Late-Night Dining

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
Depends on the night. According their web site, they are open until 3:30 am Tues-Sat, and until 11 pm Sun & Mon. You'll want to get there at least an hour before if you want to enjoy your meal, because they start to wrap things up and urge you to make your last food order about 15-30 minutes before closing

wo hop

24-7
costs next to nothing, best basement Chinese

Seriously, I was there only once about 3 AM. there was only one other table occupied, a middle aged but aging well Chinese woman with a table full of men of all ages administering to her every wish.
They were slugging down Heinekins at an alarming rate, one that made me think from my experience with Chinese friends that there were many red faces and expelled plates of mu shu that night.
I was fascinated but was with the wife so I only caught a furtive glance once in a while.

24-7
costs next to nothing, best basement Chinese

Seriously, I was there only once about 3 AM. there was only one other table occupied, a middle aged but aging well Chinese woman with a table full of men of all ages administering to her every wish.
They were slugging down Heinekins at an alarming rate, one that made me think from my experience with Chinese friends that there were many red faces and expelled plates of mu shu that night.
I was fascinated but was with the wife so I only caught a furtive glance once in a while.
They are all that's left of the old Chinatown. Cantonese style catering to American tastes.

69 Bayard St. Ctown

Forgot the name of the place but it has dollar $ bills as wall paper. They make a kick ass sea snails in black bean sauce. The lemon chicken is good too.

Last edited:

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
Landmarc isn't really a steak place, and it doesn't really bill itself as one. It's more an "American bistro." As such, they have steak which is very good, but more a bistro steak than a steakhouse steak. The food as a whole there is good: it's just kind of ordinary and unexciting. Worth eating if you're there, but not worth a big-deal trip.

Prices are moderate. (But to me this is the kind of place where the food is unexciting enough that it just isn't quite worth paying for, if you know what I mean.) The wine program is spectacular, though -- very very gentle markup.

They're about to open a branch in the Time Warner Center.
TWC location: what JL said. Very reasonable markup for an excellent Willamette pinot noir, but served at cellar temperature. -1 for that.

justme

homo economicus
I'd far, far rather have my wine served over-chilled than under-chilled as the former can be cured with patience but the latter has no real remedy.