NHL Hockey

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Mitch Fritz...

Why isn't this guy dressed regularly? All the kids (Okposo, Neilsen and others) are out or have been out of the lineup regularly. The vets are playing. Why not let Mitch Fritz dress every night?

They got pushed around at home by the Thrashers of all teams last night.

Gavy

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Got to talk to my source on this one...

I've been around the rink and in LI hockey circles for over 30 years. You guys definitely know or have heard of my father. I got a lot of stories. But this latest one about what a duecsh bag Henrick Lundqvist is will make you shake your head.

You might expect his behavior from a guy from another sports league, but an NHLer? I'll post it when I get it. And I could care less about who he plays for, a prick is a prick. And Mr. Lundqvist definitely falls into that category.

Gavy

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Nassau Coliseum

The only thing good about the Coliseum is the sightlines are the best in the league. But going to a game at that place is depressing.

First, the Coliseum at one point had the 2nd best ice in the league. Now, the puck bounces all over the place. The Coliseum ice makes the Garden ice look good. (Note that the Garden has events the "all the time" and the ice has to be covered and exposed sometimes 3 or 4 times a week. That's an excuse for not so perfect ice.)

Second, the corridor. Man, there were 7000 people there last night and it's still a hassle in the bathroom or consession lines or simply walking outside during the intermission.

Third, the music between stopages. Bring back the pipe organ.

Fourth, the amount of people that just don't know what the hell is going on on the ice.

Man, I could go on and on, but there is a serious need for a new building and a change of culture at the Nassau Coliseum.

Gavy

I lived at the Coliseum in the 80s, I loved it. The islanders rocked (still have my plaques of the dynasty) ... I thought it was unbeatable. After many years of not being at the Coliseum I saw Ozzy doing a concert there and wow, was I let down by the Coliseum (and the show, dont even get me started). I saw a game there the following winter after not seeing one for many years, wow was I let down. I totally agree.. Islanders need to find a new building to play in. Nothing beats MSG (too bad the wrong team plays there).

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Avery is hated...

He is hated by teammates, coaches, fans. The suspension of 6 games looks bad for the league however. The NHL should have released a list of offenses that he has done so people (non-NHL people) understand why he got the penalty that he did.

Have you read the comments the Stars have made about him? Marty Turco has been leading the charge to get rid of him since way before this incident.

Gavy

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I've been around the rink and in LI hockey circles for over 30 years. You guys definitely know or have heard of my father. I got a lot of stories. But this latest one about what a duecsh bag Henrick Lundqvist is will make you shake your head.

You might expect his behavior from a guy from another sports league, but an NHLer? I'll post it when I get it. And I could care less about who he plays for, a prick is a prick. And Mr. Lundqvist definitely falls into that category.
I can't get in touch with my man at the Daily News, but one thing that we all saw was Lundqvist pull himself from the game after he gave up 5 goals a few weeks ago. He didn't wait for the coach to pull him, just skated to the bench.

A lot of people in Canada made note of that. Renney supposedly addressed it, but Lundqvist has prima dona status with Sather right now and Renney's hands are tied.

Be back when I get confirmation on the Lundqvist story.

Gavy

Gavy
Love ya Gavy but Everyone seems to love this kid. I don't care what anyone says, this kid is great any easy to root for. And in no way a prick.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Love ya Gavy but Everyone seems to love this kid. I don't care what anyone says, this kid is great any easy to root for. And in no way a prick.
If you are talking about the fans, perhaps, but they have no idea what a horror show he supposedly is to deal with Renney can't stand him and Jagr had words with him last year. Has the who "prima donna" thing down pat.

It's cool if you like to read Ranger press releases, but all the 411 on the inside has him as a complete pain in the ass. If we ever meet, I'll let you know who my sources are. Pretty decent ones I'm sure you'd say and most definitely not my Isles sources.

Gavy

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Remember, you can root for a prick if he helps you win, like Lundqvist has been doing. And finding out shit about people that you like can be disturbing. But you kind of glossed over the fact that he showed Renney up and pulled himself out of the game last month. That was all over Canada. And he isn't a 22 year old kid pulling that shit. A complete taboo in sport to show up the coach. He's a bad actor.

If you are talking about the fans, perhaps, but they have no idea what a horror show he supposedly is to deal with Renney can't stand him and Jagr had words with him last year. Has the who "prima donna" thing down pat.

It's cool if you like to read Ranger press releases, but all the 411 on the inside has him as a complete pain in the ass. If we ever meet, I'll let you know who my sources are. Pretty decent ones I'm sure you'd say and most definitely not my Isles sources.

Gavy
That is fair enough. I will hold judgement til them.

Tom Renney has just been fired along with his top Assistant coach. The Rangers are in a tailspin and Renney took the fall. No new coach has been named yet. I wonder if Sather will go behind the bench for the regular rest of the season.

Tom Renney has just been fired along with his top Assistant coach. The Rangers are in a tailspin and Renney took the fall. No new coach has been named yet. I wonder if Sather will go behind the bench for the regular rest of the season.
tortorella is in and about as different a personality behind the bench as you can get. unfortuntely, most of the problem was on the bench and not behind it. that being said while renney seemed like a class act, i am not sorry to see him go.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Average Attendance figures through yesterdays games...

Rangers - 18,000

Devils - 15,000

Islanders - 12,500

Now these are "tickets sold". I would say the Isles are playing to about 10,000 a night.

But with these numbers, the three teams in the market are on pace to draw 1,885,500 paying customers this year. We may be diehards, but it's enough of an arguement to keep three teams in the market. And if the Islanders were any good the last 20 years, they'd be sold out every night.

Gavy

I'd question the source of your source on those Devils figures. They can't give tickets away on fucking milk cartons. Something like 20% of those tickets sold for all three are corporate and go empty more times than not. The Rangers might be as much as 30-35% corp. The Ranger fill their corp seats for a variety of obvious reasons the other two can't.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I'd question the source of your source on those Devils figures. They can't give tickets away on fucking milk cartons. Something like 20% of those tickets sold for all three are corporate and go empty more times than not. The Rangers might be as much as 30-35% corp. The Ranger fill their corp seats for a variety of obvious reasons the other two can't.
Tickets sold. Bullshit figures, perhaps, but the tickets are sold.