Oh my aching back....

In thinking more about when/how this all started, I've realized that the back pain began once I started my summer semester at school and ran out of time to get to the gym. I think some strengthening exercise would do me a lot of good, and my semester is over this week.

A pilates, yoga, or an abs class should be helpful. Try to get to the gym 3 times a week for a month if you can, and then see if you feel any difference.

Good luck and feel better,

jayp67

Well, those shoes I ordered are unfortunately taking forever to get to me, so in the meantime I've been taking lots of advil and doing ab strengthening exercises before I go to work. I've seen some marginal improvement, but nothing to write home about. I would definitely like to try some pilates classes soon.

I have had back pain for many years but have found many ways to deal with it. Stretching and yoga are both good suggestions. There are very specific stretches and excersizes aimed at strengthening and stretching different parts of the back. A visit with a physical therapist to learn these excersizes would be a good idea.
A good friend of mine is a belly dancer who had crippling back pain for two years. She said reading the book by John Sarno called Healing Back Pain fixed everything for her. I have heard this from other people as well.
Good posture and stretching and excersize work best for me...

Try swimming laps twice a week. It's the best, most inexpensive and easiest back treatment out there. (I speak from experience.) And it's good for you.

Try swimming laps twice a week. It's the best, most inexpensive and easiest back treatment out there. (I speak from experience.) And it's good for you.
My back issues started up again recently (from sex actually).

What i use to do to get rid of it was:

Swim, stretch and then back/abs exercises...

swimming is good b/c it strengthens and it also decompresses the area since the whole time you're in the water your not loading it in the vertical compression.

Stretch your legs as well b/c the posterior chain is...well a chain so it all is effected.

yes. I actually made a mistake. My bed is not the famous tempurpedic, but an incredible facsimile. Whatever it is, the foam pillow and mattress have definitely made me a believer.

Two things that have greatly improved my back are doin crunches while laying back on a Swiss exercise ball and using a gravity inversion table.

The ball gently reverses the curve of your spine helping to realign it, and the inversion table allows you to safely hang upside down and rest the spine completely. I use the ball every morning, and the table two or three times a week. My mattress sucks but doesn't bother me anymore.

So I did something really stupid this weekend and now I think I've fucked up my back even worse than the dancing already did. I was drunk at a pool party and decided it would be awesome to belly flop off the diving board onto a floating pool chair. Somehow when I landed my back crunched backwards really severely and now it hurts just to move. Is this something that will just get better on its own after a few days?

You know your friend S wanted to do something this weekend that would have ended with us both crashing to the floor on our heads with our groins entwined. But the cooler head prevailed.

So I did something really stupid this weekend and now I think I've fucked up my back even worse than the dancing already did. I was drunk at a pool party and decided it would be awesome to belly flop off the diving board onto a floating pool chair. Somehow when I landed my back crunched backwards really severely and now it hurts just to move. Is this something that will just get better on its own after a few days?
it should get better in a few days. Just rest more than walking and you should be ok. If you can, sleep on a really firm mattress. Also, see if you can get a soft massage on the lower back. That should ease the pain. Hopefully, the pain will subside...

Last edited:
Damn, I'm really sorry to hear that M.

I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who does stupid shit when I'm drunk though.

Feel better,

Dave