HMB Supplement

I scrolled back and see you have it at breakfast.
It dissolves in the oat milk?
unsweetened soy milk and the creatine dissolves immediately and completely (its obvious as it is white and rest of stuff is darker)

I find oat milk is too thin and too low on protein, e.g. the unsweetened soy milk has 4.5g fat, 2g fiber and 7g protein whereas the unsweetened oat milk (my SO uses) 1.5g fat, <1g fiber and 0g protein.

When I have my high protein cereal with unsweetened soy milk , wheat germ and ground flax seed with lots of fresh berries I am good until a late lunch w/o any snacking.

If you do any baking as I do, oat bran muffins, whole wheat waffles (eggo's whole wheat waffles are a joke) and pancakes ,the oat milk doesn't work any better than water and soy works as good as dairy.

I have never seen creatine dissolve and I don't think it does.
I Googled: "does creatine dissolve"
Google came up with: "Yes, creatine is most commonly taken by mixing it in water. Especially if you're mixing micronized creatine into warm water, it should dissolve very well. "

Anyway

There is a 5g scope in the container and I just dump contents of a scoop right in the middle of my cereal then put wheatgerm, flax, and berries on top. I fold everything together with a teaspoon (maybe 3 folding actions), add soy milk, and then eat. Maybe it doesn't totally dissolve (I can't tell) but I never see any clumps of creatine.

I Googled: "does creatine dissolve"
Google came up with: "Yes, creatine is most commonly taken by mixing it in water. Especially if you're mixing micronized creatine into warm water, it should dissolve very well. "

Anyway

There is a 5g scope in the container and I just dump contents of a scoop right in the middle of my cereal then put wheatgerm, flax, and berries on top. I fold everything together with a teaspoon (maybe 3 folding actions), add soy milk, and then eat. Maybe it doesn't totally dissolve (I can't tell) but I never see any clumps of creatine.
I use it with my whey protein in either water or milk and I have never seen it dissolve. It always stays granular and you can feel it on your tongue. Nor does it clump. But I see you mentioned warm water which I never used. So maybe that's the secret to dissolving it.

billyS

Reign of Terror
So based on the last few posts by @genius and @The Exiled and some conversations with a coach I decided to try Creatine again.
I'm in the second week of the loading phase so we'll see what happens by the end of May.

I take it daily not just when I work out.
On days I work out I mix in the scoop with my Whey protein(Thorne Whey Protein Isolate 25 g ) and take it immediately after the workout and on recovery days I mix it with a Casein (ON 24g) and have it in the morning.

The results will be measurable as I track what I lift and have numbers to compare to.

So based on the last few posts by @genius and @The Exiled and some conversations with a coach I decided to try Creatine again.
I'm in the second week of the loading phase so we'll see what happens by the end of May.

I take it daily not just when I work out.
On days I work out I mix in the scoop with my Whey protein(Thorne Whey Protein Isolate 25 g ) and take it immediately after the workout and on recovery days I mix it with a Casein (ON 24g) and have it in the morning.

The results will be measurable as I track what I lift and have numbers to compare to.
From everything I've researched other than a little increase of water weight and muscle weight and a very nominal cost (90 days worth is $18 at Walmart) there is no down side.

decided to try Creatine again.
It's also real good for brain function. I didn't read this hole thread so this might have been said. It the most researched supplement there is. I'm drinking some right now.... I notice my thinking is way clearer.... plus the noticeable boost in the gym

billyS

Reign of Terror
Two weeks should be long enough to feel a difference. Do you find lifting the weights any easier?
After Fridays and yesterday's work outs I'd have to say the answer is a resounding yes.

Definitely surprised myself on how easily I moved a previous high on a back squat (barbell from rack, not a machine).

Also noticed later in one work out I was able to push out a few more reps while doing some dumbbell routines. I like to work to fatigue on certain movements and fatigue came later.

Ok latest update:

I'm probably 20 lbs increased in most of my machine weights ( the triceps machine I have maxed out the machine's weights there and have to add 10 lbs of the rubber encased weights I find lying around to it).

With my free weights, dumbbells and e-z bar curls, I've upped 15 lbs (which is a higher percentage than machines as I only started at 55lbs one arm row and good form curls.

Good form pushups (perfectly straight back, i.e., perfect plank posture but with straight arms, and chest slowly lowered to 1 inch of mat and slowly back up—about 2 sec per rep) have increased from 17 to 22.

All my routines are workout to fatigue and adding weight only after 2 successive sessions where I fatigue at 13 reps.

I've gained 5 lbs of body weight.

In my 1st post I typo'd 75 as my age — I will be 77 in a couple of months.

Conclusion: There is no doubt in my mind that middle aged and older guys should be mixing 5g creatine into their morning meal daily and working out with weight training several times a week to maintain muscle fitness as they age. From what I researched there is no benefit to creatine supplement w/o weight training and there is less benefit to younger guys. It's not magic.

“One study a few years ago found that some volunteers developed high levels of dihydrotestosterone while using creatine. This substance is implicated in enlarging the prostate and also causing baldness in men.Jan 9, 2024”

Anecdotally I've taken creatine in the past but definitely noticed hair thinning.

Granted male pattern baldness runs in the family, so i stopped. I might have very sensitive DHT receptors. It probably was just speeding up what as bound to happen.

relevant information: taking finasteride once EOD

Anecdotally I've taken creatine in the past but definitely noticed hair thinning.

Granted male pattern baldness runs in the family, so i stopped. I might have very sensitive DHT receptors. It probably was just speeding up what as bound to happen.

relevant information: taking finasteride once EOD
MY urologist told me that finasteride is taken by men to restore hair. It decreases the amount of a natural body hormone (DHT). Decreasing the amount of DHT leads to increased hair regrowth and slower hair loss. Hair growth on other parts of the body is not affected by finasteride.

Anyway, hair thinning (male pattern baldness as far as I know is prevented by correct choice of your mother's father (joking of course as that's where the problem gene comes from).

My mother's father died at a ripe old age with a full head of hair choosing thus condemning me the curse of monthly haircuts, shampoo, conditioner, daily brushing and combing. I envy you lucky bald guys :rolleyes:

The hair thinning concurrent you saw with you taking creatine in the past, IMHO, was just coincidental.

I am just doing Google searches because when @genius mentioned water weight gain, for me that throws up a red flag to the substance “creatine” in some way affecting kidney function.

I am quite sensitive to isolated supplements. I wanted to research it before potentially trying it.

For the quote that you asked the link for, it came up in a Google search for “creatine prostate.” I chose those two words for the Google search because it stands to reason if a substance affects the prostate, it will have repercussions on the kidneys, and vice versa.

In a random Google search, using, I think, the key words “creatine kidney health, the following quote emerged:

“Rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue) and sudden kidney failure was reported in one case involving an athlete taking more than 10 grams daily of creatine for 6 weeks. People with kidney disease, high blood pressure, or liver disease should not take creatine.”

There are a plethora of articles concerning “creatine,” and mostly being positive for those interested in focus and gym gains.

There are also some warnings concerning the production of DHT, water weight gain, kidney liver and digestive health.

At my age and being sensitive to substances in the past, it is not worth the risk, albeit slight, to cause a problem. So, I will pass on it.

At my age, I consider the general health of my internal organs to be more important than a little more muscle mass. I am more interested in firm strong musculature, endurance, sexual strength and a general sense of harmony of body and mind. My 300 pound football body and heavy weightlifting days, were useful as a teenager for competition. Now, I prefer good health maintenance to create longevity.

MY urologist told me that finasteride is taken by men to restore hair. It decreases the amount of a natural body hormone (DHT). Decreasing the amount of DHT leads to increased hair regrowth and slower hair loss. Hair growth on other parts of the body is not affected by finasteride.

Anyway, hair thinning (male pattern baldness as far as I know is prevented by correct choice of your mother's father (joking of course as that's where the problem gene comes from).

My mother's father died at a ripe old age with a full head of hair choosing thus condemning me the curse of monthly haircuts, shampoo, conditioner, daily brushing and combing. I envy you lucky bald guys :rolleyes:

The hair thinning concurrent you saw with you taking creatine in the past, IMHO, was just coincidental.
That's exactly why I'm taking fin. It's definitely helped slow down hair loss.

You might be right with it being coincidental but I rather have hair than bigger muscles at least for now. Of course creatine has more benefits (cognitive) besides strength.

I am just doing Google searches because when @genius mentioned water weight gain, for me that throws up a red flag to the substance “creatine” in some way affecting kidney function..........“Rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue) and sudden kidney failure was reported in one case involving an athlete taking more than 10 grams daily of creatine for 6 weeks. People with kidney disease, high blood pressure, or liver disease should not take creatine.”.....At my age, I consider the general health of my internal organs to be more important than a little more muscle mass. ..... I prefer good health maintenance to create longevity.
The is a saying attributed to Paracelsus sola dosis facit venenum which translate to something like Only the dose makes the poison. Your example is "an athlete taking more than 10 grams daily of creatine for 6 weeks"
So how much more than more than 10 grams daily did this athlete take? And did he have any undiagnosed health issues?

Anything, even something like water, when taken in excess can poison you. It called hyponatremia. Salt intake is required for life but excess salt consumption is unhealthy.

One more thing: I am not trying to keep my muscle mass "to create longevity". I am interested, as I get older, to be able to play with my grandchildren, walk up the 4 steps of my front porch without getting winded, reaching up to my bird feeder to load it with bird seed and even something as basic as being able to get off the toilet without having a health aid assist me.

I strength train 4 times a week to maintain my muscle mass and skeletal structure. If something such as creatine, which is adequately manufactured in younger bodies but older bodies manufacture less of it, requires me to supplement 5g a day, that seems like the right thing to do.

It ain't like I'm injecting steroids.