NY Press

Monk
I've notice that the NY Press no longer runs provider's pictures with their ads (although there are still pictures that accompany Massage ads). The adult section now look like those found in alternative papers published in other cities. In a way, it is kind of refreshing because 90% of the pics were phony anyway and when one is bombarded by them (especially those from the asian places) you actually see nothing at all. Any thoughts?

RE newspapers

Well, it looks like venues like Craigslist will multiply, you will have to find sex on the internet, some small publications will spring up to run ads.

Last edited:
Clearly, providers still generate traffic from advertising in print, or they wouldn't bother (and the smarter providers track responses from ads -- or, at least, they used to. I remember I used to get asked "where did you see my ad" when calling). So who is reading these publications and responding to the ads, as opposed to who is reading and responding to Internet ads? Not sure. I haven't discussed this with a provider for a long time. Years ago, a provider told me that she got a more educated and more serious clients from Internet ads -- serious in the sense that her Internet clients were usually ready to book an appointment when they called. But a lot has changed since then.

As for the owners of NY Press foregoing $12K a year by banning these ads -- I don't know much about them, but I do know that Our Town, one of the other newsweeklies that they own, is a fairly conservative publication. So it wouldn't surprise me if similarly conservative politics were behind this decision. In addition, these newsweeklies constantly struggle for legitimacy in the media world. They may feel that by eliminating provider ads they'll be seen as more "serious" publications in the eyes of other advertisers and the rest of the New York news media.

I do find it somewhat amusing that NOW is claiming victory over this news. It's kind of amazing how conservative and out of touch NOW really is. If they had a clue about where most provider traffic is being generated, they wouldn't waste time with the newsweeklies, but target Internet sites instead. (Not that they'd have much luck, but at least they would come off as knowing more or less what they were talking about.)

This is an interesting topic. Over the years I have encountered a couple of independent ladies that advertise in print and on the web. Typically I found they would have two price structures, which is why they would first ask where I saw their ad whenever I called. I’d get quoted a higher fee whenever I’d say I was responding to the web ad.

What I learned is that on a per customer basis, they made more via the web referrals. Also, web referrals tended to be richer clients on average. Whereas, they would get more volume in terms of responses from print ads, and did not necessarily attract the same quality of clientele. Furthermore, some ladies had the perception that they are more exposed by web ads, which they felt attracted the attention of LE more readily than the print ads. Overall, based on my anecdotal experience, it seemed the vast majority of providers seemed more comfortable with print ads, and felt it was more anonymous. Even though it seemed less profitable than the web ads.

Now that print ads are posted on the web, I would be interested to know what the opinion of these women would be at the moment. The ones I knew were very concerned about maintaining a certain degree of anonymity, while being able to advertise their services without attracting too much undue attention by LE.

Just my thoughts on the matter…

Regards,

Pops

No one "kisses" a million bucks away

“We’re probably kissing away about a million dollars a year in revenue,” he added. “We’re not making a moral or puritanical decision. We just believe in the long-term, it’s not best for the publication.”

"Of course, it’s all about synergy these days, and publishing such adult ads in Our Town probably wouldn’t fly.

And then there’s The Press’s circulation, which Mr. Allon (Tom Allon, president and C.E.O. of Manhattan Media) estimates at between 80,000 to 103,000. Next week, that gets slashed to 50,000."

- New York Observer/August 2. 2007

I never cared for publications. It is so permanent, my doctor has magazines from 2000 in his waiting room that have ad's of agencies that have since shut down. Also if you don't want to post a number you can forget about any buisness. Years ago before the Internet NYM was king, they can make or break your buisness. The guy in charge of ad's was a real asshole and you had to kiss his ass to get a spot in thier super expensive ad section. Since the Internet the day of the publications are over. There are also a few free but little known Internet sites other then CL an Indy can advertise in as long as expectations are low. In my opionion UG is the best, according to my records I have had 8-10 times the success here than Eros and pretty much equal to CL (plus not having the hassle explaining what I am all about).

I am not sure if this is an ISO question but what publications do you guys gravitate towards? My BR friend used to advertise in the press but doesn't know where to go now. I am out of the loop and suggested UG but she is intimated by an interactive board. Thanks in advance for any input.

What is to be feared here? We're a friendly community :) Personally, I goto a lot of providers based on reviews on these boards. If she was interested in the Press, then place an ad in the Village Voice. Now and then, late at night I use CL.

What is to be feared here? We're a friendly community :) Personally, I goto a lot of providers based on reviews on these boards. If she was interested in the Press, then place an ad in the Village Voice. Now and then, late at night I use CL.

You would be surprised how intimidating it can be to put yourself out there to be judged, rated, reviewed. If you wonder why she is weary of advertising here go to my very first response on my thread to understand. Many providers do not want to be reviewed whether it's good or bad. Every time I see a new review my heart is in my throat, it's not easy to handle for alot of people. I still prefer that than going in a publication.

Everyone adopts a different marketing strategy based on a variety of considerations, some of them personal/psychological (as FE describes), some business-related. Certainly, flirting on the boards is an inexpensive way to attract attention, screen clients and build up a clientele. But it takes lots of time and a tough constitution. For others, it's easier to simply take out an ad in a publication, whether a classified NY Mag-style ad, or a display ad in the back of the Village Voice (and, yes, I know both pubs accept both types of ads -- this was just shorthand for illustrative purposes), or an online ad in Eros, CityVibe, etc. It also depends on what type of market you're targeting. Others, still, prefer to remain entirely UTR, relying strictly on word of mouth to build their business.

There are pros and cons to each approach. If you want an appointment every hour, eight hours a day, word of mouth might not fulfill your business plan fast enough. On the other hand, if you're a high-end independent provider, word of mouth might be just the ticket.

This industry is diverse and multifaceted. There's no "one-size-fits-all" answer.