Information on asparagus and urine

Just some little known facts regarding asparagus' effect on pee that you can impress your friends with:rolleyes:.

There are genes that allow a human to:

cause pee to stink with odor of asparagus (I have that gene and even if I eat one stalk within 20 minutes my pee has intense asparagus odor. The odor is gone after 3rd pee. The OR2M7 gene controls this. (I have this gene, so does my kid)

cause pee not to stink of asparagus odor. (my SO says her pee does not have the odor)

cause olfactory nerves not to smell odor of asparagus in pee. So its possible your pee stinks but unless someone tells you you will not know it.

cause olfactory nerves to smell asparagus odor in pee. (me, my SO and my kid )

So there are 4 permutations:
pee stink, no smell it
pee stink, smell it
pee no stink, no smell it
pee, no stink, no smell it

So if your pee doesn't stink of asparagus and you cant smell the odor you will not get the joke of post #1390 — until now:)

Ps. I have found that people at a party you may be attending where asparagus is served do not appreciate you spouting off these facts. Go figure.

Just some little known facts regarding asparagus' effect on pee that you can impress your friends with:rolleyes:.

cause pee to stink with odor of asparagus (I have that gene and even if I eat one stalk within 20 minutes my pee has intense asparagus odor. The odor is gone after 3rd pee. The OR2M7 gene controls this. (I have this gene, so does my kid)

cause pee not to stink of asparagus odor. (my SO says her pee does not have the odor)

cause olfactory nerves not to smell odor of asparagus in pee. So its possible your pee stinks but unless someone tells you you will not know it.

pee stink, no smell it
pee stink, smell it

So if your pee doesn't stink of asparagus and you cant smell the odor you will not get the joke of post #1390 — until now:)

Ps. I have found that people at a party you may be attending where asparagus is served do not appreciate you spouting off these facts. Go figure.
Is the OR2M7 gene famous good or bad for anything else in the human DNA?

Threw a low key dinner party with some friends a few years ago, made "Spring Vegetable" gazpacho shooters. Nice asparagus tips, green peas, shallots, mint, coconut milk. You could imagine the conversations after my friends left about how their piss stunk.

The wild asparagus root (asparagus racemosis) is also highly touted in Chinese and Ayurvedic traditional medicines. Known as shatavari in Ayurveda and Tian Men Dong in TCM, Traditional Chinese Medicine.

Although considered an aphrodisiac, it is generally more for women. It keeps them moist internally. In Hindi, shatavari (asparagus root) literally means “possessing 100 husbands.”

Is the OR2M7 gene famous good or bad for anything else in the human DNA?
From what I understand it is only involved in olfactory functions. As far as the effect on urine, I don't know if scientists know (or even care to know) what genes affect that.

My original post was only meant to explain why some UG'ers will not get the joke of #1390 in thread:
https://utopiaguide.pl/forums/index...read.54728/page-70#lg=attachment11047&slide=0

Ps. A mod decided to title and move my post to this new god awful named thread — Information on asparagus and urine — really?:rolleyes:

I have found that eating asparagus raw lessens the potency of the smell than if it were cooked. Unsure why this is the case.

Now I'm craving asparagus.

Hate asparagus.
What about the pineapple myth?
Years ago I was in Cambodia and met this girl that loved to swallow. I was eating pineapple like crazy and she said she didn't like the taste. I'm guessing it was simply some other factors in my diet or dehydration that caused it, but I found it odd. I still eat pineapple when I know I will be mongering a bunch. Who knows.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Hate asparagus.
What about the pineapple myth?
Years ago I was in Cambodia and met this girl that loved to swallow. I was eating pineapple like crazy and she said she didn't like the taste. I'm guessing it was simply some other factors in my diet or dehydration that caused it, but I found it odd. I still eat pineapple when I know I will be mongering a bunch. Who knows.
Yeah I've heard from multiple sources (pro's, civilian, online articles) that pineapple make the swimmers taste good

pee stink, no smell it
pee stink, smell it

The bigger question is will it give you funky spunk.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Cream of Asparagus soup is the best!
Doesn't sound appetizing. To me some vegetables don't belong in soup, corn, broccoli, asparagus.

It seems like people are rediscovering asparagus and brussel sprouts as tasty vegetables because we are roasting or steaming them and serving them crispy as opposed to the days of our youth when they were blanched and came out soggy and disgusting.

Which is why I don't think putting them in a soup doesn't makes sense. Unless you like them soggy.

Doesn't sound appetizing. To me some vegetables don't belong in soup, corn, broccoli, asparagus.

It seems like people are rediscovering asparagus and brussel sprouts as tasty vegetables because we are roasting or steaming them and serving them crispy as opposed to the days of our youth when they were blanched and came out soggy and disgusting.

Which is why I don't think putting them in a soup doesn't makes sense. Unless you like them soggy.
I make roasted brussel sprouts, cauliflower and onions. Throw in a couple of unpeeled garlic cloves (toss them when done — only for flavor). Very easy to make and filling (as are the soups using potatoes to thicken). sometimes, when the stink of my pee doesn't matter, I throw in asparagus too. I put everything on parchment paper so cleanup is just dumping the paper in trash — the shallow roasting pan (must use shallow one or the steam generated takes longer to escape and the the vegetables end up getting steamed instead of roasted) is clean.

Yes, it is a good soup. But, I prefer it made with potatoes for the creaminess, instead of a milk base. Lots of black pepper, on the salty side, with leeks. Bonappetit!!!
Yeah, I prefer potatoes to make soups creamy. Best potatoes for that are yukon gold or russet. Yeah, a great soup is leek/potato soup.

@mugi I'm surprised you didn't mention freshly ground black cumin seed in addition to the pepper.

Once I discovered the immersion blender instead of using the glass contain type (pain to clean and its a big production to to do the blending, cleaning etc.) where I just blend the soup right in the pot I'm cooking it in. When done stick the working end in a cup of water, pulse a couple of times and it's clean.

To you single guys: learn who to cook. For some reason when you 1st meet someone telling them you are a good cook and invite them over for a great home cooked meal they think you are a special type of guy and not some pervert who posts on UG.

I've actually picked up women at the grocery store, sparked up a conversation, they would glance at some of the stuff in my cart and I would tell them the wonderful meals I was going to make with the stuff. Hint: pay attention to how you are dressed and groomed when you go shopping.

Pick out a good wine and you have them on your turf. My getting laid rate was almost 100% — I had a much lower success rate at bars and clubs. Of course no asparagus.

I make roasted brussel sprouts, cauliflower and onions. Throw in a couple of unpeeled garlic cloves (toss them when done — only for flavor). Very easy to make and filling (as are the soups using potatoes to thicken). sometimes, when the stink of my pee doesn't matter, I throw in asparagus too. I put everything on parchment paper so cleanup is just dumping the paper in trash — the shallow roasting pan (must use shallow one or the steam generated takes longer to escape and the the vegetables end up getting steamed instead of roasted) is clean.

Yeah, I prefer potatoes to make soups creamy. Best potatoes for that are yukon gold or russet. Yeah, a great soup is leek/potato soup.

@mugi I'm surprised you didn't mention freshly ground black cumin seed in addition to the pepper.

Once I discovered the immersion blender instead of using the glass contain type (pain to clean and its a big production to to do the blending, cleaning etc.) where I just blend the soup right in the pot I'm cooking it in. When done stick the working end in a cup of water, pulse a couple of times and it's clean.

To you single guys: learn who to cook. For some reason when you 1st meet someone telling them you are a good cook and invite them over for a great home cooked meal they think you are a special type of guy and not some pervert who posts on UG.

I've actually picked up women at the grocery store, sparked up a conversation, they would glance at some of the stuff in my cart and I would tell them the wonderful meals I was going to make with the stuff. Hint: pay attention to how you are dressed and groomed when you go shopping.

Pick out a good wine and you have them on your turf. My getting laid rate was almost 100% — I had a much lower success rate at bars and clubs. Of course no asparagus.
@genius, I tell you, this is gold. Picturing you well-dressed in Whole Foods with a shopping cart filled with delectables, approaching women in line, wooing them, and inviting them for supper. (LMAO)

But, I have to appreciate a guy like you, knowing the specifics of fine ingredients like Yukon Gold potatoes, fresh ground cumin,
clove or two of unpeeled garlic.

But, what fine French soup would be complete without being coupled with a lightly toasted baguette, drizzled with cold-pressed virgin olive oil, a garlic rub, sprinkle of Parmesan, grind of black peppercorns and an arugula salad.

And, your culinary laid rate versus the nightclubs — awesome!!!

I’m a New England clam chowders guy myself

"Let food be your medicine, or medicine will be your food"

This is a modified version of a quote from Hippocrates, which I espouse to others.

Good to see folks here are healthy in many ways.

It is my favorite soup and it is absolutely delicious. Try it if you see it on a menu somewhere or even open up a can of Campbell's.

I’m a New England clam chowders guy myself
I like a New England clam chowder, too. But, again, I would try and eliminate the milk, and go with a creamy potato base. (specifically Yukon Gold as per @genius)

At 16, after a short stint as a grill man at McDonald’s, I graduated to being a grill man and short order cook (ice cream scooper and sundae chief) at the famous Friendly’s chain of restaurants, out of Massachusetts.

New England clam chowder was a staple on the menu there with a thick potato and milk base. It was quite a thick chowder, and a popular item. Very satisfying with a BLT, or two, or three.

More of a plant-based guy now, but back in the 70’s, a bowl of New England clam chowder always accompanied my sandwich and fries on long shifts at Friendly’s.

We, the boys and I would keep lookout for each other, as we entered and stayed in the walk-in freezer, while we downed extra sandwiches and milkshakes and scoops of ice cream, away from the scrutiny of the thrifty store manager. (stealing food could get you fired)

No wonder I was almost 300 pounds in those days, playing defensive and offensive tackle on the football team. My restaurant jobs allowed me to store some much needed bulk for the position.

(I preferred the dairy-based chowder back then for the extra protein in the weight room)