New York Oyster/Fish Shacks

I was just reading up on the pedigree of Pearl Oyster Bar, Mary's Fish Camp and Ed's Lobster Shack. The latter two were started by disgruntled chefs from Pearl. There's also Fish and the Mermaid Inn, that I know of, which aren't "related," although they offer similar menus. All provide more or less the same type of corny New England oyster bar/fish shack type of experience, at not so corny New York prices -- that said, Pearl is still the best (although you do have to wait for one hour plus for a table on the weekends).

Anyone know of any other reliable, similarly-styled places? They remind me of the old "One Fish, Two Fish" chain of fish restaurants on the Upper East Side from back in the 80s. Only these are much better.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
a) I don't think Mermaid Inn fits in as a fish shack or oyster bar.
b) I could have sworn one of those places was atill open in teh 60's on teh East side of 1st Ave because Ozzy & I ate there one night when the girls were all staying in that weekly rental place on teh corner of Score's East.
c) Also with Ozzy, ASSCon owner and I was a Brazillian model at this place on 9th Ave between 23rd and 24th that I thouight was actually called Fish Shack or something like that.
d) Blue Water Grill? Mare? The Lobster Place? Urban Lobster (delivery only)? City Crab? Live Bait?

I remember "c" (mostly because of that Brazilian), but I can't recall the name. Dumpy kind of place with plain wooden almost picnic like tables. Real shabby decor, kind of reminded me of the old clam shacks near Rockaway Playland.

I once mentioned a restaurant called “Master Buffet” in Rockville Centre, LI where you can eat all the clams on the half shell, mussels and jumbo shrimp you want for about $12. I also mentioned that this place also had jumbo crab legs, as well as sushi. I mentioned that this place was nothing fancy, a family restaurant.

Several UG folks got down on me because they said that this was the typical UG cheap-Charlie type of place. Don’t kill me; I’m just the messenger.

I know it's not a fish shack but I always get the best tasting Blue Point oysters from Legal Seafood. I have a hard time eating them at other places since having them at LS.

a) I don't think Mermaid Inn fits in as a fish shack or oyster bar.
If you compare the menus of all the places I mentioned, it's similar. It has the lobster roll, the crab cakes, etc. And those "community" tables in the back room are certainly very "shack"-like. I read a piece a couple of years ago saying that they had modeled it after Pearl.

I could have sworn one of those places was atill open in teh 60's on teh East side of 1st Ave because Ozzy & I ate there one night when the girls were all staying in that weekly rental place on the corner of Score's East.
If it still exists, I'd love to know (if only for nostalgic reasons).

Blue Water Grill? Mare? The Lobster Place? Urban Lobster (delivery only)? City Crab? Live Bait?
Well, Blue Water Grill and City Crab are a lot more upscale (I like eating at the bar at City Crag — it has a great vibe when it's hopping). Live Bait is mostly creole, isn't it? Haven't been there for years. Don't know the other two — are they any good?

Slinky Bender

There used to be this bar which also had a raw bar on 10th Ave around 28th St on the West side of the street (I think the name started with a D?). What happened to that? (In fact the owners of that were the one's who opened the Fish Shack on 9th I alluded to in an earlier post)

There was a place on 10th Ave called Bongo that had oysters and fried stuff, served on trays.

The Oyster Bar in Grand Central is different than the New England style places being discussed here (Mary's and Pearl's) but offers a similar menu.

There's a place out on Flatbush Avenue, near the Toys R Us, called Nick's where you can eat on the water. There's another place or two near it, including Jordan's Lobster Dock.

Other than that, take a trip to CT or Long Island.

Slinky Bender

What is/was the name of the place on Long Beach Road on the Oceanside side of the Long Beach Bridge? (The truck/stand, not Jordan Lobster Farms)