Information on asparagus and urine

I like a New England clam chowder, too. But, again, I would try and eliminate the milk, and go with a creamy potato base. (specifically Yukon Gold as per @genius)

At 16, after a short stint as a grill man at McDonald’s, I graduated to being a grill man and short order cook (ice cream scooper and sundae chief) at the famous Friendly’s chain of restaurants, out of Massachusetts.

New England clam chowder was a staple on the menu there with a thick potato and milk base. It was quite a thick chowder, and a popular item. Very satisfying with a BLT, or two, or three.

More of a plant-based guy now, but back in the 70’s, a bowl of New England clam chowder always accompanied my sandwich and fries on long shifts at Friendly’s.

We, the boys and I would keep lookout for each other, as we entered and stayed in the walk-in freezer, while we downed extra sandwiches and milkshakes and scoops of ice cream, away from the scrutiny of the thrifty store manager. (stealing food could get you fired)

No wonder I was almost 300 pounds in those days, playing defensive and offensive tackle on the football team. My restaurant jobs allowed me to store some much needed bulk for the position.

(I preferred the dairy-based chowder back then for the extra protein in the weight room)
Randazzos in sheepshead bay makes the best I’ve had

Any one for Split Pea?

Recently picked up a quart at Uncle Giuseppe’s. It was full of salt… Most of it went down the drain…

@genius, I would welcome a recipe or suggestion from you :), or any of you fine gentlemen here

Any one for Split Pea?

Recently picked up a quart at Uncle Giuseppe’s. It was full of salt… Most of it went down the drain…

@genius, I would welcome a recipe or suggestion from you :), or any of you fine gentlemen here
Split pea soup is simple and easy. Any way you do it, you simply can’t fail!!!

The peas are split, green or yellow, and cook in half the time. No soaking necessary.

You can buy organic (preferred) or if not handy, Goya, Jack Rabbit brands or any other.

Usually comes in a one pound bag. Boil it in a couple of quarts of water. Add vegetables like chopped carrots, parsnips, pealed potatoes, onions. (your choice)

Add spices to taste like parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, black pepper. You can use a ready prepared mix of spices like Italian spice mix, or Bell’s Seasoning, or even a little prepared curry powder mix to taste. Be creative. Never hard and fast rules.

Now, you could salt your taste with a good unprocessed salt like Himalayan pink or Celtic salt from pure sea waters. But, I don’t. Instead. I add a couple of tablespoons of yellow or brown mugi miso. (Yeah “mugi” means barley or grain in Japanese)

Boil the soup for about an hour, or until tender. Add the miso in the very end. Over boiling can kill the helpful bacteria.

Miso adds great body and saltiness to the soup, instead of the traditional smoked very salt hambone.

Also miso has live bacteria like yogurt for gut health, and assists digestion, as does the dry spices that you added. The spices and miso help to digest the gaseous nature of the beans or peas.

Also, a little known fact of miso is that the fermentation process of soybeans, koji (bacteria) and salt in a wooden cask for a number of months creates vitamin B12. It is erroneously thought that the vegetarian diet lacks vitamin B12, but through fermentation, it is created.

Leftover soup, the next day might solidify into peas porridge, as the peas continue to absorb water.

(You might remember the Mother Goose English Nursery rhyme “peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot, nine days old. Some like it hot, some like it cold; some like it in the pot, nine days old.”)

But, the next day, you can add more water and it will go from porridge to soup again. Beans, grains seeds absorb water incredibly.

Some add a bit of olive oil but I don’t.

The above recipe is healthy and delightful. It is only a guideline. Play with cooking and vary ingredients. Cooking is like making love. Each time it is different and changing ingredients is like changing partners so as to never get bored.

If every monger and provider submits a recipe, we can have “The Utopia Guide Cookbook,” and the proceeds can go to a charity feeding the starving.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Any one for Split Pea?

I make mine in a crockpot, just finished a batch.
A bag of green split peas
2 cups frozen hash browns
Four large carrots chopped up
I yellow onion chopped
About 6 celery stalks chopped up
Four cans of beef broth
Some sort of meat, this time I used kielbasa, I've used sweet sausage, smoked ham
Kosher salt.
Eight hours on low, stir about six hours in.

Like Mugi's the next day it will be solid, you can stand a spoon up in it. But microwave it and it's soup again. No need to water it down.

I make mine in a crockpot, just finished a batch.
A bag of green split peas
2 cups frozen hash browns
Four large carrots chopped up
I yellow onion chopped
About 6 celery stalks chopped up
Four cans of beef broth
Some sort of meat, this time I used kielbasa, I've used sweet sausage, smoked ham
Kosher salt.
Eight hours on low, stir about six hours in.

Like Mugi's the next day it will be solid, you can stand a spoon up in it. But microwave it and it's soup again. No need to water it down.
Yeah, I forgot the celery. The celery is a really important ingredient. The celery really gives outstanding flavor.

@billyS’s is the “working man’s version.” Mine is the “zen monastery version.”

But, basically, it is boiling the peas, and adding in whatever you like, to suit your taste and needs.

Smoked hambone is the American Traditional version.

I went plant-based veg a while back to clean out the veins and arteries from my earlier life of massive overindulgence of meat, cheese and eggs.

I lost over 100 pounds by eliminating sugar and saturated fat. It will be my final gift to my pallbearers.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Yeah, I forgot the celery. The celery is a really important ingredient. The celery really gives outstanding flavor.

@billyS’s is the “working man’s version.” Mine is the “zen monastery version.”

But, basically, it is boiling the peas, and adding in whatever you like, to suit your taste and needs.

Smoked hambone is the American Traditional version.

I went plant-based veg a while back to clean out the veins and arteries from my earlier life of massive overindulgence of meat, cheese and eggs.

I lost over 100 pounds by eliminating sugar and saturated fat. It will be my final gift to my pallbearers.
Cows and pigs taste good. Man is a carnivore. Our digestive system have evolved over the centuries to eat meat not that miso crap.

In fact the grains you so lovingly promote in many of your posts were introduced into our system way after meats and veggies.

But of course the farmer lobbies the government and medical people to promote their product plus it's a cheap way to feel full. So we are told bread and cereal are good for you when in fact your body stores that shit as sugar.

Too much of anything is bad but there is no need to avoid meat altogether.

Cows and pigs taste good. Man is a carnivore. Our digestive system have evolved over the centuries to eat meat not that miso crap.

In fact the grains you so lovingly promote in many of your posts were introduced into our system way after meats and veggies.

But of course the farmer lobbies the government and medical people to promote their product plus it's a cheap way to feel full. So we are told bread and cereal are good for you when in fact your body stores that shit as sugar.

Mod note: only comments relative to this thread were kept here.
For full post on Mugi's rambling views on the history of diet for Tibetian monks and animals in the jungle and China wet markets see his private thread.

@billyS, to each his own.

So, you and I make our pea soup differently. You add some meat for flavoring. Probably tastes great.

Mod note: only comments relative to this thread were kept here.
For full post on Mugi's rambling views on the history of diet for Tibetian monks and animals in the jungle and China wet markets see his private thread.

@billyS, to each his own.

So, you and I make our pea soup differently. You add some meat for flavoring. Probably tastes great.
I throwing some pork neck bones for flavoring. They are very inexpensive and when the soup is done you can scrape the meat off with a fork (or not and toss in trash). Also, I use quart of Kitchen Basics unsalted vegetable stock in addition to some water.

I stock up on the veg stock when it's on sale at Giunta's Meat Farm 2 for $5. Other than the stock you make yourself, best you can get at any price, IMHO. I also get the pork neck bones there.

I throwing some pork neck bones for flavoring. They are very inexpensive and when the soup is done you can scrape the meat off with a fork (or not and toss in trash). Also, I use quart of Kitchen Basics unsalted vegetable stock in addition to some water.

I stock up on the veg stock when it's on sale at Giunta's Meat Farm 2 for $5. Other than the stock you make yourself, best you can get at any price, IMHO. I also get the pork neck bones there.
Western beef is open again. Large cuts of meat good prices

I use the smoked neck bones as well or smoked ham hocks. Lots of flavor.
I also use Better than bullion. Beef or chicken flavor. What ever is in the fridge. I like it more than the boxed broth.
Sometimes I’ll also add some chorizo sausage diced up.

Thousands of years prior to the notion of “farmers lobbies,” grain emerged as the staple food of every civilization.

Prior to the cultivation of grain, human beings remained nomadic, following the buffalo and other animals of prey.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Thousands of years prior to the notion of “farmers lobbies,” grain emerged as the staple food of every civilization.

Prior to the cultivation of grain, human beings remained nomadic, following the buffalo and other animals of prey.
And?
That doesn't mean it's good for you.
It means it's a cheap way to fill you up.

You're better off eating nutrition rich root vegetables like carrots and beets to fill you up. But grains are cheaper.
Processed grains cause inflammation.

And?

You're better off eating nutrition rich root vegetables like carrots and beets to fill you up. But grains are cheaper.
If anyone wants some good info on the subject pickup How Not To Die by Michael Greger M.D.
I got mine at library, was so well documented with controlled studies I bought my own copy. He also has a website.

And?

The Roman legions subsisted on 3 to 4 pounds of grain a day. The Mayans, Aztecs, Incas built their great and powerful empires subsisting on ancient corns. All of the Asias subsisted on rice. Europe and the Middle East subsisted on wheat, barley, rye, oats.

The powerful huge armies of our known history conquered the world, lived hard and strong lives, conquered, all on a cheap diet of grain.

The Egyptians built their pyramids by manual laborers subsisting on a partially fermented gruel of oats and water.

I believe that you are confusing the word “grain” with the white heavily yeasted bread in commercial supermarkets.

This world was civilized and subdued by powerful men on a cheap diet of primarily grain, with supplementary foods of other varieties.

The Roman legions subsisted on 3 to 4 pounds of grain a day. The Mayans, Aztecs, Incas built their great and powerful empires subsisting on ancient corns. All of the Asias subsisted on rice. Europe and the Middle East subsisted on wheat, barley, rye, oats.

The powerful huge armies of our known history conquered the world, lived hard and strong lives, conquered, all on a cheap diet of grain.

The Egyptians built their pyramids by manual laborers subsisting on a partially fermented gruel of oats and water.

I believe that you are confusing the word “grain” with the white heavily yeasted bread in commercial supermarkets.

This world was civilized and subdued by powerful men on a cheap diet of primarily grain, with supplementary foods of other varieties.
Except your forgetting one major thing in regards to today's grains....The majority are genetically modified. They are not the pure, heirloom varietal that were consumed by these ancient civilizations thousands of years ago.

I doubt the Aztecs and Mayans were using "Minute Rice" boil in the bag quinoa, or Uncle Ben's Microwavable brown rice in a bag loaded with sodium and other very unnatural preservatives. The majority of population don't know, they see fast and convenient and will opt for those items as opposed to the organic/heirloom type of rice and grains that actually do take time to make.

Except your forgetting one major thing in regards to today's grains....The majority are genetically modified. They are not the pure, heirloom varietal that were consumed by these ancient civilizations thousands of years ago.

I doubt the Aztecs and Mayans were using "Minute Rice" boil in the bag quinoa, or Uncle Ben's Microwavable brown rice in a bag loaded with sodium and other very unnatural preservatives. The majority of population don't know, they see fast and convenient and will opt for those items as opposed to the organic/heirloom type of rice and grains that actually do take time to make.
Rice cookers. I know them well.

Rice cookers. I know them well.
I use mine a lot.
The absolutely best way to make rice, quinoa, etc.
If anyone plans to buy one go to HMART and not Bed&Bath and the like.

The one I got is a KT (whatever that means). Well designed — even has a little cup like thing that mounts on the hinged cover so when you open it any condensate runs into the little cup that can be removed and drained later instead of running all over the place where you have the device.
Another approach is next time you go to an AMP look at what the girls are using. Even better talk to girls at an AMP in flushing — sold everywhere there. They will get a kick out of you wanting one and will enthusiastically help you pick right one.

Once you're used it you will kick yourself for ever trying to cook grains in a pot on the stove.

Put the rice in, water ( I sometimes use broth), close the top, press button — red LED turns on. Automatically cooks to perfection, and when done turns off and goes to keep warm mode (red LED turns off and green turns on). My model has nonstick removable pot.

I think it was 30 bucks or so. Lasts forever. Trust me — not one of those appliances that you bought because you thought it was a good idea at the time, used couple times and it ends up stored in your cabinet never to be used again.

Also, do not use Uncle Bens brown (and espcially) white rice. Pick up some short grain brown rice (use scoop how much you want and they weight it at cashier. ) Very tasty and almost nutty flavor.