Only Commit One Crime at a Time

Plead not guilty and either fight it or plea bargain.
MY SO got a 43 in a 30 right after she pulled off of SS onto Wantagh ave. Went to court and settled on broken tail light — same fine, no points.

I got a speeding ticket doing 69 in a 65 on NYthruway on a tues night around 10:30pm (when the cop came onto the hwy with lights flashing I actually thought he was going to an emergency way ahead as I was the only car in sight.) Was in the couple mile section that passes thru New Paltz (and enforced by New Paltz village PD in Village PD cruisers ). Got it changed to broken speedometer and, shocked, shocked, same fine but no points and check payable to New Paltz Village Court.

Nah, it ain't about the money — it's about public safety.

Oh I forgot to mention that he said that "I could put the back plate in the front and front in the back"I told him ok gimme 5 minutes and i will do it right now in front of you .he said"sorry it's too late now" he was a dick
I had a pair of the white NYS plates, like forever, and the paint started peeling off some of the numbers (I'm not kidding — I did nothing to cause this). So I got new yellow plates (had to pay fee for this) as I take the only do one crime at a time rule seriously.

Also, if you have one of those license plate frames, like the ones a dealer puts on your car so he can get free advertising, technically if they overlap any writing e.g. EMPIRE STATE, NEW YORK , even just slightly, it is a violation. Also there can be nothing covering the plate such as a clear plastic cover or a shiny coating.

Personally, when I get a new car I remove the frames and cheap screws (regular ones rust and plastic one crack and fail), toss them and replace the screws with stainless steel ones (I still reuse the same ones from decades ago) to remount the unframed plates. Takes all of a minute.

the new yellow ones i have seem to have some sort of film on them.the film in the back look like it started peeling so 1/2 looked different than the other 1/2. but i honestly didn't do anything to cover it up on purpose

The law says and knowingly - I would plead not guilty. Also, I would go to the DAs office immediately and request (both orally and in writing) that they provide you with a copy of any video of the dash cam or officer's cam if they exist. Also are there any traffic cams in the area?

Definately all about the money.when i went to court to fight my window tint(i had it taken off) i had receipt from shop that it was taken off and pics and they didnt even look at them.Plead to a parking violation $65 and $55 surcharge.The surcharge is what ticks me off. As i was sitting there almost everyone there was taking a plea of not guilty and moving violations etc with 0 pints pled down to parking ticket BUT still gotta pay $$.so they don't give a crap about not giving you points but damn sure they are gonna get their money!!

......so they don't give a crap about not giving you points but damn sure they are gonna get their money!!
The reason they "don't give a crap about not giving you points " is there is no money in it for them. As you probably know, you should give a crap about points as your increase in car insurance premiums can dwarf the one time $65 and $55 to the county for several years. The points aspect is a great negotiating tactic for them as it only involves other people's money, your and the insurance company.

Or the DA will say you can hire an attorney . They have you by the balls and they know it
You can represent yourself — this ain't a homicide and the DA knows that too. Many times the cop doesn't show up although they can always postpone it and hope he shows up next time the judge doesn't need BS case filling up his docket. I know one guy whose case got thrown out because cop didn't show and when DA tried to postpone guy said "Your honor, I'm here to be heard and I took a day off from work". Also I had a case thrown out because of a mistake on the ticket and ADA took too long flailing around looking for the right charge It was hitchhiking — I picked up a hitchhiker (yeah sure right she was just a hitchhiker) and the DF cop put down the law as if I was hitchhiking.

Scour that ticket with a meticulous gaze. One mistake by the police officer and "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit." (RIP Johnnie Cochran) When appearing in court, Judges love to see your contrite and very humble demeanor. (It reinforces their ego that you acknowledge that they are a superior power.) Put on your case in a very polite yet firm manner with total conviction. Your positivity is contagious. Have a good summation stating your main points possibly producing a simple record that you can get from the automatic machine in the DMV showing your DMV record for the last three years. If you are clean it is further evidence that you are a law-abiding citizen. (a ten year or more record can be obtained via forms to Albany but takes more time and if your past is riddled with offences it works against you. But if you are clean, it shows you as a stellar citizen and you can reinforce to the Judge your impeccability.)

Even on my worst day, when I was totally not on my game and my acting skills were non-existent, the mere fact that I missed a day of work and showed up to defend myself, an underdog against "the mighty system," and having poor evidence and also making the mistake of not making myself likable, the Judge was willing to give me reduced points and a fine. They really want that "fine money" to keep their jobs and sacrificing a few points or annihilating points, they lose nothing.

Postponing once or twice could also help in hopes that the officer is a no-show. (I was set free once on a no-show.)

Sitting in court, waiting my turn, I have seen some wonderful defenses put on by non-lawyers and common street guys who may have educated themselves by a Google search and watching "People's Court," or "Judge Judy," or the like.

If you win or do well, it is really a feather in your cap and you treat yourself to a good lunch.

if you don't mind paying, the use of a lawyer is appreciated by the Judge, as the Judge himself is a lawyer and he realizes the lawyer is trying to make a living to please his client and there is a professional courtesy given for these low level offenses.

Call IAD and file a report. I have many times and they do take it seriously. It will be your word against his but at least perhaps he will think twice about ever doing it again.

Going to court for my plate issue tomorrow(post #23).I pled not guilty, and have pics of the plate.What usually goes on here at traffic court is that you plead guilty to a parking ticket and have to pay some ridiculous $$.But they say"but no points on your license". They don't give a crap about not assessing you any points they just wanna get their $$. How much tomorrow? I have no clue.

Going to court for my plate issue tomorrow(post #23).I pled not guilty, and have pics of the plate.What usually goes on here at traffic court is that you plead guilty to a parking ticket and have to pay some ridiculous $$.But they say"but no points on your license". They don't give a crap about not assessing you any points they just wanna get their $$. How much tomorrow? I have no clue.
good luck.
Some advice — dress in conservative business attire.

What also sucks is that they really don't want to hear anything you have to say.Basically they say take the plea or go to trial. so i will take the plea pay my $$ and get out of there....What if i don't accept the plea? Then they set a trial date where i can probably state my case...and lose anyways right?

What also sucks is that they really don't want to hear anything you have to say.Basically they say take the plea or go to trial. so i will take the plea pay my $$ and get out of there....What if i don't accept the plea? Then they set a trial date where i can probably state my case...and lose anyways right?
I only had one case. Went before the judge dressed in business suit. Prior to my case being called some young white guy went up before the judge with open shirt down to his belly button and large amount of bling. Judge literally told him to "get out of my court and come back when you are dressed properly. Prior to that 30 something girl was charged by Macy's of writing bad check. She said she had moved and closed account and would be happy to pay the less than 80 bucks she owed Macy's. Judge said "You wrote a bad check - I suggest you come back here with proper council to represent you."

Told my story to judge, case dismissed.

Sample size here is one - but dress respectfully, don't act like you are special and are being abused. Present a proper case and you might get off.

Some traffic courts will actually bring you before a judge right there if you don't accept a plea. You can state your case..not necessarily lose...but most likely will. It's a lot easier to pay the fine then to go through the hassle, anxiety and the possibility of a larger fine and if points are on the table the higher insurance premiums. Good luck!