New Music you've come to appreciate

Still listen to rock, alternative, and 'loud' upbeat music but i've noticed that i've started to appreciate classical music. It's still early but, i might be starting to turn the page to middle age (btw, that rhymed too lol).

Last edited:
DK and Sade

Not exactly new anymore, but Diana Krall-beautiful, elegant, sexy, kewl, exquisite choice of material and accompanists-the real deal and Canadian to boot. Wonderful mood music for a romantic evening in or cranked up with the windows down in transit on a sultry summer nite-believe it or not one's coming. Almost makes me forget about how much i love Sade for all the same reasons.

pswope

One out of three
this might be the best week-end for live music in NY in a long time

Buddy Guy (on 'guyland w/ Los lobos)
Jazz festival in NYC (Wayne Shorter, Cedar Walton et al)
Mark Turner at Smoke
Isaac Hayes at BB kings
Van Morrison(one of greatest white singers but unpredictable in concert) and Solomon Burke(will raise the bar for van)
BB King at BB Kings (deserved icon)
Johnny Winter(he's still alive) & James Cotton-free at CP Summerstage

With White Stripes, Mum and Radiohead as my recommendations, I have to believe there's an age discrepancy of some kind between myself and the lot of you. Van Morrison? What could be compelling about seeing him in concert at this point in his career? Keep in mind, I'm a tremendous fan of his.

Re: this might be the best week-end for live music in NY in a long time

Originally posted by pswope
Buddy Guy (on 'guyland w/ Los lobos)
Mark Turner at Smoke
Isaac Hayes at BB kings
Van Morrison(one of greatest white singers but unpredictable in concert) and Solomon Burke(will raise the bar for van)
BB King at BB Kings (deserved icon)
Johnny Winter(he's still alive) & James Cotton-free at CP Summerstage
Now, this is MUSIC ! Los Lobos are one of the hottest, most innovative bands around . I always felt that they were not more popular with the public because of their lack of glamour and sex appeal.

Buddy Guy is one the hottest gee-tar players EVER, and his wild string bends make my knees quiver.

And Van the Man is amazing. Never seen him live due to his known unpredictability, but his 1974 live album "It's Too Late to Stop Now" is a must have !!!

Re: this might be the best week-end for live music in NY in a long time

Originally posted by pswope

i am really digging the jazz festival. i have tickets for:

June 20:the movie music of spike lee with musiq, cassandra wilson, angie stone

June 23: toshiko Akiyoshi Jazz Orchestra (should be interesting)

June 24: Tethered Moon

June 27: India.Arie (it was between her and Dave Brubeck)

June 28: Wayne Shorter Quartet with Herbie Hancock & Savion Glover

looking forward to hear wayne shorter one of my favorites.

i love new york summers. so much to do and enjoy

True, I guess I was just young and dumb enough to love the Sex Pistols and hate everything before them. Didn't that come with the territory?

I've slowly been coming around to the Van Morrisons of the world, but I skipped the Pistols on their last tour so I can't see the appeal of seeing these other old guys when there's so much great new music.

pswope

One out of three
What makes this Van concert intriguing is the pairing w/ Solomon Burke(see e.g. his live in SF album). The old master may help bring out the best in Van's chops in a long time.

Advanced age doesn't necessarily mean irrelevant or stodgy. Brother Isley's new album, even though horribly overproduced by R. Kelly shows him in as strong a voice as I when I saw him playing in clubs in Cincinnati 30 years ago.

I cringed when I read my post containing the words "old guys". Sorry about that.

I work closely with the music industry, and I often find myself in arguments with folks about new bands. Invariably, the music of one's youth is the "best music there ever was" or something along those lines. In other words, music now is always never as good as it used to be. I get so frustrated with that thinking, and I'm always on guard against it (even when it's not necessary). The attitude of older folks (meaning including people my age) toward hip-hop is especially revolting to me.

Someone said to me the other day, "Why can't they make another James Taylor?" How do you not pummel a man after a statement like that?

Originally posted by sod
Someone said to me the other day, "Why can't they make another James Taylor?" How do you not pummel a man after a statement like that?
Would you rather have him say "Why can't they make another Engelbert Humperdinck or Tom Jones?"

I'm reminded of the Denis Leary line where he discusses the lawsuit filed against Judas Priest when that kid committed suicide: "Do I get to sue Dan Fogelberg for turning me into a pussy in the 70s?"

Speaking of the 70s, the new Zeppelin live CDs are unreal. Anyone having reservations about purchasing them can rest easy. It exposes Song Remains the Same for the half-assed compilation is really was.

Morelenbaum/Sakamoto - recordings of Tom Jobim's music; they'll be at Joe's Pub on Sun 6/15. 2 discs out. Beautifully done.

Luciana Souza - at the Jazz Standard this week as part of JVC. Poetic music. Go for the barbecue alone.

Brasilian, of course.

Last edited:
Originally posted by sod
True, I guess I was just young and dumb enough to love the Sex Pistols and hate everything before them. Didn't that come with the territory?

I've slowly been coming around to the Van Morrisons of the world, but I skipped the Pistols on their last tour so I can't see the appeal of seeing these other old guys when there's so much great new music.
that's because a lot of music fans subscribe to a "Cult of Youth", and sadly, older artists are thrown onto the slag heap. Many times these are great artists still, but they can't get heard. Even Bruce Springsteen received relatively little airplay for the brilliant "The rising" album because a lot of stations won't play somebody over 40.
While I admit there's a lot of great new music being made, I do also think that the talent bar was set a bit higher in the 60's and 70's, even the early 80's. There will never be another Aretha, or james Brown, or Elvis , or Stones, or even Led Zep