Kurt Cobain Guitar

By the way, if you follow the Dead at all these days, John Mayer is outstanding. Such a great feel player. And he’s not just copying Jerry, he’s using it as a foundation but going further. His roots are deep in the blues, not just bubble gum top 40.

pokler

Power Bottom
He wasn't a great guitar player (Cobain)! He just revolutionized music, that's all. As far as the best? That's a list that includes ppl we've probably never heard of.
Ever hear of Eric Johnson? He makes Jimmy Page look like a piker.
If the intro gets boring, skip to the 3 minute mark. This guy is unreal.
Or Tom Morello from Rage?
The guitar is a toy in his hands, check out his solos compared to Bruce's. This performance had die hard guitar enthusiasts scratching their heads in amazement.
What about Eddie Van Halen?
Page was fine, in my opinion, but when you can bend a guitar to your will, like the examples above, you're on another level. The list goes on and on...
When comparing guitar players you have to take into account their style of playing. Comparing a Segovia with a Hendrix as to who is the better player is akin to comparing Sandy Koufax to Willy Mays. Same sport but different position.

About your Eric Johnson vid 3 mins in..
yes he's is technically amazingly proficient and accurate , very fast and shows a mastery of fret board. But here is what else he is .. mechanical, sterile , and unmoving. It like he's trying to show his mastery of scales.

Below I post a vid of an 8 yr old kid who is just as good at finger style as EJ is at rock.
Except the kid makes the piece come alive with feel, melody and blending bass , chords and melody. He moves me where EJ does not.

I respect everyone's opinion on the topic, but I'm seeing a definite trend here, you're all only into older music. The guitar has come a LONG way since the 60s and 70s. Sure, some of those guys were groundbreaking, but that was 60 years ago! 60 YEARS AGO! lol. I luv classic rock, but I'm also open to newer sounds.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ug_news/top_15_most_challenging_songs_to_play_on_guitar.html

At least King Crimson and Mark Knopfler made the list. But notice, no other classic songs. All modern performers except those two. I wonder why...?

I respect everyone's opinion on the topic, but I'm seeing a definite trend here, you're all only into older music. The guitar has come a LONG way since the 60s and 70s. Sure, some of those guys were groundbreaking, but that was 60 years ago! 60 YEARS AGO! lol. I luv classic rock, but I'm also open to newer sounds.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ug_news/top_15_most_challenging_songs_to_play_on_guitar.html

At least King Crimson and Mark Knopfler made the list. But notice, no other classic songs. All modern performers except those two. I wonder why...?
So when I break down the UG list, there’s a definite bias towards metal, which the site in general lenas towards IMHO. I’ve been using UG for almost 20 years, great resource. I like that they recognized artists like Jon Gomm and Andy McKee. I also mentioned Martin Sexton earlier. Their genre is amazing as they are incorporating percussion with the guitar into their playing. Amazing what they do with the instrument.

pokler

Power Bottom
Keith Richards anyone? And for a fairly unknown guitarist, check out Martin Sexton.
You mean the Keith Richard's famous for playing Chuck Berry riffs who when rehearsing with Chuck Berry had to be corrected by Chuck Berry for not playing Chuck Berry riffs correctly? That Keith Richards ?

I love my "Classic Rock Gods" and have a hard time with almost anything past the 70's, but this guy, I could listen to all day long. He's got it.