Good Ginny-wop dago deli food

A salumeria, wtf is that?
Besides Frades, that I mentioned above, you can find a good salumeria in Union City, on Bergenline Ave. La B e l l a Salumeria. It has faded slightly from its former glory, as they no longer make their own salads, but the Italian dishes, the bread and thus the sandwiches... great stuff. Just don't go at lunch time as the line is out the door. :)

Slinky, there are SO many things with B E L L A in it. :) can't we fix that?

Last edited:
The other problem you get with these supermarket deli's is that the old ones used to make there food fresh, some of the newer ones just pull stuff out of a jar ! which is fine but they try to pass it off as fresh!

Dude, it ain't "fine" at all.

You actually taste the stuff they pass off for mayo to increase the shelf life in those canned salads they sell. Even the Thuman's stuff is crap. Yuck!

You actually taste the stuff they pass off for mayo to increase the shelf life in those canned salads they sell. Even the Thuman's stuff is crap. Yuck!
Ok that stuff is crap ! liquid mayo!! some stuff out of the jar is ok to me, thoose hot stuffed pepper in the oil, the roasted peppers. I mean it aint the home made stuff but it will do when your in a rush

OZ Im assumin Tony's pizza is Tuff Tony's from Parkside? Tried it when they first opened and again recently and was underwhelmed both times. Any thing in particular to look out for. I gotta be honest the pizza was pretty bad. Corona pizza is not what it used to be but the regular can sometimes match the glory days.

My fav place was Corona Heights Pork Store run by Frank and MaryLou and their daughter. They had the best heros I've ever had in my life. Freshly made with their homade fresh mozzarell. They closed down last year and nobody knows why or where they went. True loss to the neighborhood. The place next door Corona Park Salumeria is a joke compared to CHPS. I dont know how that place stays in business.

Tony's has been there a few decades.

Didn't know CHPS closed... been about two years since I was there. That's the one I was talking about. That's the place my friends and I would walk out of with a gobagul and provolone on semolina with roasted peppers, garlic and oil and the oil would be dripping down our arms as we watched the bocciball matches.

Last edited:
And thanks everyone for the suggestions, will try some of them out. To be more specific, anybody know of a place that still makes fresh spinach bread and procuito balls specifically?

Faicco's on Bleeker Street. It's primarily a Pork store but has all the things you mentioned plus some. (Bonus point for being by Murray's)

DiPaolo's on Grand and Mott has a tremendous selection of cheese and cured meats.

Not quite a salumeria, but Buonitalia in Chelsea Market is a very good import strore for all foods Italian.

If you want to get good Italian deli in the B e l lville area try Frade's on Joralemon St and Union Ave.

Homemade stromboli, pepperoni bread, meatballs, pastas, broccoli & cavatelli, the works. Also homemade salads and they make a good sub there too. [Good butcher as well]

Geeze, all of a sudden I'm hungry.

There's a number of good Italian spots, including bakeries, in that neighborhood, so ditto.