On Outing Clients

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
An incident happened today that hits on some of the reasons why it is never a good idea to publicly out clients. When traveling to NYC, a lady scheduled an appointment and "took" a Paypal payment, without being able to confirm that the payment had actually been made. Although the appointment seemed to go off without a hitch, she later found out that payment had not in fact been made. So today, she posted his personal info on this and at least one other board.

Now, it turns out, that ( upon getting what is deemed to be a photo of him ), that the person who she had the session with was the often talked about "Gerald". Since "Gerald's" purported pesonal info has been posted on more than one occassion, and this info was different, we know for certain that at least one of these two sets of info is incorrect. It is however, someone's real info. It is fairly safe to say at this point, then, that personal info is being posted on the 'net which is not that of the "offender", but instead is that of some "innocent party". How would any of us feel if this happened to us ??????

The lesson I hope that folks come away with has several parts. One of these is that collecting a lot of this personal info really does not make for a "secure" transaction. Since it is so easy to either fabricate or "borrow" it, it really does not deter anyone who really has any ill intent.

The second part is that often, if someone gives this info and commits some "misdeed" anyway, there's a good chance that they don't care about you having this info because it's not really theirs anyway. As a result, one should be careful about what they do with info from these persons, since there's a really good chance you will be harming some innocent third party by disseminating it on the web.

Thirdly, as a cautionary tale to any would-be "knights in shining armour", be careful what "info" you act on. Anyone who did anything based on seeing this guy's info that was posted earlier today should feel pretty fucking stupid right now.

[Edited by slinkybender on 06-12-2001 at 02:16 PM]

I agree with avbsolutely everything...

ESPECIALLY this:
"Thirdly, as a cautionary tale to any would-be "knights in shining armour", be careful what "info" you act on. Anyone who did anything based on seeing this guy's info that was posted earlier today should feel pretty fucking stupid right now."

Right on Slinky. This whole situation is really pretty friggin scary.

MJC

I for one am alarmed and concerned at the rampant vigilantism and white-knightism on TBD and Utopia. Guys who don't have the nerve to start up a conversation with an attractive woman in a bar suddenly become Dirty Harry the moment some woman says that her feelings were hurt by a trick.

A lot of women in the biz play games. And a lot of men don't have a clue.

I would never give my personal information to any provider. In the past I have done it, to put her at ease and let her know I'm an ok guy. But for some reason the vigilantism and false accusations are way out of hand in the NYC online scene and it's just not worth the trouble.

Any woman that decides to do this for a living should know what she's getting into. If she can;'t take care of herself then she shouldn't be in it. By no means should she ever "out" anyone. client or other provider.

A snitch is a snitch is a snitch.

A little common sense goes a long way in any field of work.Too bad they don't sell common sense next to the boxes of hair dye or in the make-up aisle.

Again, my outrageous 2 cents.

MrNY

Subject to blackouts
to add my $.02 to yours...

It's really a horrible shame for us men - that when all of the blood rushes from our "big head" to our "little head," we can't think straight...

Well said, Mercy and SB !

Good posts by both SB and Mercy, although the common sense product probably deserves entire aisle unto itself such would be the demand!

--WSB

Movie

<b>The List (2000)

The Movie Channel Wed Jun 13 9:00 PM
Movies, 95 Mins.
**+ (Rated R)

After being arrested, a high-class prostitute threatens to publicize her powerful client list. Adult Situations; Language; Brief Nudity; Violence.

Cast: Madchen Amick, Ben Gazzara, Ryan O'Neal, Romano Orzari. Director(s): Syvain Guy. Producer(s): Shimon Dotan. Distribution: COL/TRI</b>

Don't get any ideas ladies ;)

pswope

One out of three
Ditto to WSB's post lauding the SB and MD posts.
Ladies,who lack common sense and good instincts would do well to utilize a business model different from the indy route.

As for sharing and obtaining info re " bad clients",there are more back channel sources for that than tourist traps in Little Italy. Thus,you really have to think carefully about using a public board as the medium for sharing info. Are you performing a public service or seeking retribution.
Finally, once you make the decision to out an alleged perp on a public board,you probably eliminate 90% of the Johns,who read that board,as prospects in the future.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Well, if the statement "Anyone who did anything based on seeing this guy's info that was posted earlier today should feel pretty fucking stupid right now" applies to you, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Unless you have something to feel guilty about. Want to tell us about it ????

MrNY

Subject to blackouts
well...

With all the talk about "outing"

and, isn't your sign-off "Tankcommander OUT !!" ?

> which you left out in your last post.........

I did do something... I alerted the administrator

and immediately posted my objections...

as for guilt, I'm a criminal with criminal tendencies, although not predatory... I blow red lights and park illegally for the sake of blowing red lights and parking illegally...Yeah, I feel guilty...

As for Out, that's my buddy ImperialPints... he's got it copyrighted so if you wanna use it, you have to pay him a royalty...

Re: I did do something... I alerted the administrator

Originally posted by Tankcommander
[...

as for guilt, I'm a criminal with criminal tendencies, although not predatory... I blow red lights and park illegally for the sake of blowing red lights and parking illegally...Yeah, I feel guilty...

And I thought I was the only one that did such things.I also take off my helmet when riding in the city,walk when it says don't walk.......Doing things just for the sake of it is just a way of letting off steam and having a little fun.
And I got sent to the shrink for this.

justme

homo economicus
I think I got to the section where he says, "Common sense is the most evenly distributed attributes," when I realized that Descartes was a far better mathmatician than philosopher (he was, of course, one of the more brilliant people to walk the Earth).

Je pense, donc je suis...

Was that a post by Pswope??? I feel almost as honored as when KS graced me with a comment on one of my musings!

--WSB