"Monster"

Was her acting performance as good as the critics on TV say? I usually like her (acting wise; I always like to look at her), but she was beyond terrible in The Italian Job.

Originally posted by Spaz Medicine
(acting wise; I always like to look at her)
that was her problem i guess. she was pretty good, very dykey, but the script sucked. there are a couple of other movies about aileen wuornos. one a documentary and one like a tv movie. both semi worthwhile. just confirms florida is one big swamp.

Last edited:
Yeah, I understood what you meant.

I don't think I could get mylself to go see a movie starring Charlize Theron when she looked like that anyways. I guess it'll have to wait until it makes it to DVD. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Spaz Medicine
Was her acting performance as good as the critics on TV say? I usually like her (acting wise; I always like to look at her), but she was beyond terrible in The Italian Job.
Her career peaked during that catfight with Teri Hatcher.

Actuality, or the horrible habit we have in this country for not taking pretty* women seriously.

*defined, in this case, as cute, pixyish or "Barbie" like.

Just got back from seeing the movie this afternoon, and just had to say it was an awesome performance by Charlize Theron. She's to be congratulated. She also had to put on 30 (real) lbs for the part.

I felt sorry for the character during the first half of the movie and could really understand (especially after the first one) why she went ahead and started killing these guys, and just got wrapped up into it.

Does anyone recall why the Selby character (her 18 yo lover) had a broken arm in the beginning? Why was that important in the movie?

Originally posted by jp1064
Does anyone recall why the Selby character (her 18 yo lover) had a broken arm in the beginning? Why was that important in the movie?
I don't think it's important how she broke it, but rather, because of it she wasn't able to get a job in Florida and was going to have to return to her father's house. The threat of being separated from her was the plot pivot on which Lee began killing intentionally (after attempting to start hooking again, and flashbacking to the rape that led to the first murder), as a means of providing money for them to stay together...

Theron's performance is amazing...

(A note to providers: don't make my mistake and go see this movie by yourself. Big mistake. I also wouldn't recommend seeing it with someone who doesn't know what you do. No matter how little you may have in common with Wuornos, there are a couple of moments that just come at you like a fist...)