IT Homework help

I am in the middle of my IT class (my science requirement). They call it a beginners class, but I am apprently even lower than a beginner on the ladder...if anyone can help me make heads or tales of this question I would really appreciate it....xox

What are the most important differences between object-oriented programming
languages and generations 1-4 of (often called top down or structured) programming
languages. How are they similar?

This google search should turn up what you need. This link too.

In my experience, this question is only really applicable to the fields of computer science and software engineering, both of which appear to be related to IT but they are quite far removed from the field of IT. I think the question is not a bullshit question but I would argue that it is not relevant to a intro level IT course.

Good luck. :)
Thanks sweet pea....since the degree i am going to school for has nothing to do with IT, computers or any of the above im really just trying to skate thru this class with a passing grade to meet my science requirement...not sure i want to go head to head w/ my uptight instructor over this but am willing to at this point to pay someone to take the damn class for me;) thanks for the link still dont understand what any of it means but think i can put together a decent enough paper that makes me look like i have a clue...xox

billyS

Reign of Terror
languages and generations 1-4 of (often called top down or structured) programming
Object oriented languages are used for building screens and web applications. They are event driven, On a mouse click the program is entered in the part of the code that controls the conditional logic for the mouse click. OO Languages like Visual Basic and C++ are used to write programs for PC's. Structured programming languages like COBOL and BAL are used on mainframes and are still used for large number crunching. These langauges are called top down because the code is always entered from the begining and then flow to the end.
They are the same because they all have the same basic functions such as If-Else logic, writing to files, Do-While loops. Only the syntax varies.

Thank You Guys

Thanks Billy ( got your VM you are a sweetie)..and thanks puffin...i still have no understanding of any of it but cut and paste is not beneath me;-) I really do appreciate the help and will prob post often...i thought i would have caught on by now but im still lost and up sh*ts creek without a paddle....sweet dreams everyone, im off to write a paper....xox

Thanks Billy ( got your VM you are a sweetie)..and thanks puffin...i still have no understanding of any of it but cut and paste is not beneath me;-) I really do appreciate the help and will prob post often...i thought i would have caught on by now but im still lost and up sh*ts creek without a paddle....sweet dreams everyone, im off to write a paper....xox
Yes, I know my description was brief, but it's the type of thing that needs to be illustrated with examples to have any meaning (it is of course all about abstract concepts). Conventional programming passes data to functions, which then process the data. Object Oriented Programming (OOP) associates data with functions (and the functions are now instead called methods). This requires much more careful design, but once that is done it allows these assemblies (defined by something called a class) to be treated as new data types in their own rights. Classes may then be used to create objects.

This threatens to become a long essay, but I guarantee that if you can describe examples of Polymorphism, Inheritance, and Encapsulation, you will get full credit. Is you need more pointers, let me know.

Last edited:
Yes, I know my description was brief, but it's the type of thing that needs to be illustrated with examples to have any meaning (it is of course all about abstract concepts). Conventional programming passes data to functions, which then process the data. Object Oriented Programming (OOP) associates data with functions (and the functions are now instead called methods). This requires much more careful design, but once that is done it allows these assemblies (defined by something called a class) to be treated as new data types in their own rights. Classes may then be used to create objects.

This threatens to become a long essay, but I guarantee that if you can describe examples of Polymorphism, Inheritance, and Encapsulation, you will get full credit. Is you need more pointers, let me know.
Thanks puffin, and i am going to take you up on the offer for pointers..i actually used what you posted although in my own words, well kind of;) so on another note the online magazine i will be writing for launched today and i just looked at it..something about having a byline that starts the day just right....makes you forget you were up til 3am writing a paper on stuff u have npo clue about...thanks again guys...xox

Thanks puffin, and i am going to take you up on the offer for pointers..i actually used what you posted although in my own words, well kind of;) so on another note the online magazine i will be writing for launched today and i just looked at it..something about having a byline that starts the day just right....makes you forget you were up til 3am writing a paper on stuff u have npo clue about...thanks again guys...xox
if you haven't handed in your paper yet, let me know. I have been writing software for a living for 20 years and can try to put this in layman's terms for your. I must say it is kind of an open ended/ridiculous questions.

if you haven't handed in your paper yet, let me know. I have been writing software for a living for 20 years and can try to put this in layman's terms for your. I must say it is kind of an open ended/ridiculous questions.
does my ego good to know that even the experts found the question ridiculous (me because i didnt understand, you because you do understand;))...it was due weds so had to post it by last night or id have lost another 10% of my grade, which at this point I cant afford..but i have a few more weeks and alot more assignments so I will deff be making good use of this thread and really do appreciate yours and everyone elses help...however even though i handed it in, wouldnt mind actualy understanding what it was i wrote about..so the english version of the whole thing would be great...xox

I have forgotton a lot of the theory behind this because I don't need to know this for my job.

I can't really answer the similarities between the two. programming is programming, the logic behind it is all the same. that is the part of the question that I find rdiciculous. some of the stuff I write involves a lot of number crunching so the same program/code/logic can be used in a structured language vs object oriented. Cobol is a mainframe language but all of the early programming languages for the pcs are structured based. functions are also available in structure programming. the reason for a function is that is a piece of code that is used by more than 1 program in the application.

you can look up the meaning of oo programming anywere but to try to explain is to look at an order entry screen. every thing (all fields) are considered objects and have their own name. a screen written in a structured language; the fields will be part of a database. these objects can be refered to my their name. save and cancel buttons are also objects.

classes(snippets of code) are created. the reason is to resuse these classes on other forms. a class can be used on 10 forms and extra code can be added to each variation. I forgot what this is called.

everything is oo program is part of a parent-child realtionship. a form is the parent and the fields are the children.

a property on a form is used to hold a value(stuctured would use a variable)
a method on a form is to hold a block of code (structured would call to a function)

the 2 major reasons for using oo programing is speed of development and resuability of code.

I hope this makes sense; not that I know have any idea what I have been doing for the past 20 years.

I am in the middle of my IT class (my science requirement). They call it a beginners class, but I am apprently even lower than a beginner on the ladder...if anyone can help me make heads or tales of this question I would really appreciate it....xox

Object oriented programming languages are typified by C++. It has classes. Let me give you an example; you create a class called "people". Then "people" have a property called "sex". The property call sex has two types "male" and "female". This is written as people->sex = male or people->sex = female. people also have a property called "limbs". limbs have types, "arms", "legs", "fingers", "toes". This would be written as people->limbs = legs. A new class can inherit properties and types from existing classes. For example, a meta code (meta means not real code, but a rough example for your understanding)

Define programmers as new class of people

An example of this would be:

programmers->sex = male
programmers->limbs=arms

and so on.

Structured programming languages are usually defined as having as structured logic that you can easily follow.

The programming language that first allowed for structured programming was Pascal. We no longer use Pascal much anymore. Microsoft Visual Basic is used, and it is structured. It no longer uses line numbers or goto statements.

If age < 2 then
'you are an infant
'you just learned to walk
'you are still learning to talk
else if age > 2 and age < 5 then
'you are a toddler
'you have learned to walk
'you have learned to talk
else
'you are more grown up
End if

You can see how each age level is clearly laid out, we call this "Structured Programming".

An example of unstructured or "Spaghetti" code. It is call "Spaghetti" code because the logic thread twists and turns, and is very hard to follow and unravel. An example of this is "Dartmouth Basic", this was the original version of basic. It used line numbers to direct the flow of the logic thread.

10 If age < 2 then goto 100
20 If age > 2 and age < 5 then goto 110
30 If age => 5 then goto 120

note, we can skip lines. We need to in case we need to insert a lien of code, and the "goto" statement is used quite often in unstructured code.

100 'you are an infant
102 'you just learned to walk
104 'you are still learning to talk
106 goto 500
110 'you are a toddler
112 'you have learned to walk
114 'you have learned to talk
116 goto 500
120 'you are more grown up
500 End

As you can see, unstructured code is much harder to read and understand. Large amounts of code can be impossible to follow and understand.

I hope this helps explain the subject.

Thanks guys, im still confused but atleast have a sonewhat better understanding of what i read..deff got more than what i bargained for with this class but considering most of my life revolves around my comp. it would be nice to know more about it...xox

Next Assignment

Ok im poss taking advantage now but figured since you all seem so smart with this information systems stuff I'd ask for help with my day 7 assignment:

Create a 5- to 7-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation detailing the evolution of
programming languages. Organize your slide presentation in the form of a timeline, and
discuss the various generations of programming languages (first through fourth).
· Include a reference slide with citations in APA format.
· Post the presentation.

Ok im poss taking advantage now but figured since you all seem so smart with this information systems stuff I'd ask for help with my day 7 assignment:

Create a 5- to 7-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation detailing the evolution of
programming languages. Organize your slide presentation in the form of a timeline, and
discuss the various generations of programming languages (first through fourth).
· Post the presentation.
Google "Evolution of Programming Languages" go down to the third hit, download the Powerpoint presentation, and take the rest of the weekend off.

You will have to edit it to remove mention of Mark Hennessery. I don't know what the APA format is though. You may have to remove some of the content as I'm sure this is too advanced for the material covered in your course. This ppt presentation looks like it was written by someone who was going for his or her Masters, or Phd.

You will have to edit it to remove mention of Mark Hennessery. I don't know what the APA format is though.
APA is the abbreviation for the American Psychological Association. APA commonly refers to the formatting used for referencing citations in academic works. There are a lot of rules, and it's a pretty strict format. If you are working on anything significant, I suggest you enter your references into refworks. Many schools provide access to refworks for their students.
Tools to find and manage APA references:
Google Scholar
Refworks
OttoBib

· Post the presentation.
man...this a tough basic class. Are you taking this online?

man...this a tough basic class. Are you taking this online?
Yes i am, it was the only way i could speed up the college degree process....but it is damn hard...i am studying for a degree in psychology but have to take a science requirement and a math requirement....my other classes are great and up til now id maintained a steady 3.5 but this class and the grade i get is deff going to affect my GPA....:(

More Help Please

Ok here is today's assignment, it is a DQ and I think I might be able to answer it myself but figured I would get some more feedback to make sure my simple mind grasps it correctly:

Post your response to the following: Why are database management systems (DBMS) important in the business community? Give at least two reasons to support your answer.