If we had a GTG, what UG character would you like to have a beer with?

justme

homo economicus
King Otis was a wonderful writer. He made me feel like I was there with his writing style. Hope he is well. Happy New Year to all you guys and girls. There isn’t one of you that I wouldn’t like to have a beer with!
Second best whoreboard writer, imho.

justme

homo economicus
@Massy would definitely be an interesting character to meet.

I remember when I went to my first UG party I had a list of people in my head I wanted to meet.

The one I really wanted to meet was justlooking. I found out after one of them he was there but just hanging back anomalously, he had asked people who knew him not to say anything.
Good instincts… he was even funnier in person.

Oddly enough, for myself, it would almost be redundant meeting the troops in the flesh. I believe that I do have a pretty good sense of the members.

People here tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves, and they remain fairly consistent.

This quote by Emerson is helpful in describing how I feel about my relation with the members, not yet meeting them in the flesh:

“Who you are speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you're saying.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

To add another dimension and without being insulting would be curious if we could take a stab at guessing what each other looks like in person - “unmasked.” Some of the responses could be hilariously off or spot on. Not sure if this is a forbidden topic or not.

Oddly enough, for myself, it would almost be redundant meeting the troops in the flesh. I believe that I do have a pretty good sense of the members.

People here tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves, and they remain fairly consistent.

This quote by Emerson is helpful in describing how I feel about my relation with the members, not yet meeting them in the flesh:

“Who you are speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you're saying.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
While I agree with your statement, people wear their hearts on their sleeve, ( and one can get a sense of ‘who/what that persons really is), I do find imagination can make one envision a UG’er based on their handle… and be completely wrong- should they find out more or meet that person

While I agree with your statement, people wear their hearts on their sleeve, ( and one can get a sense of ‘who/what that persons really is), I do find imagination can make one envision a UG’er based on their handle… and be completely wrong- should they find out more or meet that person
Totally right. Imagination distorts.

The key is to hold imagination in abeyance and go with your first impression before thoughts reach back into memory, superimposing the past on the present.

Not at all. Some of the guesses might be fun.
I am not sure where this is going.

Are we entertaining, before a physical meeting, that on this site, one would attempt to describe merely from one’s volume of posts, what another’s appearance and mannerisms might be?

To some extent, members have already expressed their approximate age and exercise program, body types, hair color, beards.

I’ll start…
All observations/thoughts are made with the highest degree of respect …

@mugi… or may I refer to you as Mugi San.. Initial thoughts sometime ago led me to think you were of Asian descent, with a background in Chinese medicine. Highly intellectual. Prior to your comment made sometime ago indicating your Italian heritage, I associated you with the great Pat Morita and his character, Mr. Miyagi ok Karate Kid.

@billys…The Dean of Schools.. The Proctor, or maybe just the Principal.. Respected, feared…. I’m going to leave it at that, as I enjoy the board and prefer not to get banned for life..
:)

Have a great day fellas

billyS

Reign of Terror
I’ll start…
@billys…The Dean of Schools.. The Proctor, or maybe just the Principal.. Respected, feared…. I’m going to leave it at that, as I enjoy the board and prefer not to get banned for life.
Lol, I invited this so no one is going to get banned.

Pretty far off though. My current UG persona doesn't match my real life one. I'm much easier going in real life.

On this subject, when I first met Kimmie/NYVanessa she was looking at me as she opened the door.
Now you have to understand we sparred constantly for years before this meet.
UG was a rougher place back then.
She laughed a little and said I was nothing like she expected. She told me she was expecting Tony Saprano.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Totally right. Imagination distorts.

The key is to hold imagination in abeyance and go with your first impression before thoughts reach back into memory superimposing the past.

Are we entertaining, before a physical meeting, that on this site, one would attempt to describe merely from one’s volume of posts, what another’s appearance and mannerisms might be?
So it seems to you like when you read a book and create the characters in your head. Then when they make a movie out of the book you have to reconcile the actors with said characters.

The answer to the second paragraph is a simple yes.

It’s a good start.

But, I was looking for more specifics like a police composite sketch, gait, demeanor, body type, ethnicity, complexion, type of eye movement and gaze or lack thereof, steadiness or nervousness, quickness or fixity.

Because, we already have the personality profile and habit patterns of the individuals. That has been given to us in great detail.

We are going to the next level of making a positive physical ID from the known facts.

The question is, given all the known aspects of the individual from so many posts, can anyone accurately create an accurate picture of the person’s physical structure and appearance?

So it seems to you like when you read a book and create the characters in your head. Then when they make a movie out of the book you have to reconcile the actors with said characters.

The answer to the second paragraph is a simple yes.
No, the book and movie analogy does not apply.

With regard to Mugi I would say he is a bespectacled white male who is sporting a beard in his mid to late 60s. He is 5’ 6” and weighs 140lbs and is bald. I’m trying to fight the stereotype of what a philosopher looks like. Although he is steeped in Asian philosophy he is at heart a Stoic who from time to time cannot exercise self control and gives into Hedonism but it is a religious experience for him and he realizes he can be responsible with his desires but he watches his lust very carefully - similar to a cat waiting for a mouse to come out of its hole - because he understands the dangers of being pulled into this vortex.

Well, you got the personality quite right.

Your analysis of the personality and my motives are highly accurate. And, your recall and impressions conveyed in words are quite astute, precision and written with clarity. Thank you.

However, the physical description is off. Much bigger, huskier, not bald, scruffy, taller; could work in Home Depot.

My writing belies my appearance and even my speech. My writing is far more deliberate and careful, simply because I went to a Catholic grammar school, and writing was strictly emphasized.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Well, you got the personality quite right.

Your analysis of the personality and my motives are highly accurate. And, your recall and impressions conveyed in words are quite astute, precision and written with clarity. Thank you.

However, the physical description is off. Much bigger, huskier, not bald, scruffy, taller; could work in Home Depot.

My writing belies my appearance and even my speech. My writing is far more deliberate and careful, simply because I went to a Catholic grammar school, and writing was strictly emphasized.
Just going from your writings, before you described yourself as an ex 300lb football lineman of Italian descent, eating mostly grains and little meat I had a completely different picture on my head.

I pictured you an older (late 60's) Asian man but who could pass for younger. A wirery build, slim but toned at about 5'4". Bald, glasses, retired.
Sitting in a Starbucks on an IPAD typing tomes on UG all day while sipping the latest exotic brews from Columbia or Peru in a ceramic mug.

Just going from your writings, before you described yourself as an ex 300lb football lineman of Italian descent, eating mostly grains and little meat I had a completely different picture on my head.

I pictured you an older (late 60's) Asian man but who could pass for younger. A wirery build, slim but toned at about 5'4". Bald, glasses, retired.
Sitting in a Starbucks on an IPAD typing tomes on UG all day while sipping the latest exotic brews from Columbia or Peru in a ceramic mug.
I kind of operate on both ends of the spectrum, depending on the situation.

I have many different appearances. In Asia I can lose 20 to 30 pounds in a month and become a swimmer.

In New York, I bulk up and exercise and build muscle.

I shave my head sometimes and then grow out the scalp and facial hair, uncombed and unruly.

But, now for you. And, I don’t want to cheat and appear smart. You mentioned recently that you sport a closely cropped beard. You also mentioned at one time a somewhat less than full head of hair.

Aside from what appears like a rather fiery but fair type A personality, that is all I know to be factual.

My impression of your physical appearance is just 6 feet or slightly below, whitish complexion, but blood-rich blush, heavier build (strong) in appearance but not carrying a bloated belly, but with strong upper body, larger hands and forearms. Maybe sometimes shave the head. Dress is casual, jeans simple tee shirt.

Early 60’s. Far more careful now, but in earlier years, confident in a fight which you were ready for after some beer, and loud and gung-ho with friends in the street or in the bar. Ready and willing for any female sexual experience, when young, and even a bit of an exhibitionist.

Now, because of some health problems experienced earlier in life, due to over-activity and neglect of sound healthy principles, you adhere to programs advised by leading physicians and the popular accepted practices of our day. But, you secretly investigate possibilities that are off-the-beaten-path, but you remain skeptical.

You are open to new ideas but at the same time entrenched in the traditional American way.

As you get older, you are opening up to trying other means less endorsed by the norms as a possibility, especially when you are unsatisfied fully with prior results.