NHL Hockey

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I'm not going to write that "I grew up around these players", but I was close enough. My father, on the other hand, travelled with the New York Giants (baseball) a few weeks every summer in the early 50s (he was a Dodger fan). Perhaps it was in grained in me by him that these guys are no different that anyone. It's also the reason I don't ask for autographs...

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
And I am sure that lightweight will have responded by now before he reads this post: brother, I respect you and like you and would love to have a beer with you. Those were heat of the moment posts yesterday. I know you were just trying to get under my skin. Anyone who watched Bossy for as long as you did knows he was not a "nancy".

And I am sure that lightweight will have responded by now before he reads this post: brother, I respect you and like you and would love to have a beer with you. Those were heat of the moment posts yesterday. I know you were just trying to get under my skin. Anyone who watched Bossy for as long as you did knows he was not a "nancy".
I used to have an old hockey fights tape in college. It belonged to my roommate and was basically a compilation of newsclips from a Philly station featuring fight after fight, although whoever put it together must have had the hots for Mike Hoyda. Anyway, there was a Bossy scrap buried on there from the mid 70s. It wasn't long or remotedly exciting, but he stood up for himself.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Mike Hoyda. Man, I think he actually went toe to toe with Gillies and then, at the age of 5 or 6, my father and I went to a Philly-Isles game at the Coliseum and there was a bench clearing brawl during warm ups. You know what? That memory is bigger than the Isles winning in '81 or '83 and the Mets winning in '86. What a wonderful time...

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
A few thoughts...

Great to see the Islanders are playing a legit enforcer. Mitch Fritz went toe to toe tonight and may even have wom a decision with Laraque tonight. Laraque is the toughest guy in the league. (Why Milbury gave up on Goddard who takes a regular shift on Calgary's 4th line is beyond me....)

This league needs more fighting. Only real fans understand that. And the league doesn't cater to the real fans...

And another thing, great "3rd Jerseys". Those old Rag jersey's (diagonal Ranger on the front) should be worn all the time too. Nothing was worse than the "fisherman", but "Lady Liberty" was completely gay.

OK...
Gavy

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
And the mediocre goalie that is Rick DiPietro -- an asshole of a person according to my sources -- is out for 4-6 weeks. Got his knee scoped today. Now that was a great contract. Fucking Charles Wang.

Bossy was in the best shape of anyone on that team. Could probably still kick your ass today. He fought once, and decided never to do it again. Pussy? Try playing five years with a bad back like he did.

And for anyone to tell me that Lemieux is a pussy, hackey player isn't really a hockey fan or just doesn't know the sport. That's OK. Growing up having to watch Pierre LaRouche and Ron Dugay must have been fun.

Gavy
They wore better jeans than anyone on the Islanders.

Yeah, Potvin's Cups...we know. And that was a clean hit, by the way. Denis (pronouncing it "Denny") wasn't the cleanest guy on the ice...but his hip chacks were wonderful and that hit was pretty mild. Ulf got his skate caught in the plastic molding around the board and theice.

Gavy
It was not a clean hit. It was a really late him.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
And the mediocre goalie that is Rick DiPietro -- an asshole of a person according to my sources -- is out for 4-6 weeks. Got his knee scoped today. Now that was a great contract. Fucking Charles Wang.
Joey MacDonald and Yans Danis are the goalies for the next two months. This should put the Islanders in good shape for a chance at the #1 pick in the draft. Neither of these guys are any good, but the funny thing is, this is how goalies become goalies in the league...they get the opportunity. A guy like Olaf Kolzig came out of nowhere in Washington. Dominic Hasek flopped all over the ice in Chicago. Those guys you never expect with the intersting names sometimes come out of nowhere.

Smart money says that neither of the guys on the Isles are any good. But, they aren't replacing Bill Smith, so, who knows?

By the way, this Islander team is really, really bad. The defense is terrible. Campoli and Gervais can play in this league. I like Gervais a lot, but as a 6th defenseman. Andy Sutton? How the hell did he last a year with Lou in Jersey? Get this guy out of here...

Gavy

LOL, that was funny. And the Bossy stuff is just there to upset me, but watching those Rags teams for years, it's ok that you are so jealous. My first year of high school, I made our hockey team. I sucked. Was the smallest guy on the team. Team got disbanded after that year. Man, the NHL could have used a 5'7" slow defenseman like me. Their loss...
OLO, Of coarse that is why I posted it. All in good fun. Yes, it was jelously. Hey, I have my wife's family, before we were married, had season tics to Islanders for so many years. I went to 35 games a yr plus playoffs and cup games. I played at the time so it was great to see great hockey by a great team. I could not root for them but never rooted agsainst them either as I would not have been a dick while there. My father in law made sure I knew that he has known the other ticket holders for yrs and do not embarass him when I am there. I was at all the cup games.

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I can remember going to games in the 70s. I remember Westfall, Billy Harris and Pat Price on those teams. I would say I went to about 5 games a year until 1980. My father's best friend died of a heart attack that summer, so I started going to playoff games the next year. Wow, I wish I was a little older than 8 and 10 when I was at those Cup games in '81 and '83. Just so I appreciated it more. Hell, the Mets won in '86 and I was 13. I haven't rooted for a championship team in 22 years. I forget what it feels like...

I have probably seen the Islanders lose more than win, that's how bad the 90s were. Wow, who would have thought that.

I can remember going to games in the 70s. I remember Westfall, Billy Harris and Pat Price on those teams. I would say I went to about 5 games a year until 1980. My father's best friend died of a heart attack that summer, so I started going to playoff games the next year. Wow, I wish I was a little older than 8 and 10 when I was at those Cup games in '81 and '83. Just so I appreciated it more. Hell, the Mets won in '86 and I was 13. I haven't rooted for a championship team in 22 years. I forget what it feels like...

I have probably seen the Islanders lose more than win, that's how bad the 90s were. Wow, who would have thought that.
They hired Neil Smith. They should have shut up, let him run team and he would have had them back to winning. Just my thought.

They were just incredible.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
They hired Neil Smith. They should have shut up, let him run team and he would have had them back to winning. Just my thought.
Anybody that wins a Cup with the Manhattan franchise, after all those long years, gets an A+ in how to operate a team. Smith did make some poor decisions afterwards, but one would hope that given the respect he deserved, he would have been able to make the right moves on Long Island.

I was excited when they hired Smith and just shaking my head after the debacle that followed. Fucking ridiculous...

Anybody that wins a Cup with the Manhattan franchise, after all those long years, gets an A+ in how to operate a team. Smith did make some poor decisions afterwards, but one would hope that given the respect he deserved, he would have been able to make the right moves on Long Island.

I was excited when they hired Smith and just shaking my head after the debacle that followed. Fucking ridiculous...
I think he would have been great there. He started as a scout for the Islanders when he was young.

Brodeur out for 3-4 months; no truth to rumor that he is going to a fat farm

Martin Brodeur's assault on the record book will be put on hold as the Devils' goalkeeper will undergo elbow surgery and will be out of the lineup for up to four months.

''This Thursday morning, Martin Brodeur will undergo surgery to repair the distal bicep in the left elbow," Devils president, CEO and general manager Lou Lamriello said in a statement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My two cents -- this can kill the devils, unless they can hang onto a 7 or 8 spot until he comes back. While I don't think he is quite as good as he once was, Brodeur at 95% is most goalies at 130%