HR 1865, "FOSTA"

The elimination of human trafficking is noble and worthy goal. But. . . . .

I have seen many human trafficking documentaries on HBO, VICE, etc. I also recently had to take a human trafficking HR presentation for my job. And without fail their definition of human trafficking departs from mine. It starts to include things like day laborers who may or may not work for the landscaping company that does my lawn, or the contractor who did my roof last year.

Now I find myself participating in the world of human trafficking, not for my mongering, but for any and all home improvements.

No one should be forced into providing sexual acts against their will. But by conflating willing transactions with human trafficking I feel it makes a mockery of those who are really being forced.

I have seen many human trafficking documentaries on HBO, VICE, etc. I also recently had to take a human trafficking HR presentation for my job. And without fail their definition of human trafficking departs from mine. It starts to include things like day laborers who may or may not work for the landscaping company that does my lawn, or the contractor who did my roof last year.

Now I find myself participating in the world of human trafficking, not for my mongering, but for any and all home improvements.

No one should be forced into providing sexual acts against their will. But by conflating willing transactions with human trafficking I feel it makes a mockery of those who are really being forced.
Never thought of it like that. Now I’m going to keep an eye out

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist

Human Trafficking is a real thing! But like you said, my definition is far different from theirs. If someone is being forced into sexual servitude in any way, shape, or form… or someone is being forced to complete laborious tasks that they aren’t being compensated for and/or are being abused in one way or another, that would be what I would consider HT…

As mongers, I feel like y’all have an unspoken responsibility to find a way to report HT to law enforcement when you suspect that someone is in trouble. It’s rare that I say that someone should go to the cops about anything, but when you know someone’s life and livelihood are in real danger, your moral responsibility should out weigh your own fear of getting in any trouble.

I took a course in identifying victims of human trafficking and it baffled me how nearly all of the tips could be used to harass consensual sex workers. Carrying large amounts of $, having different men come in and out of a hotel room / apartment, carrying condoms...and the advice to the budding white knight is to call the police immediately! I think that the majority of johns/providers are vehemently opposed to trafficking, it's a major issue, but a lot of organisations are using that fear to target sex workers (not just in the US, but in places with way more lenient legality, like Sweden, UK, France)...I'm of the mind that the best way to prevent trafficking would be to decriminalise/destigmatise sex work, but that seems a long way off, unfortunately :/

Just came across this thread....Something to add that happened to me at company. A guy walked in saying he noticed my help wanted sign proceeded to tell me he has a few people that need work then went into tell me that they would work off the books for less than state wage bells rang asked him to leave. At that time I did not really think...but after reading this thread It fell into place he was labor trafficking wished I knew this then I would have called LE ...

Just came across this thread....Something to add that happened to me at company. A guy walked in saying he noticed my help wanted sign proceeded to tell me he has a few people that need work then went into tell me that they would work off the books for less than state wage bells rang asked him to leave. At that time I did not really think...but after reading this thread It fell into place he was labor trafficking wished I knew this then I would have called LE ...
Never call LE. Never

I operate clean business's and tend to keep it that way. The guy was offering workers below state/federal wage which is Human Trafficking which could have brought heat down on me if somone found out I am going to lose evrything I have because of it. Exactly What If someone found out reported it worse one what if someone knew he came to me and did not report it either way I am glad that niether happened.

Back in the day when I ran my company, twice a year I would need to get all the florescent lights changed way up high in the ceiling of the factory area, vacuum the AC/heating ducts and other periodic low skill maintenance jobs. I would go on a hot day to "the corner" in a certain area of Farmingdale where the shape-up day laborers guys would wait for the roofing contractors. I would tell them exacly what I needed done (I had a list written both in English and Spanish) and it was in an air conditioned factory, that I would only hire someone who would show me id and a green card (most of them "forgot" such at home but a coupl, maybe 1 of 10, had them) and I would let them tell me what they would be willing to accept for the job and I picked (not always the lowest bid) the guy I felt was best for the job. Ended up about 2X min wage in cash.

I would make a copy and file id and green card, pay them in cash and run it properly thru the books (under $600 per year no legal need for 1099's).

Every one of them over the years, when I paid them at the end of the day, would give me their #'s and ask me to call them the next time such services were needed. So I can only assume this was a WIN-WIN situation for us both.

Back in the day when I ran my company, twice a year I would need to get all the florescent lights changed way up high in the ceiling of the factory area, vacuum the AC/heating ducts and other periodic low skill maintenance jobs. I would go on a hot day to "the corner" in a certain area of Farmingdale where the shape-up day laborers guys would wait for the roofing contractors. I would tell them exacly what I needed done (I had a list written both in English and Spanish) and it was in an air conditioned factory, that I would only hire someone who would show me id and a green card (most of them "forgot" such at home but a coupl, maybe 1 of 10, had them) and I would let them tell me what they would be willing to accept for the job and I picked (not always the lowest bid) the guy I felt was best for the job. Ended up about 2X min wage in cash.

I would make a copy and file id and green card, pay them in cash and run it properly thru the books (under $600 per year no legal need for 1099's).

Every one of them over the years, when I paid them at the end of the day, would give me their #'s and ask me to call them the next time such services were needed. So I can only assume this was a WIN-WIN situation for us both.
You are a smooth operator Sir.

A few years back a contractor buddy used to stop at a 7/11 and pick up day workers till oned day a police officer pulled up to him said it against the law to do so he jsut left never to do it again never did find out if was legal or not but payong someone off the books is cause you are not payng tax and you know for sure they do not know anything about a 1099. My landscaper only hires American citizens and can prove it he does not even want any heat.......

A few years back a contractor buddy used to stop at a 7/11 and pick up day workers till oned day a police officer pulled up to him said it against the law to do so he jsut left never to do it again never did find out if was legal or not but payong someone off the books is cause you are not payng tax and you know for sure they do not know anything about a 1099. My landscaper only hires American citizens and can prove it he does not even want any heat.......
I wish I could afford a landscaper. After mongering there’s nothing left.