I love my Iphone...

i know there is already an iphone thread but now that I have had for over a year I can't imagine life without it. It is perfect for me, I can check my multiple emails, click on a number to call, go into my yahoo classic to send my signature and now I can cut and paste pics and documents and record memos. I know it was not meant for just for working girls but it seems like it is, I feel like I just came out of the dark ages. If there is one suggestion I can make to a email only provider is get a Iphone !!
Here's another bit of technology that might make your life even easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDSyJl04Rko

They really make it enticing to have one, lots of upgrades you can get on your computer, free applications and AT&T customer service is much nicer than Sprint.

My friend has Sprint and he was out of work lost his phone and I gave him my former phone the I930 and they told him no because it's a Nextel phone but it takes Sprint service and was bought through Sprint and Nextel is part fo Sprint, they will rip you off any chance they can get. I used to periodically call and curse them out to get out of my contract, I heard they were dumping rude clients.
Same company but two different wireless networks. CDMA vs iDEN

She could see where I am, if she knew the password and how to access the software.

Just i case, I'll probably turn off the "find me" feature before I go anyplace that I shouldn't be. Though, I can usually find a poker game close enough to where I am to claim that's where I was.

Kelly, it's a "find me now" feature. Meant to be used if you lose the iPhone. You can log into your account online and see where the iPhone is. But for it to work you need the following...
1. You have to have a MobileMe account. $99/year
2. That feature needs to be manually turned on.
3. The phone has to be on.
In the new 3GS 16 or 32 Gig versions the phone does not have to be turned on for it to work. It can be turned on remotely. PLUS you can cause a REWARD alert to flash on the screen so it might be recovered my someone if it is far away, or if it appears that it is never coming back, remotely wipe and reset the phone to factory specs, removing all personal info, files, etc, from the phone in the process.

Given the faster processor, the increased RAM, the support for MS exchange mail, MS Office [separate software, but available] and some other 'why did it take so long" additions like UMTS [3G wireless] support, tethering, and FINALLY cut and paste, I may break down and get a IPhone myself.

no keyboard on the I-Phone. thats a deal killer right there for me.

WM6 has several aps that do what waterclone talks about, (no $99 fee either).

I think apple has much better marketing though so people tend to end up with the i-phone.
There is no phone app for MS WM6 based phones I know of that allows one to log into a website and locate the location of the phone on a map, remotely, from anywhere in the world.

The only ones I am aware of use SMS texting to triangulate a location from cell towers transmitting the text messages. The problem besides alerting any potential thief, its it requires the phone be on to receive the messages. The method the IPhone uses takes advantage of GPS trackiing.

If you know of one please bring me up to speed.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
In the new 3GS 16 or 32 Gig versions the phone does not have to be turned on for it to work. It can be turned on remotely. PLUS you can cause a REWARD alert to flash on the screen so it might be recovered my someone if it is far away, or if it appears that it is never coming back, remotely wipe and reset the phone to factory specs, removing all personal info, files, etc, from the phone in the process.
I am very sure that this is wrong. The "Locate My iPhone" feature needs the phone to be on. There is no way to remotely turn on a phone that is off. What you may be thinking of is that you can send that reward alert message and it will make an audible sound, even if the ringer is turned off.

There is no phone app for MS WM6 based phones I know of that allows one to log into a website and locate the location of the phone on a map, remotely, from anywhere in the world.

The only ones I am aware of use SMS texting to triangulate a location from cell towers transmitting the text messages. The problem besides alerting any potential thief, its it requires the phone be on to receive the messages. The method the IPhone uses takes advantage of GPS trackiing.

Remote Tracker for WM uses the internal GPS, you do have to send a text message to the phone though. http://remotetracker.sourceforge.net/

There is also Phone Creeper for WM that allows you to "spy" on a WM phone. http://www.wmexperts.com/phone-crepper-creepy

Last edited:

accutracker is one of several GPS tracking services that i use. see http://www.accutracking.com/

another is http://www.instamapper.com/ but im not certain about the wm6 platform for this service.

also dont forget about google mobile maps "Latitude" you can set up your phone so your friends can see exactly where you are via GPS if you permit them. see http://www.google.com/mobile/default/latitude.html

Has anyone tried the Skype app? If you are in a WiFi area, you call any where in the world for free or for a marginal fee and talk for as long as you want and not use any of your minutes.

Last edited:
I am very sure that this is wrong. The "Locate My iPhone" feature needs the phone to be on. There is no way to remotely turn on a phone that is off. What you may be thinking of is that you can send that reward alert message and it will make an audible sound, even if the ringer is turned off.
Nope.

I know this not to be the case as I have purchased an iPhone 3G S [32 gig] and have a MobileMe account. I have tested the locate phone with the iPhone definately turned in what they define as off [I am sure that isn't everything off, but it is the setting which requires the power on/down button to be held until the unit soft resets back to "on" mode.

In this powered down setting MobileMe from a remote site can locate the phone and flash the screen message. I didn't test the remote wipe function as I was too lazy to want to have to install the backup after any wipe, but given that everything else worked I am sure this would work as well.

Remote Tracker for WM uses the internal GPS, you do have to send a text message to the phone though. http://remotetracker.sourceforge.net/

There is also Phone Creeper for WM that allows you to "spy" on a WM phone. http://www.wmexperts.com/phone-crepper-creepy
Seriously creepy that last one.

It requires that you have access to the phone to install it but if it really does what it says it can do that is one nasty bugger for anyone's Missus to install on Hubby's phone [or vice-versa]. {UGH}

Nope.

I know this not to be the case as I have purchased an iPhone 3G S [32 gig] and have a MobileMe account. I have tested the locate phone with the iPhone definately turned in what they define as off [I am sure that isn't everything off, but it is the setting which requires the power on/down button to be held until the unit soft resets back to "on" mode.

In this powered down setting MobileMe from a remote site can locate the phone and flash the screen message. I didn't test the remote wipe function as I was too lazy to want to have to install the backup after any wipe, but given that everything else worked I am sure this would work as well.
Could it have been telling you the last location you were at? Have you tried turning it off with the "slide to power off" swipe and changing locations and looking at the locate phone? I know a few years ago one of the phone reps told me about having the GPS on full time for Emergency Services but I don't think it went into effect. That would also eat the battery almost as fast as having wifi on all the time.

Could it have been telling you the last location you were at? Have you tried turning it off with the "slide to power off" swipe and changing locations and looking at the locate phone? I know a few years ago one of the phone reps told me about having the GPS on full time for Emergency Services but I don't think it went into effect. That would also eat the battery almost as fast as having wifi on all the time.
Its "suppose" to be a power on function of the radio receiver for the phone service that powers on the device and then receives the gps locate and other commands.

I'd have to get into the wiring specs to be sure that is actually the case and I have no desire to get that in depth into just now.