IT Homework help

Ok here is today's assignment, it is a DQ and I think I might be able to answer it myself but figured I would get some more feedback to make sure my simple mind grasps it correctly:

Post your response to the following: Why are database management systems (DBMS) important in the business community? Give at least two reasons to support your answer.
However you reply, try to work in concepts on databases characteristics. At a minumum databases must support Creation of data, Reading of Data, Update and and Deletion of data (CRUD). Enterprise wide databases must ensure data Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, and Durability (ACID). Typically this is done via Transactions, where changes are kept local and isolated until the transaction is committed to the primary DB (or rolled back).. You can google the rest.

I'm riffing here, but those are the essential concepts.

Next Assignment

So up to this point I failed the power point and have C average and sinking lower every minute:( My biggest problem is I understand to a point what I am reading but not enough to form and write an answer in my own words..so in short HELP!!!

Outline the three general network topologies (bus, ring, and star). Describe the
components, devices, and arrangement of components and devices involved in each
topology, as well as some of the pros and cons of each configuration.
Post a 400- to 800-word response to your individual forum.

Next Assignment

So up to this point I failed the power point and have C average and sinking lower every minute:( My biggest problem is I understand to a point what I am reading but not enough to form and write an answer in my own words..so in short HELP!!!

Outline the three general network topologies (bus, ring, and star). Describe the

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear

It will take a little while for me to write a full reply to this. When is it due? Please give me a couple of hours and I should have outlines up for you. I hope it will help.

It will take a little while for me to write a full reply to this. When is it due? Please give me a couple of hours and I should have outlines up for you. I hope it will help.
Thanks buttercup..its not due til weds but my other assignments require scenerios from my txt, so im on my own w/ those....if i fail this class im pretty screwed and it could drop my gpa below a 3.0 which means id lose my grant money:( did i mention i hate this class...and the worst part is its all online so i cant even use my boobs to influence the instructor or hell im not beneath offering sexual favors for a passing grade (im kidding, or am i;))

Last edited:

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
Thanks buttercup..its not due til weds but my other assignments require scenerios from my txt, so im on my own w/ those....if i fail this class im pretty screwed and it could drop my gpa below a 3.0 which means id lose my grant money:( did i mention i hate this class...and the worst part is its all online so i cant even use my boobs to influence the instructor or hell im not beneath offering sexual favors for a passing grade (im kidding, or am i;))
I will do my best for you and you know I am not like that. will give it to you this afternoon, this is one of my better topics of study...

justme

homo economicus
So up to this point I failed the power point and have C average and sinking lower every minute
Perhaps your instructor can tell that you are cheating?

With the incredible hassle involved in pulling someone through the formal channel of academic dishonesty, a lot of instructors (although not me) will simply drop the grade and move on.

Perhaps your instructor can tell that you are cheating?

With the incredible hassle involved in pulling someone through the formal channel of academic dishonesty, a lot of instructors (although not me) will simply drop the grade and move on.
Thats just it I didnt cheat....I put in my own words what I understood from the text and then APA (ref/quoted) as per the PP instructions....it just down right sucked because my words made absolutely no sense which kept w/ the theme of the whole thing since nothing I read made any sense to me;)....I wouldnt cheat becaue I have to run all text through the campus plagerism checker so it does not serve a purpose but again Im just an idiot lost in the world of IT...xox

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
Thats just it I didnt cheat....I put in my own words what I understood from the text and then APA (ref/quoted) as per the PP instructions....it just down right sucked because my words made absolutely no sense which kept w/ the theme of the whole thing since nothing I read made any sense to me;)....I wouldnt cheat becaue I have to run all text through the campus plagerism checker so it does not serve a purpose but again Im just an idiot lost in the world of IT...xox
First you are not an idiot in the world of IT, those programing questions and the answers were all greek to me. The network questions I understand only cause I physically deal with that stuff almost everyday. It was part of a cert program I had to take. I sent you what i hope you needed and hope it helps was way to long to post here....

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_topology
A network topology is the layout or map of the pieces of a network. The topologies ring, bus, & star are be physical network topologies, as in real physical objects that constrained by real world physical limits. So the topologies are real and they make a picture. Star looks like a star. Ring looks like a ring. Bus is usually pictured as a straight line.

The bus, ring and star are physical network topologies.

See the following links for descriptions & pictures of the topologies.
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networkdesign/a/topologies.htm
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/lan-switch2.htm
http://fcit.usf.edu/network/chap5/chap5.htm
Pay attention to picture only: http://www.britannica.com/eb/art/print?id=68195

Advantages and disadvantages of Bus to be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_network
When thinking of a bus network, picture it as a fat line, like a real world school bus, and then picture all the students (nodes on a network) sitting in the bus (directly attached to the bus). The bus network topology is not as common as it was 10 years ago. Thinnet and thicknet were the common used networks 10+ years ago and are examples of bus networking. Today, thinnet and thicknet have been obsoleted by various flavors of Ethernet (10 Mbit, 100Mbit, 1000Mbit).
Picture of Bus Network:
http://au.geocities.com/lev_lafayette/manual/bus.gif
http://www.edrawsoft.com/images/network/Bus-Network-Topology.png

Advantages and disadvantages of Ring to be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_network
"A ring network is a network topology in which each node connects to exactly two other nodes, forming a circular pathway for signals: a ring. Data travels from node to node, with each node handling every packet."
Ring looks like a ring, each thing is connected via cable to another thing in something like a circle. Typically used in FDDi fiber optic networks.

Note: Token Ring network is not is most cases used in a a Ring Topology. Instead Toekn Ring is usually used ine a Star Topology.

Advantages and disadvantages of star to be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_network
"Star networks are one of the most common computer network topologies. In its simplest form, a star network consists of one central switch, hub or computer, which acts as a conduit to transmit messages. "
Star network is best understood as a central point of contact (the hub or switch) and the nodes radiate out from it like spokes on a bicycle wheel. Our common everyday wired ethernet networks (10/100/1000 Mbit/sec) use a star topology.
Many of the following links use plenty of technical jargon. Given that this assignment is asking for your own words, you should be able to go through the technical jargon and filter it out and write it up in your own way.

Contact me or wolf via e-m*** if you need someone to proofread it.

Last edited:
It is times like this when I wish I had my masters in CS/IT/CIS. If so I would go right to the prof. and/or dept head & argue that the curriculum is screwed up. These are not intro to IT for non-IT majors. I have a BS in IT from a renowned CS/Engineering school in the country and the assigments like these are only found in in-major courses.

Perhaps your instructor is a member of UG
LOL well if he is (can i offer you a freebie for a good grade;)"..kidding but if he was he would know i am trying..im not as much posting these for answers persay but hoping to get someone to explain it in terms I understand since the text book is all just that text book terms i can not xcompute in my little head (see guys even us girls have little heads that dont always do good;))...how have you been gorgeous? I hope your summer is starting off good...xox

Seems my oral skills extend out of the bedroom variety;) I just got a msg from my IT instructor and he has given me a second chance on the powerpoint...i submitted another one and am awaiting my grade now......xox

justme

homo economicus
I'm not saying that you've copied anything verbatim.

I'm suggesting that some of the answers that you're getting here are fairly sophisticated. As one person pointed out, they are well beyond the scope of an intro IT course for non-majors. On the other hand, the questions aren't necessarily that hard, depending on what your textbook looks like.

Suppose you had a textbook that said, "A stochastic process is a sequence of random numbers." If you got a question that asked what a stochastic process was, it would be very easy to answer. On the other hand, if you came here and asked me what one was, I could say that was a really hard question and rattle on for a few pages.

Some of the questions you're asking look like they're regurgitation type questions. The problem is that when you come here and ask people, they don't have the benefit of the book and so they answer in the largest possible generality. When you pass on those kind of answers, it can become clear that you're using outside sources - especially if it's obvious that you don't really understand what you're writing to begin with.

But again, that was just a guess.

Online courses suck.

I'm not saying that you've copied anything verbatim.

I'm suggesting that some of the answers that you're getting here are fairly sophisticated. As one person pointed out, they are well beyond the scope of an intro IT course for non-majors. On the other hand, the questions aren't necessarily that hard, depending on what your textbook looks like.

Suppose you had a textbook that said, "A stochastic process is a sequence of random numbers." If you got a question that asked what a stochastic process was, it would be very easy to answer. On the other hand, if you came here and asked me what one was, I could say that was a really hard question and rattle on for a few pages.

Some of the questions you're asking look like they're regurgitation type questions. The problem is that when you come here and ask people, they don't have the benefit of the book and so they answer in the largest possible generality. When you pass on those kind of answers, it can become clear that you're using outside sources - especially if it's obvious that you don't really understand what you're writing to begin with.

But again, that was just a guess.

Online courses suck.
Thanks justme...what im really trying to do is find answers out side of my book to hopefully give me a better understanding so that putting it into my own words would be easier...i somewhat get it but the hardest part is putting it in my own words...im passing as of right now, re did my power point and got 74 points out of a poss 100 which deff helped..i have 4 wks left of the class and ill be happy just to get a c and be done w/ it....xox

You said that you had to take courses in math and science. You might have been better off taking a course in, say, introductory calculus and biology.

You could always get books like Calculus and Biology for Idiots (no offense). These books are great because they simplify these subjects so that even people who don't have knack for these courses can understand them.

Last edited: