Mexican Coke in NYC??? Made with real sugar not corn syrup!

It's all about weight.

Plastic (with all the environmental protections required) really isn't cheaper to produce, but when it comes to shipping and handling, glass requires double the man power.

There's also enough Americans to make the bottle return work (when they're made of plastic).... but try finding a homeless guy strong enough to haul around a large garbage bag full of bottles.

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
It's all about weight.

Plastic (with all the environmental protections required) really isn't cheaper to produce, but when it comes to shipping and handling, glass requires double the man power.
Why not roll out plastic in Latin America (where, presumably, environmental costs are far less expensive)?

Why not roll out plastic in Latin America (where, presumably, environmental costs are far less expensive)?
Yeah I'm wondering this too. I figured the plastic/glass bottle thing had something to do with costs (doesnt everything) but cant put my finger on the disparity in the different markets. Here I'd say the ratio is 95%-5% plastic to glass and in Latin America, at least the places I've seen, its about two-thirds glass, one-third plastic.

What Ozzy and Queue said makes sense for the US market but the only thing i can think of down there is that the glass bottles are made locally thus the shipping costs (and labor costs) are obviously much less. Also less chance for breaking the glass if it doesnt have to be shipped too far.

justme

homo economicus
They also don't pay Teamsters salaries to ship the glass products in LA.
It's amazing to think that the difference in salaries for deliver drivers is what it takes to move to an entirely different storage material. Industrial cost management is amazing.

Anybody hear about this story yet? The organization that markets HFCS wants to change its name to "corn sugar" lolololol. A-holes!! The bottom line again for me is not from any nutritional standpoint (as Franca I think said, when I make the decision to drink soda I already know its not the best thing from a nutritional aspect) its that real sugar just tastes better. Changing HFCS's name to corn sugar is not going to change that.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39169416/?GT1=43001

...The organization that markets HFCS wants to change its name to "corn sugar" lolololol. A-holes!! ...
Actually it's a great marketing ploy...and done often especially after a product or service is tainted or just a lousy name....

Valujet ------> AirTran
Patagonian Toothfish ------> Chilean Seabass
Barack Hussein Obama ------> Barack Obama

Last edited:
I don't know if the strict FDA laws will allow that. Sort of like these low fat mayonaise' that can't be called "mayo" cause they need to have certain amount or % of ingredients, so they have call it sandwich spread, salad dressing or something.

That's the point. I had to google it to find out.

Your implication that President Obama is hiding something by not using his middle name is false. McCain doesn't use his, either.

Last edited:
In other words, KEEP THE MORONIC POLITICS OUT OF THE "FOOD AND WINE" SECTION.

(That goes for moronic leftist politics as well as moronic wingnut politics.)

Last edited: