but because you are a "small business", not engaging in interstate commerce (necessarily). However, if you were a large firm that provided writing services, you would not be allowed to systematically turn away customers based on their race.

2 - However, I think you could turn away a KKK job for political reasons even if you were a big firm. The law does not require you to take all customers; it simply says that there are certain criteria (race, gender, age, disabbility, religious affiliation) which you are not allowed to consider. So, as far as I understand it, a national restaurant chain could refuse to serve registered Republicans or people wearing hats or even left handed people if it chose to do so because there is no specific law forbiding discrimination on those grounds.

-Ww

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by pjorourke
Isn't a prostitute an independent contractor?
Most of the posts on this page are in response to Daddycool's post at the bottom of the previous page which only claimed 'businesses' could discriminate indiscrimantly.