off topic...golf

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Fooled around with a Wilson Deep Red driver yesterday and was getting 20 more yards off the tee, and its legal!
Hey SB, what about those guys that carry a telescoping ball retriever, an outside the bag putter holder, covers on all their irons, a cool little organizer for tees, balls, pencil and scorecard AND one of those guaranteed chipper clubs?
take care HP

HP - I can live with all of those except -

the iron covers. Don't ask me why.

How about the 3 wood that is a beverage dispenser.

But my biggest pet peeve. It should be a law that if you don't fix your ball mark and one other you are kicked off the course. Especially on public courses. Of course if every just fixed their own you wouldn't have to fix one other.

HP: you forgot that stupid plastic tube in which you put water so that you can clean your ball by rubbing the tube's foam cover against the ball. Jay-zus!

My personal peeve is with guys who keep on their bag all of the bag tags from the different courses that they have ever played. These bozos don't realize (or care) that they make a heck of a clinking racket when they walk up behind you just as you're trying to hit a delicate shot from a tight lie to a tough pin position.

Bahuba: I was at Centennial Golf Club in Carmel, NY yesterday. Although I did not go out on the course (I was there for a Dave Pelz 1-Day short game clinic), a few of the guys said that it is an extremely good track -- well maintained, challenging, and run extremely professionally. It has outstanding practice areas and, unlike most daily fee courses, has real grass on the practice tees (i.e., no hitting from mats). It's about an hour from the Upper East Side.

I keep just 14 clubs... Or 15, now.

The other day I was looking for an "X" wedge (which I think is 64 deg.) and the salesman said, "Oh you're a Dave Pelz guy". ????. HDB maybe you can shed some light on that one.

One thing I can't live without is a brush and towel. I have this habit of shining my irons... Maybe thats a freudian thing.

HDB I will try that course.

Shining one's irons = cleaning their grooves?

Bahuba: Dave Pelz is well known for advocating the use of up to 4 wedges: PW (~48 degrees of loft), SW (~55-56 degrees), Lob Wedge (60 degrees) and X Wedge (62-64 degrees). (Some folks even carry a gap wedge of 52 degrees to fit in between the SW and PW.) Pelz believes you should use the same finesse swing from 30 to 80 yards -- the only difference is the club you use in order to control distance. At the extreme outside of the range, one could make a slightly longer backswing, but Pelz does not want you to use your hands and wrists in the swing -- distance and direction are controlled using the larger muscles of your shoulders and back.

HDB - I have played Centennial a number of times tho not recently. I started playing there the year it opened (the first 2 nines- the third was still under construction). Haven't played there in about a year. Very nice course except for the fact that walking is not allowed (or practical given the distance between some holes. Uses the tracking system in the carts. All my rounds there have moved fairly decently. 4-4 1/2 hours. Bit pricey considering I have to drive an hour but..... Some interesting holes with some straight uphill. Greens still maturing.

SB: noone knows what Dave Pelz thinks about woods because noone has ever seen Dave Pelz hit a wood. The instructors told us that Pelz suffers from very bad knees and doesn't play much anymore. I think he's a genius who has turned a fanaticism/fetish with data about golf shots into an extremely profitable and well-regarded niche business.

BTW, I've been demoing the new Taylor Made 360 driver -- it's absolutley awesome! The 360 allows me to fly the ball as far as my Titleist 975D hits it. (And don't get me started on the Pro V1 -- fuhgedaboudit!!)