Manhattan Burger Madness?

The few reports i had heard was taht it wasn't that good.

But also remember there are carts on 6th Ave at night on every fucking corner from like 45th to 56th. One has a 45 minute line, the rest are empty, and I doubt 99% of the poeple can tell the difference.

The odds are about the same finding me waiting 45 minutes on line for a fucking burger as they are me paying $79 for a fucking burger cause it has some fungus stuffed in it.

Is that the one on the north side of I think the McGraw Hill bldg.... just off 6th? There was a martyr on the stick/gyro guy there all thru the 80's and 90's who was better than the rest. At one point he expanded to a second cart for burgers and chicken, then his son had the ice cream cart. It was right next to a subway stop. I forget the street (46 or 48?). If he's still there I'll wait in a short line for him.

Last edited:

billyS

Reign of Terror
Reading the comments it seems the reason for the wait had more to do with the cooks filling office orders. No one gave the place a thumbs up. Sounds like they will be out of business soon.

Five guys I assume is the same as Five Guys Burgers and Fries? They just opened up one in Hackensack. I walked out because they refuse to serve their burgers any other way besides well done. What's with these places lately? I went to an Applebees a few years ago that tried to pull the same shit. It's not even like I'm asking for my meat bloody. I usually ask for it medium or maybe medium rare if it's a place that advertises as charbroiled.

It's the same old story, especially true in this city. People are like sheep. Yeah New Yorkers try to pass that bull along that they are smarter or better or more savy than others but anyone who observes their behavior knows better.

My family is in the restaurant biz. I remmeber as a kid, when things were tight, there would be days that were real slow with only a handful of customers. Then once a few people came in, others would come rushing. Either zero or we were packed. It might vary one day to the next. The food was the same either time. The same people that turned up their noses at us when business was slow later waited on a line around the corner for the same exact food at double the price.

...I walked out because they refuse to serve their burgers any other way besides well done. What's with these places lately? I went to an Applebees a few years ago that tried to pull the same shit. It's not even like I'm asking for my meat bloody. I usually ask for it medium or maybe medium rare if it's a place that advertises as charbroiled.
Sounds like some attys idea of protecting their clients. Ask them to throw a raw egg in and see what they say.

justme

homo economicus
For some reason I feel compelled to say here that I don't live in NYC

Five guys is what it is. I know a dozen places in Houston that are cheaper and better. On the other hand, I haven't really found any place here that's any better than Five Guys.

Is it possible that there's some kind of ex-pat effect? White Castle is awful, but I bet they'd do crazy business (the first week) from displaced northerners alone if they opened a location in Houston. Five Guys seems to have some kind of (mostly undeserved, imho) following in Virginia.

I will say this for them. The service is far and above any other fast food chains that I've been to here.

White Castle is like crack. It's bad for you but every now and then you're eating 20 of them and you don't know why. It's sort of like Hugh Grant banging a streetwalker while Elizabeth Hurley is waiting back home for him to plow one more time.

The best fast food burger I ever had......

In 'N Out Burger

It's a shame they're all on the West Coast. If you ever read the book Fast Food Nation, it has some great points as to why they're so successful.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
White Castle is like crack. It's bad for you but every now and then you're eating 20 of them and you don't know why. It's sort of like Hugh Grant banging a streetwalker while Elizabeth Hurley is waiting back home for him to plow one more time.
I guess I won't be trying crack anytime soon.

When I was young, my sister was a Trekkie and there was this White Castle commercial where the Enterprise pulls up at some outerspace Whaite Castle and orders like 2136 hamburgers. One of her friends goes: "that's rediculous! There are only 430 crewmembers about the Starship Enterprise!"

I responded "You've obviously never eaten at White Castle!"

The best fast food burger I ever had......

In 'N Out Burger

I really believe the bacon cheeseburger from Roy Rogers was the best burger ever, at least for a fast food burger. I don't think I ever enjoyed any piece of food more. Too bad the other fast food franchisers got nervous and practically ran them out of business and stupid ass Hardees fucked things up.