Lurkers

April

Member<br><color=red> First in war, first in peace
In my 2 week stay I discovered that there are MANY MANY lurkers here on UG who are somewhat intimidated to join in on the conversations.

I mean yeah UG has ALWAYS been a tough crowd and you do kind of have to take your lumps here to stick around.

Granted posters with higher post counts do have a higher amount of credibility.

Unfortunately nit picking about grammar and spelling and guys ripping apart new posters because of inexperience here on UG, I find is inhibiting the newer men from contributing some valuable information.

Just remember there was a time when we were ALL new here.

Now there is a difference when someone comes in with one post count to "zing" in a one liner. (usually useless dribble as well as a sockpuppet)

I since my joining UG (2001) it has had it's ups and downs reguarding conflict (Hell I've been privy to a few...how the hell do you think I got my tag name?)

What I DO find now is that there seems to be less bullshit spewed here (for the most part)

I extremely enjoy the conversations here as well as the interaction.

I DO however think we'd have a bit more active and interesting conversations if we'd all concentrate on what is being said and not how it's being typed.

Just my 2 cents

April

It is not easy to be new to these boards. I like to contribute and sometimes even have something intelligent to say, but when your posts are ignored or vehemtly disagreed with its easier and maybe even advisable to sit back and wait for a better opportunity to post. I still feel very much like an outsider to the boards because so many other posters have a long history here and my 200 some odd posts is not going to break through that barrier (how matter how fucking awesome they are, j/k).

When I first joined, I had posted a few stories and then stopped. When I whined about it being ignored, Slinky gave me some great advice. I can't remember it verbatim, but it was something like, stop being a pussy.

If you feel you have something to contribute, information, entertainment or something else, please do it. Hopefully, as a lurker, you've read the boards and will know where to put your post and what is absolutely certain to draw flames. As a lurker you probably know very well what is unreadable.

Remember if your post is so obvious, repetitive or illegible that it doesn't contribute, someone will be sure to let you know.

I think its good advice to remind the jaded people who use these boards that there are virgins in the world and sometimes you need to be gentle.

Last edited:
HMM

"Stop being a pussy", Ah Slinky giving those inspiring words.

I felt comfortable in UG from day one. I was Jimmy Hoffa on craigslist and I use to read the UG board on and off.

I belong here period. Even though I am on probation for most of the time I have been here lol.

I wonder when I am off probation???

Last edited:

billyS

Reign of Terror
April, with all due respect and please know this is not directed at you but at the Lurkers you speak of:
What a bunch of bullshit. Lurkers lurk because they don't want to share information, they are selfish men who only take info and keep shit to themselves. True some might be paranoid schizophrenics who are afraid if they post the cops will hunt down their IP and mac address and arrest them for hobbying. But afraid to post because we are a tough crowd? Please.
To paraphrase a stripper from the Paradise Club in one of Retoxicates best stories:
"What kind of bitch ass man is afraid to post on a PMB"

April

Member<br><color=red> First in war, first in peace
Bio reposting this statement here is extremely out of context. But you being from LI I'm sure THAT post irked you.

Sorry if LI guys took offence but the quote IMO DID pertain to a thread where the men were acting like women on their period.

Sorry for the LI generaliztion but I have MANY men on LI who I have seen in the past who did not behave so womanly.

Being I am out of touch and as well as out of the loop with reguards to LI, I inquired with my usual call them as I see them self....WHEN did things change?

My appologies to the generalization but this should not bother you unless your acting like....well for lack of a better term "bitch"

That being said with reguards to the lurkers I was referring to. These tend to be men who do not have the experiences to post about. Then when they do they get called bogus.

JMO as well as my experience.

I want to agree with you April. I really do.

Then I see a response like this in the Looking to date a whore thread by a new poster that is barely distinguishable from selecting five words at random and posting them:

do somebody can work it??

What a scintillating contribution! I'm sure by his 10th post he'll have worked his way up to discussing quantum mechanics.

Last edited:

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
The current UG is a shell of it's pinnacle.

And you're mistaking being intimidated for being perplexed.
Considering your last contribution was 5 years ago, but you're still lurking, the comment both seems disingenuous and perhaps you should look upon your own doorstep for the source of your ire.

I can't speak for everyone, but I lurked around some other boards for a while before joining. I think that there's a couple of reasons that they don't jump in/contribute.

Fear of LE, fear of getting caught, (losing spouse/kids/job/etc), lack of opportunity to search or post (have to wait until the kids/wife is asleep). Also some of us don't do this on a regular basis. I know that many of the posters here indulge every week or several times a week, but a lot of us only do this rarely, then the wife is away, or when we travel for business.

Posting the boards has risks, will I forget one night to clear my cache and history? If she suspects something will she install monitoring software? Is she going to find what is effectively a confession posted on the web?

After a while I personally decided that the risks of posting were acceptable.

All of this that we do is about risk and we have to decide what risks are acceptable. Go to a SW and there's more of a risk of getting caught by LE, robbed by pimp, getting a disease, but the $$$ is lower. Go to a AMP, more $, less chance of LE, some chance of disease. Go to a craigs list girl and its more $, some chance of LE, some chance of being robbed/blackmailed. Go to an independent/agency more $$$, low risk of LE, lower risk of disease, but now they want you to reveal your real name, occupation, etc and that creates different risks.

Using sites like the UG help us reduce/mitigate those risks and while there is some risk associated with posting on the site, posting helps keep all of us safer.

I'm going to agree with Doc here. I post when I can but with wife and kids who also use the computer I have to wait until they are in bed. Also, I wish I had more free cash to try places but I don't. I stick with what I know works. I got money on megaball this weekend so if things change :) I'll be certain to post the results of my tour. :)

It would be great if I was free to use UG as a hang out place, but that is just not my situation. sorry.

I lurk a lot as my posts are only helpful in a few topics/threads and I have always felt comfortable posting my opinion. I lurk a lot to learn different trends and things and this board has definitely helped me in my position (ad sales). Even as a lurker I tend to only skim posts from users I don't recognize and take more seriously the users with more posts, which I guess I shouldn't but its out of habit from posting on other boards as well.

It is not easy to be new to these boards. I like to contribute and sometimes even have something intelligent to say, but when your posts are ignored or vehemtly disagreed with its easier and maybe even advisable to sit back and wait for a better opportunity to post. I still feel very much like an outsider to the boards because so many other posters have a long history here and my 200 some odd posts is not going to break through that barrier (how matter how fucking awesome they are, j/k).

When I first joined, I had posted a few stories and then stopped. When I whined about it being ignored, Slinky gave me some great advice. I can't remember it verbatim, but it was something like, stop being a pussy.

If you feel you have something to contribute, information, entertainment or something else, please do it. Hopefully, as a lurker, you've read the boards and will know where to put your post and what is absolutely certain to draw flames. As a lurker you probably know very well what is unreadable.

Remember if your post is so obvious, repetitive or illegible that it doesn't contribute, someone will be sure to let you know.

I think its good advice to remind the jaded people who use these boards that there are virgins in the world and sometimes you need to be gentle.
I gotta say I agree with you here. I am long time member but mostly lurk as you can see by my post count and its primarily for reasons you highlighted. I kinda feel like the kid in high school movies who sits down at a packed lunched table only to have the everyone get up and move to another table. So my hesitation in giving my input is only overcome when I have the answer to a specific question. If its opinionated I pretty much leave it alone.

I gotta say I agree with you here. I am long time member but mostly lurk as you can see by my post count and its primarily for reasons you highlighted. I kinda feel like the kid in high school movies who sits down at a packed lunched table only to have the everyone get up and move to another table. So my hesitation in giving my input is only overcome when I have the answer to a specific question. If its opinionated I pretty much leave it alone.
You shouldn't feel that way, I wish more members do contribute. Most of the gentleman I see are lurkers and I have had some of the most intriguing conversations with them. I wish more members participated, I get so much important information from UG, it's my trusted news source. Don't let the outspoken intimate, I would like to read more from handles I do not recognize.