Mexican Coke in NYC??? Made with real sugar not corn syrup!

This is the "New Coke" versus "Classic Coke" thing again, isnt it? Right after HFCS came out, New Coke hit the market and traditionalists hated it so they came out with Classic Coke. IIRC, in the USA, the formula they now use is similar if not identical to the one they had in New Coke. HFCS is in, sugar is out.

Last edited:
No, New Coke had a "lite" feel to it which classic, even with HFCS, does not have. New was rather like Pepsi (deliberately so).

Last edited:
No, New Coke had a "lite" feel to it which classic, even with HFCS, does not have. New was rather like Pepsi (deliberately so).

I believe what Coca-Cola did was gradually change the formulation in Classic Coke to the point where what we have now is essentially what used to be New Coke.

The ingredients in Classic Coke changed from: Carbonated water, sucrose, caramel…to Carbonated water, sucrose and high fructose corn syrup, caramel…to Carbonated water, sucrose and/or high fructose corn syrup, caramel…to Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sucrose, caramel…to finally Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel…

In the meantime, New Coke went bye-bye.

As the formulation slowly changed, everyone became unable to tell the difference because the taste of 'Classic Coke' had been changed gradually instead of overnight...and New Coke was gone.

Then, when people get the chance to drink the Coke from Mexico, they immediately taste the difference and it's the USA-made Coke that has an odd 'feel' to it when compared to the sugar-based drink.

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
You know, I used to really like Coca-Cola a lot... even as recently as a decade ago and even the corn syrup stuff you got here, it was one of my favorite things to drink with all kinds of foods. Lately though it just doesn't ever taste as good as I'm expecting it to. I'd chalked this up to my changing palate. It would be interesting if it's because the coke changed and not me.