I received a phone call from a police department how to proceed?

You could also have a trusted friend or confidant if you’re afraid to call with a blocked number call back the exact number that said New York City Police Department. See if that number goes direct to the detectives or to Domestic Violence. Sure it could be a spoof call, but it also could be something completely unrelated to this hobby.

I actually get calls from out of state claiming that I need to contact them right away and threatening me if I don't. I do call the number back and tell them to stop fucking calling me and hang up. No further issues.

Ignore it! Clearly fake, the police will never call you and say they want to talk, or they're looking for you. The police #1 thing when they want to talk to to someone whether witness or suspect is they like the element of surprise.
I'm my experience not true. In my youth I was acting inappropriately to a neighbor and they called me in. Also, I received calls concerning my son that they were looking for him and they were.

They will try and do the phone call thing, for one it's an easy low effort thing.

If you call back then you're more likely to voluntarily come in to answer a few questions, and they can arrange a convenient time for you. Or it might just be something that can be resolved simply enough to get a lead on something else via a phone call.

Could also be that they don't have enough info to do anything formal and are just fishing and it might get them something. This happened with my brother years ago, when the SCPD found out my brother and a person that they had as a suspect in another "serious crime" had a fist fight a few years previously - apparently another person the SCPD was questioning regarding the crime spree brought up the incident between my brother and the suspect; SCPD was hoping my brother might be able to give SCPD info about their suspect. Unfortunately other than my brother stating he was an asshole and the reason for the fist fight on that one occasion, my brother knew nothing about him. The guy (now suspect in another crime) threw the first punch, my brother won and wasn't hurt so he wasn't interested in pursuing charges, or even getting the police involved. However the police were hoping that my brother would have more info about the guy in general which he couldn't help them on.

A story:

Guy I knew said a cop came to his door and asked for someone — say for this post "John Smith".
Guy said John is a 16 year old kid, lives next door. So cop goes next door.

About 10 minutes later guy is walking dog outside and sees cop heading back to patrol car and said "did you get to talk to John.

cop says "Yes but I find it hard to believe what just happened. I knocked on the door, an older guy answered, I asked for John smith. The older guy said 'I'm his father', turned around and yelled 'John. someone is here to talk to you'. The older guy then left and went back to whatever he was doing and I waited for John Smith"

I wasn't. So I don't know how they got my number. I was in flushing. They called my Google voice number and also my main cell number. In fact as of writing this they just called me again. Should I pick up the phone to hear them out?
No, don't engage.Theyll want to you to come in and talk and you will be arrested. Do not respond to any stray calls either.