Klitchko Fight

Originally posted by stranger
Grant, Golota and Briggs may be one man's idea of club fighters. But they're Lennox Lewis' idea of title bout opponents.

Oleg Maskaev knocked Hasim Rahman clear out of the ring when they fought. Rahman shortly thereafter went on to put out Lewis' lights in South Africa.

We seem to be in agreement that McCline is a legit Top 10 guy after all. By the way, you left Johnny Ruiz off your list.

Off the evidence of his sloppy showing in the Tyson fight, I'd say Lewis is rapidly approaching his "Use By" date, if he hasn't already passed it. Holyfield's sticker expired years ago, before the Ruiz series. Tyson is simply pathetic. The older generation has passed. Right now, today, the younger Klitschko brother is probably the best heavyweight in the whole wide world.
You're effin crazy. Lewis didn't have a sloppy showing against Tyson. The only thing that might question Lewis was the great punch that floored him by Rahman. Doesn't make him any less of a great heavyweight.

Holyfield had bad showings against Ruiz because of Ruiz's style. If Holyfield lost it, how did he have a good showing in the 2nd Lewis fight and his lates fight dominates Rahman? Certain boxers do own other boxer's styles you know. Lewis has consistently dominated everyone (not every fight but everyone *Rahman) he has faced over the past 5 years and really hasn't showed any sign of slowing down.

Who give's a rats ass about Maskaev? Are you going to say that Buster Douglas was one of the greatest heavyweights because he knocked out Tyson? I'm starting to see a trend here where it looks like you favor Eastern European fighters. You probably had high hopes for Axel Schultz too.

Do you know how many nobodys are on every top ten list for each belt? Go look at the WBC's rankings and tell me you honestly know every fighter on that list. Just because they're on somebody's top ten list doesn't mean that they're a name. The heavyweight division is so bad right now that Witherspoon and Mercer are close to cracking the top ten on a couple of rankings.

Originally posted by aceofclubs26

You're effin crazy. Lewis didn't have a sloppy showing against Tyson. The only thing that might question Lewis was the great punch that floored him by Rahman. Doesn't make him any less of a great heavyweight.

Holyfield had bad showings against Ruiz because of Ruiz's style. If Holyfield lost it, how did he have a good showing in the 2nd Lewis fight and his lates fight dominates Rahman? Certain boxers do own other boxer's styles you know. Lewis has consistently dominated everyone (not every fight but everyone *Rahman) he has faced over the past 5 years and really hasn't showed any sign of slowing down.

Who give's a rats ass about Maskaev? Are you going to say that Buster Douglas was one of the greatest heavyweights because he knocked out Tyson? I'm starting to see a trend here where it looks like you favor Eastern European fighters. You probably had high hopes for Axel Schultz too.

Do you know how many nobodys are on every top ten list for each belt? Go look at the WBC's rankings and tell me you honestly know every fighter on that list. Just because they're on somebody's top ten list doesn't mean that they're a name. The heavyweight division is so bad right now that Witherspoon and Mercer are close to cracking the top ten on a couple of rankings.
Lewis was extremely sloppy versus Tyson. Tyson was so passive (sedated?) after Round 1 that Lennox could get away with it. Lewis has been knocked out in the last five years, has eked out some narrow victories, such as Holyfield 2, and has looked shakey at times against ordinary opposition. He has certainly not been dominant over that time period, although he has been the best, emphasis on the "has been". The longer he puts off fighting the better Klitschko, the worse it will be for him when he finally does so.

Holyfield has had enormous stamina problems in all his fights since Lewis 1. The way he shuts down for extended periods in every single round to recharge his batteries is scarey to watch. Evander has been my favorite fighter the last fifteen years, but the man is completely out of touch with reality.

Someone wanted to know what the significance of Whitaker's beating Maskaev was. I didn't realize you would have a problem with my answering that question. Coincidentally enough, Whitaker knocked Oleg clear out of the ring, exactly as Oleg had done previously to the guy who coldcocked Lewis.

In approximately two years, the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world will be Ukrainian. The most dominating player in the NBA will be Chinese. Welcome to the new millenium. You may check your outdated preconceptions at the door.

Last edited:
Originally posted by stranger
In approximately two years, the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world will be Ukrainian. The most dominating player in the NBA will be Chinese. Welcome to the new millenium. You may check your outdated preconceptions at the door.
Hopefully, by the time two years pass, I'll be able to catch my breath from laughing so hard and respond.

Hopefully, by the time two years pass, I'll be able to catch my breath from laughing so hard and respond.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry alone.

Who do you like Saturday night? I'm expecting the fight to be a perfectly dreadful eyesore, like all Chris Byrd victories.

I think Holyfield will win, but I actually think it's a good matchup. Byrd is slick but I think Holyfield should pull it out. I just wish they seperated the heavyweight division into a super heavy division.

All these guys that are 6'2 and under are having a hell of a hard time with the 6'3 and up guys. The typical heavyweight has grown so much in size over the last ten years. Just like how you mentioned Mount Whitaker. There was so much talk on him when he was coming up because of his size. I remember when I travelled to California a couple of times in the nineties, and almost any sports section that covered boxing had a blurb on Lance. Now the guy really isn't a "giant" compared to the other guys.

Too bad that Ike Ibeabuchi was locked up. I would have loved to see how he fared against a lot of the top heavyweights. Remember when he caught Chris Byrd in 98?

Too bad that Ike Ibeabuchi was locked up. I would have loved to see how he fared against a lot of the top heavyweights. Remember when he caught Chris Byrd in 98?
Yeah, too bad Ike is just plain crazy. Didn't he once kidnap his girlfriend's son and then drive the car containing his victim into a wall?

Unfortunately, Byrd has no power, so the fight should go the limit. No matter what happens, Evander will believe he won and he'll just go on endangering his remaining brain cells.

Last edited: