Only Commit One Crime at a Time

I've often posted what I consider prudent advice to members of UG to follow while mongering.

Some examples: If you are in a bordello patronizing a prostitute (the one crime) do not have illegal substances in your possession. If you are cruising the streets of Hempstead to pick u a SW obey the speed limits, traffic lights, stop signs, car inspection and registration up to date, etc.

Following this rule will either minimize your grief in a contact with LE, or even better, greatly reduce the possibility of any contact in the first place.

So below is the story of a guy who violated the rule. He had violated the rule by speeding when he had a gun, extended capacity magazine and heroin in his possession. So now he is facing drug felonies, criminal possession of a weapon, unlawful fleeing from police officer, reckless driving, endangering the welfare of a child (there was a child in the car), reckless driving and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle — all of which probably would not have cascaded down on him had he not been speeding.

Besides some serious jail time, I suspect that he is also going to lose his job as a rocket scientist.

Newsday Jan 17, 2019

Trying to evade Suffolk County police, a mother with her 19-month-old daughter in the backseat drove her car at two officers, who leapt out of the way before she crashed into a police vehicle blocking her path in Farmingville on Tuesday night, police said.

Sitting beside her was a man armed with a loaded handgun and carrying heroin, police said.

His bid to escape the state trooper who had stopped him for speeding on the Long Island Expressway less than an hour beforehand kicked off the tangle of crimes that involved state and Suffolk police and left both defendants facing multiple felonies after their arrests, police said.

The gun, which had an extended capacity magazine, and the heroin were seized from Joshua Francois, 23, of Middle Island, State Police said. The mother, Casandra Diaferio, 32, of Coram, was arrested and charged by Suffolk police.

The infant was unharmed, Stony Brook University Hospital determined. No other serious injuries were reported.

Francois was driving west in a white BMW on the Long Island Expressway when stopped by a trooper near Exit 65 in Medford at 8:03 p.m., State Police said in a statement. He took off before the trooper got out of his vehicle.

The trooper gave chase and the pursuit ended on Allegheny Drive at the border of Medford and Farmingville, where Francois ran off, State Police said........

Great advise! People can be so stupid!!! Like the guy who robbed his neighbor after a blizzard. The cops followed the foot steps in the snow from his back door to the victims!!
Thanks Nutty

Kinda what happened to me tonite.Wasn't mongering at all but was pulled over because window tint on my car"was too dark".Good thing i was by myself i guess....anyways guys anyone know what the deal is with this tint? Officer "gave me a break" only ticketing me for 1 drivers side window tint and not all 4 windows. Mind you car is a 2005 with 150,000 miles on it and i bought it that way.NEVER had an issue getting it inspected passed no problem window issue never came up! Gonna plead not guilty and see what happens-thought they had to use a tool to show if it was too dark

Kinda what happened to me tonite.Wasn't mongering at all but was pulled over because window tint on my car"was too dark".Good thing i was by myself i guess....anyways guys anyone know what the deal is with this tint? Officer "gave me a break" only ticketing me for 1 drivers side window tint and not all 4 windows. Mind you car is a 2005 with 150,000 miles on it and i bought it that way.NEVER had an issue getting it inspected passed no problem window issue never came up! Gonna plead not guilty and see what happens-thought they had to use a tool to show if it was too dark
It seems that there are a multitude of ways to defend this in court without an attorney. Like you mentioned, the car passing inspection "MIGHT" take the onus off of you. I am not a lawyer, but this website gives other very useful information. Good luck!!!

https://www.wikihow.com/Beat-a-Window-Tint-Ticket

Go to the inspection station that you use for last inspection and they will have the instrument needed to check the visible light transmission levels (also known as VLT). Effective as of last year, NYT requires them to check as part of inspection process. Front Side Windows must allow more than 70% of light in. Back Side Windows: on Sedans must allow more than 70% of light in and on SUVs any darkness can be allowed. Do this today. I believe (but not positive in this case) fine is waived on failed safety inspection items if corrected not later than one-half hour after sunset on the third full business day, (for example your headlight burns out right before a cop passes your car — you aren't expected to jump out of the car with a spare headlight the moment it fails.)

So if they passed it last inspection must be ok and they should back you up. If they passed it and it is not ok they risk big fine on their license to inspect. My guy has a letter on the wall from NYS stating the law and the big fine and the words "SO PLEASE DON'T ASK" that he wrote across the letter with a marker.

Also, as they don't have a calibrated eyeballs, the cop is supposed to have and use the instrument when he gives you the ticket. The cop should be able to prove the instrument is properly calibrated to the court.

The law was passed to protect the cop when approaching your car so he can see inside. Note that the tinting has 2X the effect on someone looking in but only 1X the effect on someone inside looking out.

Good luck - would be a shame to waste good money paying a fine that could be put to much better use paying a hooker.

Ps. I didn't see (or read ) mugi's post above until after I posted this. Best to read it.

Thanks guys! Cop had no instrument at all. I didn't want to be a dick and ask how can you tell it is too dark?? (maybe i should have)Once he took my lic and reg and had it for like 15 minutes i knew i was getting a ticket

Thanks guys! Cop had no instrument at all. I didn't want to be a dick and ask how can you tell it is too dark?? (maybe i should have)Once he took my lic and reg and had it for like 15 minutes i knew i was getting a ticket
The cop would probably have said "Training and experience" so it would have been a mistake to phrase it that way IMHO. However, if you had read the posts here (obviously they are after the fact) it would have been perfectly ok, IMHO, to ask the Officer, "Officer, in your opinion what is the visible light transmission levels of the glass. This is how I bought the car"

May have helped.
However, my take on this is he wanted you to know that you weren't welcome in this area.

The cop would probably have said "Training and experience" so it would have been a mistake to phrase it that way IMHO. However, if you had read the posts here (obviously they are after the fact) it would have been perfectly ok, IMHO, to ask the Officer, "Officer, in your opinion what is the visible light transmission levels of the glass. This is how I bought the car"

May have helped.
However, my take on this is he wanted you to know that you weren't welcome in this area.
it was 2 blocks from my house

it was 2 blocks from my house
Looks to me that something else has to be going on here and you need to protect yourself.
You need to have the visible light transmission percentage (VLT%) at the last place you had your car inspected. Tell them what happened and if they passed your car they need to stand by their inspection (its not like it passed when they tested it and it got darker by itself since then). If it passes get 2 copies of the test report, one to bring to court in case they want to keep it and one to keep in your car to show the cop if he stops you again. If it fails VLT% you need to either get rid of the car or change the glass. In either case beware that the cop may stop you again and you can get another ticket — this can become expensive.

You also need to find out why the cop gave you the ticket. Be real here and don't just say the cop was being a prick (they really have better things to do). Try and figure out if there is something about your car that fits an undesirable profile. It may be that the cop is confusing you or your car with someone else who got away or he was told to be on the lookout for — not much you can do about that other than get the proof that it passed or fix the glass if it didn't.
Good luck.

my car is nothing special 2005 Chevy with 150,000 miles on it. cop just told me that it was for their protection,being able to look inside when approaching.Not going to get rid of the car ...that is ridiculous.I haven't been pulled over and/or received a ticket in over 20 yrs. Cops just looking to bust chops on a boring weeknight I guess. Not a big deal for me...I will fight it and pay the fee if i lose.Just wanted to get some opinions on it that's all.

my car is nothing special 2005 Chevy with 150,000 miles on it. cop just told me that it was for their protection,being able to look inside when approaching.Not going to get rid of the car ...that is ridiculous.I haven't been pulled over and/or received a ticket in over 20 yrs. Cops just looking to bust chops on a boring weeknight I guess. Not a big deal for me...I will fight it and pay the fee if i lose.Just wanted to get some opinions on it that's all.
The only issue I see is if you lose the same cop can give you another identical ticket again. Don't know if points are assign for this but can get expensive.

no points i heard ranges from $30-up to 150.The officer was very young and female(if that matters). She was actually pretty nice about it....but not nice enough to let me go lol

Do shops give you a decent deal if I ask them to remove existing tint and replace it with something "legal". I have no idea how much it is or where to go